Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lost credit cards in st anton

Poster: A snowHead
In a bit of small mess while flying solo. Lost phone and credit cards while coming off the train in st anton tonight. I got them back a while later but I had already cancelled my cards. Now i have a lift pass to buy tomorrow with only a few hundred euros in my pocket which I also need to survive on.... any bright ideas how to immediate funds?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@WASHOUT, could you (or a friend) make an online transfer to someone in resort (e.g. your accommodation provider)? Then they could take out the cash and give it to you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@WASHOUT, Can you pay for the lift pass by bank transfer ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's what I was planning to ask the b&b host tomorrow.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Call your bank and/or the card provider, go through their security questions, and they may be able to reinstate the cards. If not, they can maybe arrange emergency cash to be collected from somewhere local
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Option 2 - Revolut virtual card, though how long it will take to open an account is a lottery. Once you have a Revolut account, get the virtual card, top up the account with enough to cover the pass, then pass the phone to the lift pass office and have them type in the number, expiry and CVV from the screen. If you have set the security correctly on the card, it may just work
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you know your cc details simply go online and book your pass through the relevant website, then pick it up at the office tomorrow. (Lots of people photograph their cards with their phones before they go away).

Alternatively, do the same but with someone else's cc (with their permission obviously!)

Edit:
(Just spotted the flaw in my plan, you cancelled! Have someone at home book online, forward you the email, THEN pick it up from the office tomorrow).

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 10-02-20 22:50; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am sure that NatWest have a facility for just your situation which allows you to draw emergency cash from ATMs so I guess other major banks may also
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the help. Just had the brainwave of setting up Google pay on phone.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
St anton is the only resort which seams you cant buy passes online.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

St anton is the only resort which seams you cant buy passes online.

Downer.

Google pay is technically kind of limitless BUT it depends on what the retailer is willing to accept, some will only allow £30.

IF that's the case, and you can't arrange something with your bank, then you could arrange one of those Western Union money transfers from an understanding relative?

(If that doesn't work, mug somebody)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There's a snowhead on snow buddy thread coming out on Wednesday, would it be cheeky to ask him to pick up travelex pre paid charge card that I could stick money in online?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@WASHOUT, you should be asking him not us! Point him to this thread
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SnowHeads are a cantankerous and spikey bunch, but they're also kind, understanding, and willing, give him a PM
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sent them a PM
snow conditions
I'd still explore the Western Union solution, that way you can ski tomorrow.

Anyway, good luck and have fun!
snow conditions
Dead end, they are not coming out.
latest report
What a nightmare! Re activation of cards not possible? That would be the easiest solution!
We had all our money and cards stolen in France a few years back(and tyres slashed!) disaster at the time but the bank gave me an address of a Western Union to go and pick up money that they would wire over.
Didn't use that option in the end but worth speaking to them, in the UK you can withdraw cash at a cashpoint without card in some circumstances so also worth asking about that.
snow report
No cards are dead tried reactivating them. I have a few options mentioned above.
snow report
I think your (understanding) relatives could do the transfer online, let you know where the Western Union outlet is, then you just pick it up in the morning.

It's a pain in the back bottom for them, but at least you'll ski.
ski holidays
No problem for family at home to do that. Seams nearest WU is in lech.
snow report
Up early, bus to Lech.

Needs must.
ski holidays
It's the RJ train or the 91 bus, about 45mins.

First train 6.48.

Fire up the Google maps.
snow report
DON'T FORGET TO TAKE ALL OF YOUR ID!!!!!
snow report
Any options for emergency funds via your travel insurance?
snow report
I am quite sure there is a mechanism where your bank can give you emergency access code & withdraw from an ATM.
Worth looking who you bank with & download their app if they have one.
snow report
If you have access to your own bank account online then you should be able to send money via western union from your own account.
latest report
Would PayPal be any good ? -- send money to your host, they give you the dosh..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Did you get sorted?
ski holidays
Just a follow up. The hotelier sorted out the lift pass with details from my parents credit card and set up with Google pay on mobile.
Going to get one of those travelex pre paid credit cards and keep it separate with minimum money on it to keep it running free for emergency in future.
Thank you for all the sound advice. Of to obergurgl on sat to meet up with some family who are taking out the replacement cards.
snow report
@WASHOUT, glad you got sorted what a nightmare. My Dad lost his wallet when on holiday with us. We knew where, and we returned within 10 minutes, but the wallet had gone along with the occupants of the next table. Fortunately my Mam has another account and we sorted out online transfers and a new pin for her little-used card. They would have been a bit stuck without us to sort it though.
snow conditions
@WASHOUT,
A revlout or monzo would be better as you can control it with your phone & their own app. You can also lock the card & unlock the card.
Banks also have the facility for emergency money from an ATM.
snow report
Well done for getting it sorted! Brought back some bad memories!

Back in early 2000's (age 19 and potentially a bit naive!) had a friend doing a season in Meribel and decided a long weekend with them would be a good plan!

Late Ryan Air flight on Friday night to St Etiene, boot bag never arrived so had ski bag with telemark skis and ski gear everything else was with boots!

Queue for Avis desk, card declined(as had not told them I was going abroad!) no cash! Thought should phone bank, O2 barred International calls! (had just upgraded phones and they reset bar!)

Walk to 3 hotels, hour later find someone who will let my mum pay over the phone whilst I sort out my mess!

Eventually get up to resort mid Saturday, nowhere had telemark boots in a sz12 so go back to Alpine.

Return to airport Monday evening, boots waiting at check in, still in same clothes as Friday morning!
latest report
Great you got sorted.

For others, don't travel with all your cards in one place.

I put one card plus money and money in zipped Jacket pocket.

Put my passport and wallet in front pockets. Less likely to fall out of that pocket than a back pocket.

On phone have a virtual card like Apple pay or Google pay or revolut.
snow report
If you loose a card the bank will normally only post to your home and not your current location.

AMEX will post to where you are in 48 hours. But I think these days the virtual cards give that benefit.
ski holidays
Beauty of things like apple pay etc, as soon as the bank issues a new card the one in your apple wallet gets updated with the new one.
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
@WASHOUT, glad you got sorted what a nightmare. My Dad lost his wallet when on holiday with us. We knew where, and we returned within 10 minutes, but the wallet had gone along with the occupants of the next table...

Just to give a counter point to this one, a friend lost his wallet in Morzine a couple of years ago and whilst out drowning his sorrows with borrowed money got a Facebook message asking if he'd lost his wallet/to confirm a couple of things in it, and finally where he was. 45 min later a car pulls up, a quick chat, (still full) wallet handover, refusal of reward and the car was gone in to the night.

Had something similar in Morzine with a lost drone (only the owner thought it was a good idea to fly it after a couple of hours on the scary cocktail in Happy Hours). A few weeks later the drone owner was contacted by a tortuous route - someone had just found it be pure luck, downloaded the videos, identified a small ski company hoodie, googled them, contacted them, who passed his details to the drone owner.

Good to remember that not everyone who finds a wallet, etc is a scumbag.
ski holidays
@Mjit, yes it is.
snow conditions
I lost my purse somewhere in the house on the day of the 2016 referendum. I was due to travel to London the following morning to say goodbye to some emigrating snowHeads. I got up on the morning of the result, and was delayed by the news. Finally packing my bag , I realised my purse wasn't there. PANIC, as hubby was away in the Lakes, so I couldn't just rely on his card to get me through. I knew it was in the house, but couldn't find it, and time was running out. I managed to transfer some money to my son's account and get the cash out, and set up my debit card while waiting for the train for tap and pay in my Barclays app. When I got home, I found the purse almost immediately. I'd bought some planters the day before and had put them in the greenhouse, purse was inside the pot. Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
I travel with a PO Card, Clarity card and Nationwide VISA... one in pocket, one in bag, one in travelling companions purse/wallet I am not paranoid Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy