Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What goes through your mind when on the slopes?

Poster: A snowHead
In the spirit of the general enquiring posts, what do you think about on the way down?

For me it's a mix of thinking "there's no way this is a blue", picking lumps and shadows out from the piste in front of me and skiing left and right in a slalom style, and thinking that everyone else is looking at me and thinking to themselves "God that guy's a clown!",

Oh, and thinking that such thigh pain MUST be the result of bad technique.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
“Stop lifting your toes up in your boots”
“Get off your inside ski”
“Don’t stack it...please don’t stack it”
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
poo-poo, If I pile in now....!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skiing is about the only time when my head is totally clear! I just love the feeling of going fast and looking around.

I'm sure I won't be the only one to say this Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How lucky am I?!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If its steep I am "self-motivating" - I talk myself through it in my head. Most of the time I am just saying ffs to myself as morons whiz past me.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1. Ride harder!!!!!! (drop shoulder/drive the knees/absorb bumps)
2. Don't be such a wimp
3. Oh ****
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
“Where’s the softest and smoothest snow?”

I don’t actually “think” about it! It’s just an automatic habit that I look for the best snow surface as I cruise along.

So technically, nothing really “go through my mind” when I’m actually skiing. Smile

After all, I’m on holidays. By god I’ll relax and enjoy myself with as little thought as I can manage!

alasdair.graham wrote:
Skiing is about the only time when my head is totally clear! I just love the feeling of going fast and looking around.

I'm sure I won't be the only one to say this Happy

Your confidence is well found. Very Happy

I never “think” much about the slope rating these days. I can ski anything that’s groomed, in normal conditions. If the condition is so bad I have trouble with any slope, I quit without judgment about its rating.

I don’t judge other slope users. And don’t care what others think of my skiing either.

It’s only when I’m off piste and encounter tricky situation that I may stop and collect myself, to “think” about how best to handle it.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 8-02-20 16:04; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Look out for boarders who blind side u break your collarbone ( they think they own the slope with no consideration for others ) not all of them “ not bitter been up at 5 am due to pain
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can tell you the one thing I don’t think about...Work. It’s why skiing is so important to me.
I do think technique type things, especially if trying to really carve on a flattering slope..Things like...chin over toes, “more edge, more edge, more edge”, long leg short leg.
“How did [Mr P] get round that ski school snake in front of me so quickly...while I’m stuck behind”
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Constantly think about improving technique, trying to avoid nervous skiers so as not to put them off and watching out for those going too fast for their ability. Of course most importantly it's about thinking wow what a way to live life
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marodo2712 wrote:
In the spirit of the general enquiring posts, what do you think about on the way down?

For me it's a mix of thinking "there's no way this is a blue", picking lumps and shadows out from the piste in front of me and skiing left and right in a slalom style, and thinking that everyone else is looking at me and thinking to themselves "God that guy's a clown!",

Oh, and thinking that such thigh pain MUST be the result of bad technique.

Very Happy Constantly thinking ‘there is no way this is a blue’!!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I hope my son doesn’t suddenly deliberately turn off-piste for a laugh; lean in your boots; I can’t do this/why am I doing this?; is it too soon to announce I want to go for a coffee; my boots hurt; no way this is a blue; I want to be better than I am; don’t fall over because it’s hard to get back up; if there’s ice I’m stuffed; damn it’s a t-bar; RELAX DAMN YOU!!!

Of course reading this back, I’m reminded of why I’m such a nervous skiier and the fact it’s no wonder with all this negative chatter going on in my head. I’m told I’m not a bad skier it’s just in my head I think I’m terrible. I see the rest of my family beaming and I just feel sick. I keep it to myself because I enjoy it as a holiday and won’t give up. I’m so jealous of all the folk on here who live and breathe it
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Usually not a lot except "please don't stack it and trash the crap knee again / why didn't I get fitter" and if skiing with kids then I'll add "oh god they're getting better than me / they better stop where we told them too"
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
What goes through your mind when on the slopes?

Salade Nicoise for lunch (healthy but boring) or Sag Bol (bad but fun)?
snow report
It did occur to me yesterday that I spend most of my time looking at the piste, failing to appreciate the amazing scenery, and I should probably pause more often to do just that.
ski holidays
Otherwise, it can be anywhere from an almost complete absence of conscious thought when I get into a really nice rhythm of toe edge, heel edge, toe edge, heel edge... to nervously fearing stacking it on one of those horrible flat round- the- mountain blues many boarders hate.

Did exactly that in Whistler years ago and still plays on my mind.
latest report
Keep going down, get forward, why are you trying to hang on with your toes...

And sometimes 'isn't this gorgeous', which makes it all worth it. snowHead
snow report
one two
one two
one two

or sometimes
one
one
one
snow report
Sorry, I forgot; I do blue slopes as well

one two three
one two three
one two three

and so on
snow report
Will it be windy in the Monterosa?

Are Zipfit linners really better than Sidas?

How does the snowplough driver get to work?

Did I remember to switch the oven off?
snow report
johnE wrote:
Sorry, I forgot; I do blue slopes as well

one two three
one two three
one two three

and so on

Viennese or American Waltz?
ski holidays
I love not thinking, I just look

Sometimes it’s looking to be safe when others around
The rest of the time it is sucking it all in - the trees, the snow, the mountains the birds, the engineering,

I also smell as well;)
latest report
If I'm skiing for myself nothing goes through my mind. No conscious thought. Sometimes it's almost as if I forget to breathe.

If I'm trying to improve my skiing I'll have one thought and try to be totally focused on that.

If people are following me a million things go through my mind: how steep, how fast, what's the snow, how much time until coffee, lesson planning, group management, etc, etc.
ski holidays
Depends whether it's morning or afternoon.
Is it coffee o'clock? / Is it beer o'clock?
snow report
Don't bottle that turn, don't bottle that turn. Damn where I am going to turn now. No there's ice there. Phew.
ski holidays
Be Nice please! my thigh is burning. where's the next bar.
latest report
There's always a line running through my head, a mixture of self-instruction and musical earworms

Relax...
No, really, relax...
Whoa... on the brakes... give that school snake a wide pass...
Count heads in the group... all OK
Relax... breathe...
Breathe for pressure, don't say I don't test ya... psychosomatic out of control, dive, dive, dive, inhale, exhale...
Relax...
Work my legs... no, *work* my legs...
Wow, it's a beautiful day!
Count heads again
Where *IS* she?!? oh there she is...
Fly away on my zephyr...

And so on
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Don't fall over. Ow. Don't fall over. Why have they left me behind again? (if I'm following) Where are they? (if I'm in front). Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. <expletive> Ow. Stupid thighs hurting * about 50. Did I pick the wrong skis today/this week?"

It's not constantly that to be fair. There is quite a bit of "This is fun! I did that bit well. These skis are really grippy. I love my skis. Maybe I'm not that <expletive> at skiing after all. What shall I have for lunch?" and of course "What an incredible view" although this does not happen during white-outs as that would be a bit odd even though it's probably a good colour paint for the walls.

There's also a fair bit of working out how to line up a good shot of the children if they're with me and I have the GoPro (on my wrist). Being proud at the little ones doing so well, and pleased to see the big ones having fun. And vice-versa!

The best bit? It's never work, child/school-related issues, the state of my todo list, or family problems. That's one of the biggest reasons I like to ski, because trying to stay alive constantly pushes all those thoughts out my head and it's very hard to do that normally. To get a break from the other stuff even for the duration of a run is priceless!
snow report
Things like, I need to be over there, mind that rock, or it could be turn and turn and turn. Other times it's just turn, turn, turn, turn depends how fast/steep it is.

Sometimes it's oh look there's Mont Blonc or whatever. Or even some animals and then there's always the odd she's pretty, nice bum etc.
snow report
On a good day....”Wheeeeeeeeee!”
On a bad day....”How can I be this old & still so sh** at this?”
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:
Depends whether it's morning or afternoon.
Is it coffee o'clock? / Is it beer o'clock?

...and this...

http://youtube.com/v/8N_tupPBtWQ
ski holidays
In the mornings that the mountains have a timeless majesty, here before us, here after us, makes me feel humble in a good way.

In the afternoon, what wine, beer and food I've got look forward to that evening.
ski holidays
"I'll bake the potatoes and bake some beans with the onions and sausage. We can have the chicken tomorrow with rice, and then garlic spaghetti and meatballs on Wednesday. Frigging boarder, where did he come from? Or maybe i should make mash tonight? Be good with the beans. TREEEEEE! Blimey, that was close. That reminds me, i need to plant my tomatoes and cucumbers when we get home. Wonder if we should go for beer tonight? We could have a couple after we go to the shop, we will need milk and bread for sandwiches tomorrow what the hell is he wearing, chud box round his ankles lol. And cheese. Better get bananas too. Unless we lunch out tomorrow and do sandwiches the day after. Mind you, is football on tonight? What day is it? Did i turn the bedroom lights out?"
latest report
Quote:

TREEEEEE

Laughing
snow report
Checking out the milfs and local talent.
latest report
@thecramps,

Far to relaxed. Get out of your comfort zone

I'll Be Nice please! bake the Be Nice please! potatoes and bake some Be Nice please! beans with the Be Nice please! onions and Be Nice please! sausage. Ohh Be Nice please! poo-poo!

Ski with aggression Laughing
snow report
...how blessed and happy that I am in a place as wonderful as the Arlberg, and being able to ski.

Okay, sometimes I find myself telling myself off for not doing it right, eg finding myself in the backseat in steep, chopped up (what was once) powder. A very direct conversation, like Greta, and offering as many solutions as Greta.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
If I'm skiing for myself nothing goes through my mind. No conscious thought. Sometimes it's almost as if I forget to breathe.

If people are following me a million things go through my mind: how steep, how fast, what's the snow, how much time until coffee, lesson planning, group management, etc, etc.

Exactly this. My favourite thing about sports like skiing is not thinking, just being.

Of course there are times where you have to think about the route, or are trying to feel the snow out at the top of something... But as soon I commit and start skiing not just making turns/working my way in, it's just about being and doing, no thinking.
ski holidays
bambionskiis wrote:
I hope my son doesn’t suddenly deliberately turn off-piste for a laugh; lean in your boots; I can’t do this/why am I doing this?; is it too soon to announce I want to go for a coffee; my boots hurt; no way this is a blue; I want to be better than I am; don’t fall over because it’s hard to get back up; if there’s ice I’m stuffed; damn it’s a t-bar; RELAX DAMN YOU!!!

Of course reading this back, I’m reminded of why I’m such a nervous skiier and the fact it’s no wonder with all this negative chatter going on in my head. I’m told I’m not a bad skier it’s just in my head I think I’m terrible. I see the rest of my family beaming and I just feel sick. I keep it to myself because I enjoy it as a holiday and won’t give up. I’m so jealous of all the folk on here who live and breathe it

Ah yes, the negative inner voice. Familiar to all of us if we're honest.
My way to keep that little sod quiet is to do a few drills, think about my big toes, being balanced in my skis etc.
When things are going well though, no need for any of that, it's just bliss!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy