Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter kids with kids

Poster: A snowHead
Confused newbie here, any advice much appreciated!! So, Mrs B and myself have decided to bite the bullet and take our boys skiing. After much research on snowheads I'm going round in circles... my understanding is that we need to go high, somewhere with other activities for the boys and to go at easter. However, the boys will be 5 and 7 at easter 2021 and I would like them both be in the same ski school class, is this possible in most resorts? A lot of websites seem to change age group at 6 years old.
We would be flying from Leeds or Manchester so destinations are more limited and we would also want self catering. Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We always booked private lessons for our two. Keeping them together was the main reason. They often run them at lunchtime which always worked well for us. Might be an option?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to Snowheads, @Rick B. You'll need to decide where you are going before you can think about ski lessons. That's a looooooooooooooooong time away, so you have plenty of time. I wouldn't worry about other activitiers for the boys- skiing, and mucking about in the snow, is plenty unless they have particularly low boredom thresholds! It might be best for them to be in different groups - hard to tell at this point, and no need to make decisions now. Important thing is that their lessons begin and end at the same time, and in the same place, and that your accommodation is VERY close by. In France, Easter is low season - there'll be plenty of choice of accommodation in high altitude resorts. Do you and your partner ski? Where have you been in the past? What do you like?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Rick B, Many of the ski holiday operators, such as Crystal are not operating over Easter this year. You may have to be more flexible with your flights.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Rick B, welcome to the Easter club! We go every year at Easter, and love it. Great skiing conditions and lunches outside in the sun (generally, anyway!).

You need to do your own research on where to go but we've been to Val Thorens, Avoriaz, Belle Plagne amongst others. We normally book easyJet flights when they come out in October (be quick to get a good price!) and you can start researching Airbnb and homeaway for self catering apartments. Be aware that the best ones in the most snow sure resorts will start to get booked up this summer.

Look for ski in ski out, it makes such a difference for your first time.

Don't worry about ski school too much - ours were 6 and 9 when they first went and have always been in the same class. Less people around at Easter so they tend to group up classes more.

Just playing in the snow is the only non-skiing activity you need - we always end up buying a couple of sledges (or there's some airway in the apartment).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all.
My wife and I haven't ski'd since we were at school so will all be novices, both loved it at the time but never continued for various reasons. Yes lots of research to do! We're really keen on the boys learning together, but sounds like it might not be a problem at easter.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You dont have to go high, go to Scandinavia. They’ll have snow. DIY is really easy. SC seems the norm.

When we went to Trysil the instruction was excellent. The resort was family orientated and relaxed, lots of terrain for beginners, people dont hoon about on the slopes as you can get elsewhere. Not sure if the flights to the new airport near by run as late as Easter but it cuts down the transfer time.

In any case private lessons are not a bad idea.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Took my two to El Tarter, Andorra at that age. Little one was relatively tall for her age so put her in ski school age 5.5 for five days when they specified age 6 and up. Told her not to tell anyone she was 5 as she might get thrown out. Day 2 she told the instructor “actually I’m 5 but don’t tell anyone!” Instructor smiled and carried on for the rest of the week.

Maybe someone here can comment; is the age thing linked to insurance, so under age wouldn’t be covered, or is it an advisory thing which is a proxy for muscle strength and maturity in a class? Those are the two things I can think of.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Easter is a super time to go. Warm, long days pistes not so crowded. lovely slushy bumps.
We DIY'd last easter for 2 weeks. Kids in ESF for lessons lunch and child care till 2. Some will bad mouth ESF but i mainly find its the parents of whiney mamby pambied moany kids. My girls love it, make new friends and learn a bit of french
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I find the ski school groups confusing as my research suggests some start at 5 and some at 6 depending on resort? I think I'll have to send some emails. My 5 yrs old is more physical and confident than the 7 yr old (aka captain sensible).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski Amade, Austria, via Salzburg airport, the kids get free lift passes from mid March when an adult buys 6 days - passes are also free up to 6 years, and lessons are grouped via ability so they would be together. There are many many towns to choose from in Ski Amade. hth Ange snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ster wrote:
You dont have to go high, go to Scandinavia. They’ll have snow. DIY is really easy. SC seems the norm.

When we went to Trysil the instruction was excellent. The resort was family orientated and relaxed, lots of terrain for beginners, people dont hoon about on the slopes as you can get elsewhere. Not sure if the flights to the new airport near by run as late as Easter but it cuts down the transfer time.

Why can't I find this new airport (SCR) on skyscanner?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Rick B, wherever the kids start, they'll be shuffled around if there's any problem.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@flangesax, genuine question.. what's Ski Made like in April? How high does it go?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 9-02-20 13:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mikeycharlton wrote:
ster wrote:

At Christmas I read that they hadn’t got the proper documents to be an international airport. Probably only some red tape. On their website there are flights landing from Copenhagen (SAS Airlines) and Stockholm and Gothenburg (BRA Airlines).
snow conditions
@Mother hucker,
Quote:

Some will bad mouth ESF but i mainly find its the parents of whiney mamby pambied moany kids. My girls love it

So it must be your exceptional parenting skills which make the difference, rather than anything to do with the merits or otherwise of ESF. That will be useful for other parents to know.
ski holidays
mikeycharlton wrote:
ster wrote:

At Christmas I read that they hadn’t got the proper documents to be an international airport. Probably only some red tape. On their website there are flights landing from Copenhagen (SAS Airlines) and Stockholm and Gothenburg (BRA Airlines).
ski holidays
@Themasterpiece, yes precisely. The airport is in proper use now. Odd that it doesn't appear on Skyscanner.
snow report
Themasterpiece wrote:
mikeycharlton wrote:
ster wrote:

That would have been quite an oversight? I seem to remember a bit of hoopla from SkiStar when it opened and I thought I could get fares on SAS website from the UK art the time.

Isnt Copenhagen in another country the last time I checked, so it is operating internationally?
snow report
@Rick B, have you looked at the family bash? Worth keeping an eye out for next year as there are usually some with young beginners. You can't get much higher than Val Thorens!

As an aside, our school rather randomly has 3 weeks off at Easter next year so you might find that yours does too and you could take advantage of some cheaper prices as the majority of schools might only have 2 weeks.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@Mother hucker,
Quote:

Some will bad mouth ESF but i mainly find its the parents of whiney mamby pambied moany kids. My girls love it

So it must be your exceptional parenting skills which make the difference, rather than anything to do with the merits or otherwise of ESF. That will be useful for other parents to know.

Not really. We ski a lot and use the ESF. The complaining parents were the ones whos kids wouldnt let them go in the mornings or felt the instructor was too stern.
Bring your kids up how you want just dont blame the ESF.
latest report
@Handy Turnip, April is spring in the Alps, so, the pistes are hard in the morning, soft by lunchtime, suncream, shades and tshirts are needed for the afternoon. Ange
snow report
@Rick B, @flangesax, is too modest. Go and stay at their place and head to Flachau and Zachensee for your skiing. I'd offer you our apartment that week but the Wife is there with kids and friends. Altenmarkt/Radstadt ski area may be a bit limited so hire a car at Salzburg (Jet 2 flights from Manchester) and then head to Flachau and look at the family ski all inclusive lessons/packages with https://www.fischis-skischule.at/en/ Have a look on our Facebook Page which has few pictures from Easter Last year. As relative novices, you'll probably be heading down before it gets too wet.

Picture from 17 Apr 19 on Flachau Snowspace.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 9-02-20 19:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Rick B wrote:
I find the ski school groups confusing as my research suggests some start at 5 and some at 6 depending on resort? I think I'll have to send some emails. My 5 yrs old is more physical and confident than the 7 yr old (aka captain sensible).

I found some were 3 some 4. Didn’t find any as old as 5 or 6 as the starting age?
ski holidays
Thanks all, will definitely check out Ski Amade. With regards the ski schools groups I'm finding a lot of companies seem to do 3-5 yes and then 6 upwards, so we are really interested in finding out if there are any places which do groups 5 upwards and are snow sure at easter. Private lessons are likely to blow the my budget (but not Mrs B's!!!)
snow conditions
In Andorra group lessons per child were almost half the price of a private. As privates take two, it could be worth getting one. But with children learning it’s all about watching each other fall over. I’d go for group first.
ski holidays
@Rick B, we used this company for many years around Easter when ours were similar ages, could always ski back to La Tania if we wanted to.

https://familyfriendlyskiing.com/
latest report
@Rick B, we used this company for many years around Easter when ours were similar ages, could always ski back to La Tania if we wanted to.

https://familyfriendlyskiing.com/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy