Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Maria Alm / Hochkönig - quick review

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Last day here, staying at Landal apartments. We usually stay in a hotel but we are four adults with a 3 and 5 year old so the space is useful. It is a bit of a schlepp to the gondola but there is also a T bar that you can use to access the gondola (shorter schlepp). Maria Alm has several ski runs but it is best to access the rest of the Hochkönig circuit by going to the very top - Abergalm. Unfortunately there seems to be some paranoia about the wind and often the last chair to the top has been closed, and the gondolas also one day. In fairness, it was pretty windy up there a few times I got out.
I don’t know if this was unusual or not.
The runs are all pretty long which is great. They are mostly red and blue. There are some lovely reds that wind around the mountains. Some of the wide, motorway blues got a bit busy with ski schools etc. The snow conditions depended on where we were. High up, lovely, snowed. Low down, spring conditions and occasional rain.
There are some good places to eat, apart from the restaurant at the Landal resort which is overpriced and ghastly. Toms, the hotel Eder, the Moserwirt. The favourite place, the Bauern something or other was booked up the whole time so we missed that one.
It’s a very friendly resort, the people are lovely.
I think if we came again, we would stay at Dienten so we would be more central in the region.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bauernkasten is the one you are thinking about and it is very popular. You missed a trick by not going to the Dengl though, as it's right on your doorstep and the best steak you will have. It's the same menu and kitchen as the Die Hochkoenigin (nee Thalerhof).
Don't want to jump on your review but I would also recommend the Kronreith and Jufen Alm. They both require a taxi trip up but you can toboggan down from Jufen Alm ( you can also get dragged up on the toboggans by tractor)
Andy, the owner of Kronreith, hunts and prepares all his own meat and the venison is particularly good. He also supplies Bauernkasten with their meat
As with all restaurants in Maria Alm, it is worth booking well in advance to avoid disappointment
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Big fan of Maria Alm area. The Hochkönig provide a stunning backdrop. One of my favourites relaxed Sunday thinking resorts, skiing past barns and through the trees. Dengl good.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy