Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Would you ski whilst it’s snowing?

Poster: A snowHead
We are lucky enough to live close enough to the mountains to go there for the day.

We’ve had no snow since early December but it’s forecast to snow tomorrow. We can’t go on Sunday.

Would you still go? The roads will be fine and we have winter tyres. It’s only the skiing that I’m thinking about.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Best time to ski.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
definitely if you can ski in or around the trees as the trees will give definition to the snow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
of course, no question about it. just adapt your skiing to suit...if visibility is really that bad, then stick to areas you know, slow down the skiing and stick to tree runs or the side of the piste where you can see the markers
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
definitely if you can ski in or around the trees as the trees will give definition to the snow.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow on its own is generally no problem, provided you can keep your goggles free of it. Snow combined with high winds is more problematic.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
of course,
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well it's snowing here now, first real snow since the Friday after Christmas. I'm sitting in the warm doing other things. Why would I? Tomorrow is going to be a bluebird powder day, saving myself snowHead But yes when I used to ski 2 weeks a year, out in all conditions.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@LavaLaura, if there is tree skiing yes.

Above the treeline in a proper whiteout it's hard work and generally I give up after a bit. Especially if it's windy aswell.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@LavaLaura, I am in the same boat. I work in the week, but can ski every weekend & hols etc...
Tomorrow I am meant to be skiing with some friends who are out at the moment, but if the weather is pants, I will be indoors by the log fire supping on cans of lager while watching the football. I will probably go out Sunday and Monday when I am "working from home" Smile.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
On holiday I would definitely go skiing when it's snowing , but it isn't always enjoyable . If I knew there was going to be soft stuff at tree level I would be out there. If its poor visibility wind scoured stuff with little prospect of shelter I would wait.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Favourite time to ski if there are trees to play in.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Storm days in the trees are the best days. Far better than when the sun and the crowds come out the day after!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I love skiing in snowfall, best ever. Don't even mind if it's howling wind.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It depends entirely on visibility, type of snow, wind, cold, and whats around me!

I have loved skiing in light, gentle snow, but have hated skiing in a blizzard (terrifying when you can`t see where you are or where you are going) and been miserable skiing in snow that was almost rain!

I`d make a judgement call on the best area to head for, based on any and all information you can gather from forecasts & local knowledge, accepting that it might be a wasted journey if conditions are bad. I`ve been known to ask in local ski hire shops etc in the resort I`m currently in, whereabouts a reasonable drive away it might be worth heading for. That way you can sometimes still get a half days skiing in.
latest report
Only way to get freshies in cham.
latest report
Give me snowing and fresh tracks over blue skies and hard snow any day
snow report
I'm definitely a fair weather skier, but I would still go skiing if it is snowing. Staying low, tree-lined pistes and plenty of warm drink stops.
snow conditions
I would not ski even if I'm paid. Snowboarding FTW Laughing
ski holidays
It can very much depend on one's ability, some people just can't cope with flat light / limited viz and even 4-5cms of new snow can put them off.

I've seen people nearly freeze up with fright though that is in a severe white-out when you have to ski close to the piste markers to make your way down.

Think the issue will be that this new snow will maybe not be enough to cover some of the hard boilerplate underneath or the wind blown sastrugi off piste etc

But it sure is welcome, and one will be primed for first lifts but I suspect for us 10cm might be optimistic down South
snow report
On piste, tree lined, good goggles, good kit, average tekkers - Awesome.
snow conditions
Its snowing heavily now, might have to put a hat on to get to Happy Hour snowHead
ski holidays
@LavaLaura How about you go, and then decide when you arrive whether you ski or snowshoe? This is what we do. If it's a real whiteout, hopelessly foggy, windy etc. then we'll opt to take a walk using the snowshoes. For us, it's much more worthwhile to snowshoe instead of battling through bad conditions just for the sake of it. And it's amazing how quiet and secluded it is just a short distance from the pistes.
ski holidays
It's the best time. When the falling snow makes everything go really quiet and you can hear nothing other than your own tinnitus and the chair lift clattering over the pulleys at each pylon.

Pistes are usually mostly deserted too, cos so many people, including 6day pass holder holidaymakers, must clearly be fair weather skiers only.
latest report
andy wrote:
It's the best time. When the falling snow makes everything go really quiet and you can hear nothing other than your own tinnitus and the chair lift clattering over the pulleys at each pylon.

Laughing Laughing Laughing #atonewithnature for sure haha
latest report
For those choosing not to because they don't feel it's safe- get on the nursery slopes and have fun. Backwards, backwards without falling Very Happy , backwards parallel turns, one legged skiing and all the other dopey things that the grown ups won't appreciate on the piste. Remember fun!
ski holidays
On our trip over Christmas we skied Saturday afternoon. It was sunny but the forecast was for snow the next three days. And I was on a chairlift when I heard these guys saying they weren't expecting them to be but they were hoping the forecasters were wrong. When I was hoping the were correct. I was staying (deliberately) in Les Coches with loads of tree skiing available. And the bonus of course is when the snow stops you have freshies to ski under the blue skies.
snow report
Just do it. We drove in 3" of snow with chains on for 45min yday. It's fine, part of the adventure
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Definitely ski in snow and I don't mind winds either. To be honest low visibility doesn't worry me if I know the area.
Today there was light snow in the afternoon and the crowds vanished. Just my son and I and lovely red runs. Perfect end to the week
snow report
I don't understand the question?
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

+1
ski holidays
....surely the only time to go on the hill?

Oakley Hi Yellow
Neckie
Go.....
ski holidays
As long as it's not a total white out then absolutely...mind you as a holiday skier I'll slide in just about anything.
snow report
under a new name wrote:

I think it's a trap of some kind, I just can't work it out.
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Almost certainly a trick question......
latest report
I probably wouldn't if the temperature was at or above zero. Pants wet, goggles wet, gloves wet throughout, even feet are wet. Nope, didn't enjoy it at all.
latest report
Has anyone mentioned trees?
latest report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Another winter tyre thread, but subtle Madeye-Smiley

Just asked SWMBO, who's now LOLing Toofy Grin she asked, ' it is a skiing forum ?? '

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 17-01-20 18:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Say what?
ski holidays
Assuming it is not a comedy post by the OP...

1. Driveup early and avoid the jams on the hill.
2. Heavy snow improves ski technique because you have to feel, not see
3. Head for the trees.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy