Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heli-ski trip to Mestia, Georgia

Poster: A snowHead
Comic timing leaving a powder-tastic Switzerland for the impending heatwave in the Caucasus mountains on the Georgia / Russia border! At least the knees have survived the season and a good weather forecast should mean the heli can fly!

This was the hook...

http://youtube.com/v/dk0bAvz2rXE

Going with an outfit run by a German guide called Flory Kern who runs trips around the world. First request from the guide was to replenish his Snuff stash as it’s running low due to down days!

https://www.flory-kern.de/heliskiing/swanetien

Goodbye Switzerland
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have fun!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looking forward to the TR. Mestia and the Svaneti valley are amazing.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Almost went last week when it was dumping.

Went to sunny Cortina instead so feel your angst.

But you will get to see & ski everything.

Enjoy.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jealous!

Have a great trip and make a full trip report. Georgia Heli absolutely on my to do list!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well that’s better than expected...
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv4Hz8XFnPO/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=kw852t5g03sz
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mate...have a great one...see you the week after?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Our AustroGermanicBrit Brexit busting team for the week

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
All aboard the backache express...

Hope 3 spares is enough Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nice conditions on day 1. Blue skies and 20cm of consolidated powder
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry environment...

She’s a beautiful bird!

#irony
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Remo from Engelberg, our day 1 guide. Nice guy!

#Top Gun with Max and Fabi from Munich

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 8-04-19 12:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ushba
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some Austrians are climbing the South Face. Trying to bribe our chopper pilot to drop us at the top Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Last run of the day. 12 runs, 10,000m of vertical. Heli makes it so (too?) easy...
snow report
Are all the runs, open bowls? That definitely makes it easy. When I was at Mica Creek, all the hard work was below the treeline.
I'm not knocking it - looks amazing!
snow report
Not a bad start Wink
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
Are all the runs, open bowls? That definitely makes it easy. When I was at Mica Creek, all the hard work was below the treeline.
I'm not knocking it - looks amazing!

Yep all open faces up highish (between 3600 and 2500). Too warm for tree runs although I think there is tree stuff earlier in the season. The scope of the terrain is amazing!

This is a typical drop off spot
ski holidays
Perfect corn this afternoon
snow report
@BobinCH please could you provide a breakdown of the costs of this adventure?
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
... Yep all open faces up highish (between 3600 and 2500). Too warm for tree runs although I think there is tree stuff earlier in the season. The scope of the terrain is amazing! ... Too warm for tree runs although I think there is tree stuff earlier in the season.
Sounds a lot like BC late season, depending on the weather. Last year was freakishly cold, but usually it's like what you have there.
Longer days and lack of trees mean that the vertical can get large, depending on the temperature.

BobinCH wrote:
Heli makes it so (too?) easy...

Every day's a powder day. Ok, corn then.
snow report
hd wrote:

It’s €6800 for the week, plus chf600 for flights to Batumi via Istanbul. Add a couple of hundred Euros for beers and tips. And €200 per hour per person if you go above the 14 hours included heli time. We’ve used half in 2 days but bluebird conditions and strong skiers. I compared with Canada and Alaska and it was certainly better value (coming from Europe)
ski holidays
rungsp wrote:
Mate...have a great one...see you the week after?

Back on 13th and the up for Easter weekend snowHead
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
hd wrote:

It’s €6800 for the week, plus chf600 for flights to Batumi via Istanbul. Add a couple of hundred Euros for beers and tips. And €200 per hour per person if you go above the 14 hours included heli time. We’ve used half in 2 days but bluebird conditions and strong skiers. I compared with Canada and Alaska and it was certainly better value (coming from Europe)

That's bloody cheap for heli overages - I've heard of people easily double their trip costs in a good week at Canadian ops.
ski holidays
And Mestia’s a pretty interesting place. And a large beer is 1chf!

http://youtube.com/v/zlQzYK7Llds
snow conditions
Some day 2 GoPro footage

http://youtube.com/v/c-rAAfCBORw

http://youtube.com/v/TEdz1sInY1w

http://youtube.com/v/CgFCLhalEng
snow report
Oh you are going to monster the vertical and heli hours!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I believe the correct protocol for drone flying in such far flung places is to crash it somewhere irretrievable.

What are all the towers for? Grain storage/drying? Or real life Assassin's Creed themepark?
snow report
Day 3 was good!

First drop under Mt Tetnuldi

Went higher for steeper terrain today and glaciated

Snow holding up well
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

What are all the towers for? Grain storage/drying? Or real life Assassin's Creed themepark?

Apparently it’s a status symbol thing. The bigger your tower...
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
Oh you are going to monster the vertical and heli hours!

I think we’ve done 10,000m per day but weather changing tomorrow afternoon so Thursday and Friday uncertain. Today was a big day with some 1500m descents and my legs were feeling it by the end!
ski holidays
Busier than Verbier...

Females are equally tricky to read

Pilot has a great office
ski holidays
That's the terrain you came for
latest report
Muddy start today!
snow report
2 groups drove in to the Laila range to save some heli-time

Svanetian roads have nothing to recommend them. The scenery is stunning...

Dusty chopper

The prize!
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Day 3 was good!

First drop under Mt Tetnuldi

Went higher for steeper terrain today and glaciated

Love the TR and the pics - especially the second one above, it’s superb!
latest report
The Tetnuldi peak and glacier is stunning!

ski holidays
Great TR, thanks!

What's the skiing terrain mostly like? Seems to be mainly mellow open bowls/faces and glacier skiing?

BobinCH wrote:
hd wrote:

This is interesting. The place I went in Alaska (Points North) is $6250 all inclusive for 4 heli-hours, but those 4 hours were equivalent to 3 full days of skiing, probably something like 7-8km vertical per day. There's no way you'd be able to fit 14 hours into a week. It seems like the heli time must be measured differently, somehow?!
latest report
musehead wrote:
Great TR, thanks!

What's the skiing terrain mostly like? Seems to be mainly mellow open bowls/faces and glacier skiing?

BobinCH wrote:
hd wrote:

This is interesting. The place I went in Alaska (Points North) is $6250 all inclusive for 4 heli-hours, but those 4 hours were equivalent to 3 full days of skiing, probably something like 7-8km vertical per day. There's no way you'd be able to fit 14 hours into a week. It seems like the heli time must be measured differently, somehow?!

We were 12 sharing a heli in 3 groups of 4 so perhaps you need to multiply by 3? An average day skiing from 8:00 - 14:30 was about 3.5 hours of heli time for 10-12 runs.

The terrain is mainly big open faces as you can see and a few narrower couloirs. It’s a really stunning area but they wouldn’t let us at the really steep stuff used for the Ushba film. He said it’s just too dangerous with 12 people

What was the terrain like at PNH? That was the Alaskan one that looked by far the best value out there?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy