Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What we actually look like skiing vs what we think we look like.

Poster: A snowHead
Not very often I have my photo taken skiing but I had one taken on the ski cross on Saturday. I'd forgotten about it but went to see it yesterday. A good photo but I was skiing like an old man, not active enough. An old man skiing well with good balance but an old man. In my defence I am an old man and I didn't see the photographer otherwise I'd have put in an extra effort. I'll try again, I have the rest of the season Very Happy About 3 years ago I spent weeks trying to get a decent jump photo, much more outside my comfort zone. The best was still very uninspiring Embarassed
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What I look like in pictures depends greatly on which turn I'm performing. Due to a left leg disability pictures of me turning to the right are massively better than those turning left. If someone takes pictures of me in burst mode (so maybe 10 pictures over a pair of turns), opinions would vary from 'All the gear and no idea', to 'Not a bad skier' Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I asked Gary Fat Fingers to take a photo of me skiing for my heart surgeon. I was making an effort, but I still looked like a bag of spanners. Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mrsthecramps took this in Austria last year. Brilliantly the spraying powder makes it look better than it was while simultaneously hiding alot of me. Great pic for a phone though.

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In my head - Franz Klammer. In real life - Frank Spencer.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@thecramps, great photo!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dave of the Marmottes, He's not got his jazz hands high enough. He needs to work on that.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I haven't seen myself ski in years, but had a lesson last month whilst away in Morzine and the instructor had a GoPro Hero 8 and filmed a few runs. The camera was really impressive, stabilisation was really good, especially in comparison to my Hero 3+.... New purchase required.

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@swskier, iirc you can find a £100 rebate on trading in older model GoPros against a new one. I went for an 8 black last year specifically because of the image stabilisation.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@swskier, iirc you can find a £100 rebate on trading in older model GoPros against a new one. I went for an 8 black last year specifically because of the image stabilisation.

Indeed, believe that's still the case, certainly was when I was on the website the other week.

Link to the video for anyone interested in seeing the built in stabilisation.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7qzpKTBEXV/?igshid=1k6iykpmbdt83
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One way I find excellent is skiing with the sun behind and using the shadow to check whether one is leaning or properly angulating. Not a photograph but a dynamic interpretation
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Claude B, a photo is just a moment in time so not necessarily a true representation of your skiing, whether it looks good or bad. Only video will really show something close to reality. Occasionally, I look like I have some idea what I'm doing in photos but anyone who's skied with me will know differently.

Just watch a WC race and they look amazing; Watch it in super-slow-mo and their skis are bouncing all over the place. I suspect photos of Franz Klammer in particular, had a high proportion with legs and arms flailing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@swskier, that is actually really good. we have tried using GoPros when filming clients over the years and they never really worked well enough but looking at that makes me consider getting one !
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
adithorp wrote:
@Claude B, a photo is just a moment in time so not necessarily a true representation of your skiing, whether it looks good or bad. Only video will really show something close to reality. Occasionally, I look like I have some idea what I'm doing in photos but anyone who's skied with me will know differently.

Just watch a WC race and they look amazing; Watch it in super-slow-mo and their skis are bouncing all over the place. I suspect photos of Franz Klammer in particular, had a high proportion with legs and arms flailing.

I actually think the superimposed frame by frame still images from Ron Lemasters books are the best of the lot
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Skiing-Ron-LeMaster/dp/0736079599?tag=amz07b-21
latest report
LOL! When you think you are skiing really fast and someone takes a video and then you see yourself.... the shame Embarassed
latest report
I've just upgraded to the Hero8 (from a different brand camera to be fair) and the image quality and stabilisation is silly impressive. You can see the differences between the videos in my sig (Dolomites 2020 filmed on Hero8). In fact, I may turn down the hypersmooth level as I was following my mate over a few jumps and despite getting air it just looks like I'm floating Very Happy

GoPro will accept any brand/age camera as a trade in. £100 off.
snow conditions
skimummk wrote:
LOL! When you think you are skiing really fast and someone takes a video and then you see yourself.... the shame Embarassed

Also when you ski somewhere steep (i.e. The Swiss Wall) and you show people the photos it looks much more benign than in real-life.
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
@swskier, that is actually really good. we have tried using GoPros when filming clients over the years and they never really worked well enough but looking at that makes me consider getting one !

I was massively impressed. That video has had absolutely nothing done to it post recording. I connected to the instructors camera via the gopro app on my own phone, saved it down, trimmed either end of it, and uploaded.

Really really impressive.
ski holidays
Some of the Skivo2 instructors at Le Praz take video during lessons and then analyse it after with an app called “The Instructor’s Eye”. It allows frame by frame analysis along with touch-drawing on each frame. You think you are skiing like a god, with good angulation and separation etc, but really you are not... Sad
latest report
In my mind I look like Darren Turner

What I actually look like is Hansi Hinterseer, after he has drunk a bottle of Schnapps....including the Yodelling!
snow conditions
Many years ago we were social skiing and one of the group had a video camera, I though I was a reasonable skier until I came into shot, was just about to say who's that guy doing all the shoulder turns when I realised it was me, was mortified but made me determined to learn better techniques
snow conditions
The reality is, ~95% of folks cannot ski.

Not sporty enough, too fat, too little tuition, not enough slopetime, and so on.

Very few folks look good on skis or boards.
latest report
I've been told that I look amazing while skiing. I get a lot of compliments from long time skiers asking how and where I learned to ski. When I tell them I learned to ski as a 4 year old in the Wasatch in Utah, and then as an older child in the Chugach Mtns of Alaska, they all nod in appreciation. Then they ask for a private lesson... rolling eyes

The best compliment I ever received was on a heliski day in BC. I lucked out with a bunch of long time repeat customers and got a slot on their heli when one member of their team had to cancel. I was told at the end of the day, the only other person that came close to my skill was a young Austrian lass who was a ski instructor in St Anton. Although the female skiers on our heli, all said I was better. I'll take it! Very Happy
ski holidays
thecramps wrote:
Mrsthecramps took this in Austria last year. Brilliantly the spraying powder makes it look better than it was while simultaneously hiding alot of me. Great pic for a phone though.

Think I was skiing the same slope.

ski holidays
@Ozboy, Could be, in Warth?
ski holidays
thecramps wrote:
@Ozboy, Could be, in Warth?

Close but in St Anton. Down Steibachtal into Happy Valley. Back in my youth!
snow conditions
@Ozboy, Ah, we were in Warth, not sure exactly without checking map. As you look at the map, i know it was well across to the left end of the area.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think I look like a punter and I'm probably right
ski holidays
Bit like this teenager looking in a mirror and thinking that bleedin mirror is telling fibs again wink
snow conditions
I know I look like this even on a good day Very Happy

[img]https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/56677a4669492e8025100981/1472165403441-EWF64NWUCMJ48MG4KH36/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kPqQfq0L3n3wpHIsRapTfg8UqsxRUqqbr1mOJYKfIPR7LoDQ9mXPOjoJoqy81S2I8N_N4V1vUb5AoIIIbLZhVYxCRW4BPu10St3TBAUQYVKczo5Zn4xktlpMsMj-QlHXeMfNK6GwvtVkYEWiR8XAPyD3GfLCe_DXOSC_YcAacWL_/skier-falling-down?format=1500w[/img]
snow conditions
countryman wrote:
One way I find excellent is skiing with the sun behind and using the shadow to check whether one is leaning or properly angulating. Not a photograph but a dynamic interpretation

@countryman, +1

I used a drone a month or so back to follow me filming whilst I was XC skating to see what my technique was like.

I thought prior to that I was not too bad after I saw it I booked an instructor immediately rolling eyes

It is amazing how you can even catch very good skiers in what looks like the back seat, especially so if screen grabbing from a video Laughing
snow report
Weathercam wrote:

I used a drone a month or so back to follow me filming whilst I was XC skating to see what my technique was like.

I watched the video.

First thing, I'm not sure filming yourself (I assume this is what happened) skiing with a drone is the best way for observing your technique as you have the drone to think about. Better bet is to find someone who will do it - either with the drone or better, a static cam, that way you can focus on skiing.

With cross country there is a continuum of techniques and what we are searching for is the most efficient. The less efficient movements are not wrong, just less efficient.

I guess it is the same with downhill but because gravity is your friend (well until you fall) efficiency of movement is less of an issue to making progress. I wouldn't expect instructors, if you frame by frame, to have bad technique as for "expert" skiers, it depends what that mean, there is a lot of "pro" footage where the technique is a bit rock and roll.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy