Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR Peisey Vallandry - Paradiski

Poster: A snowHead
Where: Peisey Vallandry - Paradiski
Accommodation – Club Med
When: 7th April – 14th April
Who: Me – Skier, Son - Snowboarder (20), Nephew – Snowboarder (12), Daughter – Skier (11)
Getting there: EasyJet Manchester to Geneva – 1.5 hours & private transfer to hotel – 2.5 hours
Agent – Iglu Ski

Background:

Having spent weeks debating where to go for our annual Easter break we decided on Peisey Vallandry, a resort/area we’ve not been to before. The past few years have been spent in Avoriaz but with Easter holidays being that bit later this year we decided to go higher. My wife (non skier) decided to stay at home this year so it made sense to use a tour operator rather than DIY with having the kids in tow and I have to say Iglu were brilliant.

Flights:

Getting there was painless and the flight was on time on time. Not sure if we were lucky or the airport have made improvements in the last year but this was the quickest and easiest passage through Geneva I can remember. No queues at Passport Control and bags and skis waiting for us at baggage reclaim. Flight back was slightly delayed, 20 minutes or so, and again our bags were waiting for us at Manchester airport once we cleared immigration.

Transfers:

The transfer was waiting at arrivals and took about 2.5 hours to get to the resort which included a comfort break. Initially we were told it would take 3.5 hours, which I was dreading, so we didn’t find the journey too taxing. The driver took us through Annecy and the lake looked spectacular in the sun. Transfer back took 2 hours which was mainly due to the time we left the resort, 5.30 am, so the traffic was non existent.

Hotel:

This was the second all inclusive ski resort we’ve been to, Alpine Resort and Spa Saalbach being the other, and I have to say the Club Med was out of this world. From arriving at the hotel the staff couldn’t do enough for us, everything ran like clockwork. Our bags were taken off the mini bus and delivered to our room and our skis left at a collection area near the ski lockers.

Club Med basically arranged everything including lift passes, ski hire, we took our own, and lessons, again we didn’t use this facility as we’re all fairly competent skiers/boarders, but everything is included in the price. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were exceptional and although there is an a la carte restaurant we never used it as the buffet was so good. All of the drinks were included which, for us, was a massive bonus, given the costs of drinks in France and there was an extensive wine list available for an extra cost – (house wine was included).

The hotel laid on snacks from 4.00 until 5.00 and canapes from 6.00 until 7.00 which again were of the highest quality. There was always a singer on stage which made the whole experience very relaxing. After dinner there was a show performed by the staff and the night club opened at 10.30 if you still had the energy!!

You could, with 24 hours notice, book lunch at either the Club Med in Les Arc or La Plagne so you didn’t have to trek back to Peisey Vallandry if you were out in the far reaches of the Paradiski area.

Weather and conditions:

It snowed on the day we arrived which refreshed the pistes nicely and 4 out of the 6 days we skied under blue skies and brilliant sun shine. The other 2, Thursday and Friday, were a bit cloudy and miserable but it didn’t dampen our enjoyment. The pistes were in excellent condition for the time of year and apart from some of the lower slopes which got slushy towards the end of the day we couldn’t fault the quality of the snow.

Ski Domain:

As mentioned this was our first visit to the Paradiski and we all really enjoyed it. The area is split across two main resorts, Les Arc and La Plagne, both covered by our lift pass. Peisey Vallandry is located in the middle of the 2 so it made it easy for us to explore the whole area. The Vanoise Express gondola was right outside the hotel which crosses the valley to La Plagne and the Peisey 51 chairlift takes you to the slopes of Peisey Vallandry and beyond to Les Arc. I would say we split our time 50/50 between Les Arc and La Plagne but that had a lot to do with our location, if you was staying in Arc 2000 you wouldn’t trek across to La Plange every day and visa versa. Out of the 2 areas I’d say La Plange just edged it for me, we had a great day on the glacier after a couple of cms of snow and we enjoyed the slopes around Champagny but there’s very little to choose between the 2.

In Conclusion:

We had a fantastic week and would recommend Peisey Vallandry to anyone thinking of the Paradiski area and especially the Club Med hotel. The initial outlay may seem expensive but I believe it offered incredible value for money once you factor in everything that’s included.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have often wondered about the value of Club Med, which if you were going to take everything they offered (hire, lessons, full blown snacks, meals etc) then it may well be.

If its not too rude could I ask approximately what you paid for the whole holiday in the end?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ster, It worked out at just over £1,500 per person all in and I didn't spend another € other than drinks and food at the airport (which at Geneva was almost as much as the whole holiday)!! Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Club Med offer is lessons or guiding (by the ESF). I've not come across anyone who hasn't skied with the instructors before, I thought it was one of, if not the biggest, attractions Puzzled

CM pricing fluctuates a lot, a few UK agents offer the deals, sign up to the Skiline emails for a flavour.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Val Desire wrote:
The Club Med offer is lessons or guiding (by the ESF). I've not come across anyone who hasn't skied with the instructors before,

I lasted half a day! Eleven of us doing the ski school snake taking up the whole piste whilst other skiers were trying to slalom past us - very uncomfortable. Got told off for not "keeping up" after I'd stopped to see if a faller needed any help. The only "instruction" we got was to get our weight forward (OK, fine, but not helpful to be told to do it but now how to do it) and to "Drop your shoulder into the turn". What! That's the opposite to what I've been told before. After lunch I skied alone, (which I hate) but it was preferable to the ESF "instruction".

Didn't go back for the rest of the holiday.

The rest of the Club Med holiday, (Val D'Isere), was very good.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well if drinks and instruction are included, and you don't drink and the instructors are crap, not so good value for money after all!!

In that way, it's a fair review and thanks for posting!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

the instructors are crap

Had that issue at CM P-V where OP stayed. Simply asked for a change in instructor as did four other people in the same group - which says something about that instructor.

"Replacement" instructor was a significant improvement but if you don't like "lessons" (which maybe more like guiding for more advanced students) it's probably not value
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I got introduced to ClubMed a couple of years ago. This year I went to Alpe d’Huez and took advantage of the lessons. I have to say it was worth every penny. I was with a group of about 8 mostly French skiers with an excellent instructor who took us off-piste all week. The instruction was sparing (most skiers in the group were of a high standard) and it was more like having a guide for the week. Combined with just about everything else being included, it was very good value indeed.
Off to P-V next year, so thanks for the above report.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@RedorDead, I’ve been looking at the webcams trying to get a gauge of April slope conditions for La Plagne. However, the webcams are all either above 1900m (conditions look good) or below 1450m (thin strips of white piste surrounded by grass).

Just wondered what the conditions are like in between and at what point the coverage really fails off - especially around the Mont Blanc and Myrtilles runs as they hit the tree line (possibly around 1600m, on the Vanoise Express side of La Plagne)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We didn’t last long with the ‘free’ lessons at Club Med in Peisey Vallandry, but then that’s no great surprise with the ESF. Overall, Club Med was a great success, especially with children. One tiny gripe...
Having paid for all meals we then had the dilemma of eating lunch on a fabulous sunny day inside a huge windowless restaurant at CM or paying all over again to eat on the mountain.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Handy Turnip, Mont Blanc down to the Vanoise Express was fine in the morning although it got a bit heavy going late afternoon. We mainly used the Lac Noir lift to access the higher slopes and the run from the VE down wasn't great even first thing but as it's relatively short it was manageable.

@foxtrotzulu, You make a good point about the eating arrangements although they did do a BBQ on the terrace on the Saturday.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks @RedorDead, that’s really helpful.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@RedorDead, sorry to resurrect this thread, but can you advise if the lift pass you had was a full Paradiski or Les Arcs only? I ask as friends stayed in CM Arcs Extreme earlier this year and, when trying to access the Vanoise Express to ski in La Plagne, found their pass wasn’t valid, even for one day - they’d understood they had full area passes. Enquiry at CM Reception on return, advised that it WAS Les Arcs only, and the usual free day in La Plagne, didn’t apply...... we're considering CM Peisey for next year, so useful to hear your experience? TIA
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Montana,
Quote:

Club Med basically arranged everything including lift passes

Quote:

The area is split across two main resorts, Les Arc and La Plagne, both covered by our lift pass.

I'd infer from this that Club Med provided full Paradiski lift passes to @RedorDead...but maybe they offer both options and charge the extra where necessary?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Montana, I stayed at CM P-V a couple of weeks ago. Our lift pass covered the whole Paradiski area. As it happens, my instructor was excellent and I enjoyed some amazing off-piste with a small group (5-6).
Might be best to double-check with your agent at the point of booking tho.
Cheers, Caspar
ski holidays
@PeakyB, @Caspar, thanks. The agent did advise our friends that it was a full pass, prior to their arrival in Arcs Extreme, and couldn’t explain why it wasn’t. In the event, they had plenty of skiing on the Les Arcs side, and were only a bit peeved as they’d set out early to get to the Vanoise Express expecting a full day over the valley.
snow report
@Montana, on the website Club Med Arc Extreme advertise their ski domain as "Les Arcs", but Club Med Peisey-Vallandry show theirs as "Paradiski" (the difference being understandable given their locations). So everyone probably got what they paid for, even if the agent got it wrong.
latest report
Be careful of the term "full pass" or " full area pass" for les arcs it could mean the full les arcs area as opposed to one covering just the 1600/1800/vallandry side. The correct terms are classic and essential.
ski holidays
@johnE, good point. Do they still refer to the real full one as 'Paradiski' Pass?
ski holidays
@PeakyB, no - that's the problem which confuses. The use titles like 'Classic', 'Essential' and 'Premium'. Nearly got those the wrong way round, which shows how confused the situation is.

Both 'Premium' and 'Essential' are full area passes. 'Paradiski' passes, if you like. The top one gives you some extras but isn't available to mere seasonaires like me. Les Arcs are clearly playing with their marketing to see what sells and are confusing everyone in the process.

I don't know about passes limited to subset of the Les Arc/Peisey/Vallandry area as I haven't seen them advertised, apart from very specific beginners' passes which are clearly a special case.
ski holidays
@Alastair, i was about to buy a half day les arcs pass to be able to have an evening meal in the arpette when the nice ladies in the lift pass office told me that a limited area day pass was cheaper.
I like those lift pass office staff
ski holidays
@johnE, interesting. Sad to say that as a seasonaire/resident I never get to meet them as it's done online. However I hear only good things about them.
snow report
@Montana, the lift pass we received covered the whole area and we didn't have to pay any additional supplement.
ski holidays
Having stayed with Club Med a lot over the years my understanding is that Club Med Arcs Extreme is a 3 Trident resort and the lift pass will only cover Les Arcs. Club Med P-V, Les Arcs Panorama and Plagne 2100 are all 4 Trident and will provide a Paradiski pass.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy