Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My Mum

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - it’s been quite a few years since I posted here, sorry about that ! I lurk.

My Mum is a 76 year old widow, she’s fit, healthy and wants to ski this year. I accompanied her last year but I can’t this year. Many of her friends have stopped skiing or have never skied so she is faced with traveling alone for a weeks skiing around the 8th March. This is something that she is prepared to do but it’s quite a dull prospect eating alone in a hotel and she’d really prefer to have a ski buddy along.

So she’s not looking for anything romantic, or even a roomie, just someone who might be of a similar age and want to ski 2-4 hours a day in France, Italy or Austria. Someone who likes a hot drink stop, skis conservatively and just takes it easy. As a background my Mum is a house sitter who loves animals (but she’s not a crazy cat lady).

Anyone know who we can pair her off with ? Male or female.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 9-02-20 20:06; edited 5 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty wrote:
Hi - it’s been quite a few years since I posted here, sorry about that ! I lurk.

My Mum is a 76 year old widow, she’s fit, healthy and wants to ski this year. I accompanied her last year but I can’t this year. Many of her friends have stopped skiing or have never skied so she is faced with traveling alone for a weeks skiing around the 8th March. This is something that she is prepared to do but it’s quite a dull prospect eating alone in a hotel, eating alone etc and she’d really prefer to have a ski buddy along.

So she’s not looking for anything romantic, or even a roomie, just someone who might be of a similar age and want to ski 2-4 hours a day in France, Italy or Austria. Someone who likes a hot drink stop, skis conservatively and just takes it easy. As a background my Mum is a house sitter who loves animals (but she’s not a crazy cat lady).

Anyone know who we can pair her off with ? Make or female.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Frosty, surely a bash would be the answer?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Frosty, surely a bash would be the answer?

It might well be. Good idea.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty wrote:

My Mum is a 76 year old widow, she’s fit, healthy and wants to ski this year. I accompanied her last year but I can’t this year. Many of her friends have stopped skiing or have never skied so she is faced with traveling alone for a weeks skiing around the 8th March. This is something that she is prepared to do but it’s quite a dull prospect eating alone in a hotel and she’d really prefer to have a ski buddy along.

Anyone know who we can pair her off with ? Male or female.

She sounds amazing. I agreed that a Bash sounds perfect for her.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ski Miguel holidays could be an option. They do ski guiding each day and is very sociable set up.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for Ski Miguel, have been with my 87 yr old Mum, Ingrid, and it's perfect: they have two guiding groups in the mornings (slower: blues/reds, and faster: reds/blacks) which then meet for lunch, so Mum can ski at her pace, we meet for lunch then she's happy to slow down to ski with us in the afternoons. Appreciate you can't go this time, but Ski Miguel chalets are smallish and sociable and to date everyone has been super friendly. They don't seem to have many single rooms however, but have a chat with the office, they're v helpful.

Also check out the ARP Ski Club (...exists as a non-profit organisation to promote and advance the sport of skiing among those of senior years by bringing together active like-minded people over 50). Mum goes with them on her own and, like snowHeads, they do same sex room shares. Check out their holiday reports from 2019 on the website - note the mention of snowHeads in the Arabba one!

... and your Mum would be made very welcome on a snowHeads bash of course!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Your mum sounds the bee’s knees Frosty.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cinsha wrote:
Your mum sounds the bee’s knees Frosty.
Jude's Mum is also the bee's knees!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep, two fantastic sounding ladies. Pair them up now. I bet they would have a great trip together.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lottster wrote:
Ski Miguel holidays could be an option.

I just looked at the Ski Miquel website and I'm amazed at the prices. They are offering ALL remaining holidays this season (which I hope for their sake is very few) for £499pp HB Inc flights... Shocked

I could easily be tempted and will certainly add them to my list of sites to be checked regularly for the future.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As the snowHeads membership ages I guess Admin will be offering more 'Seniors' holiday packages Toofy Grin
After all the site is nearly 20 years old so the 'originals are all 20 years older Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Speak for yourself boredsurfin. I'm definitely not any older Toofy Grin

Frosty, my father-in-law was introduced to skiing in his 60s, and started going off by himself in his 70s on the "Snowcoach" from London Victoria.
He met another similar old bloke on his first trip alone (to Tignes), and they went together for another 8 years.
(He eventually got stopped by his wife after he made mistake of mentioning some of the ladies they had met there . . . )
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonpim, Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jude1, Your 87 year old mom has to slow down to ski with you?
snow conditions
What a lovely thread!
I’d never heard of ARP Ski Club. I see their 2019 Arabba trip to Hotel Portavescovo coincided with S15BB. I wonder if staff noticed any difference between the two groups?
snow report
PeakyB wrote:
What a lovely thread!
I’d never heard of ARP Ski Club. I see their 2019 Arabba trip to Hotel Portavescovo coincided with S15BB. I wonder if staff noticed any difference between the two groups?

Younger average age on the ARP group? wink
ski holidays
@Frosty, Bit last min but I have sent you a PM.
latest report
@Frosty, + 2 for Ski Miguel . Just back from Baquiera with them & I reckon the average age of the 19 people in the chalet was over 60, including two of over 80 and a 77 year old who skied me off the mountain. Yes all were skiing & it was all very sociable.
snow conditions
mr. mike wrote:
@Jude1, Your 87 year old mom has to slow down to ski with you?

Yes, and we have to call her in from toboganning down the slopes when it's dinner time. "Mum, you must be hungry by now, you only had a few crumbs of a Mars Bar on the chair lift for lunch." (Being a war child she believes in getting her money's worth AND making things last.)

We've been on a few Ski Miguel holidays now and must say haven't had a week where the average age was 60+ - on our trips it's been more like 40-50yrs old, not that it matters much. Colletts holidays are also good and sociable, also a lack of single rooms though.
ski holidays
Red Leon wrote:
lottster wrote:
Ski Miguel holidays could be an option.

I just looked at the Ski Miquel website and I'm amazed at the prices. They are offering ALL remaining holidays this season (which I hope for their sake is very few) for £499pp HB Inc flights... Shocked

I could easily be tempted and will certainly add them to my list of sites to be checked regularly for the future.

I got in touch with them (on Saturday 15/Feb/'20) and 'Nick' of 'Ski Miguel' sent me an e-mail informing me that
The £499 Basic price is correct... But there is a 'Single Room Occupancy' Add On of £200 for Solo Skiers and an extra £35 if your flight is from Manchester.
snow report
@Jude1,
Quote:

Colletts holidays are also good and sociable, also a lack of single rooms though.

Colletts were much more helpful in trying to find me an affordable single room than Ski Miguel, who didn't even try.
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
As the snowHeads membership ages I guess Admin will be offering more 'Seniors' holiday packages Toofy Grin
After all the site is nearly 20 years old so the 'originals are all 20 years older Shocked
So says the snowHead who has never been on a bash rolling eyes

Just because you are getting older, it doesn't mean snowHeads is overall.
We've probably actually got a little younger as a community: remember, we began as the rejected cohort of the somewhat aged Tea Club. snowHeads has evolved a lot in 16 years.

We actually had a snowHead on the Birthday Bash (and EoSB last year) who was conceived on the EoSB 12 years ago!
You see... home grown solutions! snowHead
ski holidays
@admin,
Quote:

We actually had a snowHead on the Birthday Bash (and EoSB last year) who was conceived on the EoSB 12 years ago!

Wow! Every potential SnowHead is sacred eh? snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy