Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anwarter 10 Days course

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, sorry if this was asked before. I'm trying to get information about Anwarter course, ideally the 10 days course. What's like, does it worth the time and money, locations and of course the jobs opportunity. Also the dates it's held. At the moment o can only find all ta for February and April, but that's way to early, I was hoping to go in December
Im planning to train once a week at the ski some until winter and then go for it

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where do you want to work? How's your German? It's still too early for course dates to be out for next season, but some of the teaching Verbands run courses on glaciers in the summer months.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nein German
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nein German but I'm good at learning languages. I'm looking to teach in Austria. Just came back from holiday there and it's absolutely amazing place, I've met loads of instructors, they all seem to love it
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
florentinamitulescu wrote:
Nein German

that'll be 'nein deutch'
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kein Deutsch as in "Ich spreche kein Deutsch"
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Start learning German pretty quickly then, the Anwaerter is, obviously, in German. You'll be on snow during the day, and have lectures in the evening so it is pretty tiring and full on.

There are gap year type providers that do prep weeks to help both your skiing and German and the exam course which might be worth you looking in to, but from my experience they don't really teach you to be able to use the language, more to recite phrases parrot fashion to be able to pass the teach and theory sections of the exam.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@florentinamitulescu, hello and welcome to snowHead 's.

I am a teacher in Radstadt Ski School and have been doing it for a bit now.
I live out in Austria and took the Anwaerter course in Land Salzburg.
This was way before the 'snowsports academy austria' was running their thing (if you know about them).

I had very, very basic German (now I have just lost one 'very') and passed the course in German. I did do a few hours private language tuition in relation to the course which helped a lot.

I also wrote a blog about it all...
As far as i know, the course structure has not changed much during the years.
Happy reading!

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76074
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@flangesax,
We went up in the Radstadt gondola last week with one of your fellow instructors who knows you, said nice things about you!
Our daughter took the Anwaerter exams rather over 20 years ago now. Having failed in December (first time ever failed anything so a bit of a shock to her) she made sure she sat next to a fluent German speaker for the exam.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thank you, i have read your blog, well done
so there's no way they do courses in english? darn, i'll look up through the links regarding german language. my boyfriend passed his last year, he still have his notes from the course, i'll borrow (steal) them from him. he helped me a lot with skiing, i know i have plenty to learn about skiing technique. tbh the anwarter course is more of a personal goal, of course i'd love to actually get to teach one day. the plan is to keep training and learning more during the summer at our local skidome. how do you find teaching skiing? is the pay enough to cover the expenses there including traveling, food, accommodation, outings, equipment etc?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Vienna Verband do offer Anwaerter and Landes courses in English (Snowsports Academy), however unless you do your theory and teach in German, you'll get an English certificate which isn't accepted by some areas in Austria (e.g. Tirol) unless you apply for a Bescheid (which costs, and is only valid for a few years).

Having re-read flangesax's blog, there is a slight difference depending on which Verband you do your course with. For instance in Tirol they have to spend half a day on a snowboard and half a day on blades, and the exam runs are slightly different (Plough, plough parallel and then a funnel corridor). With Snowsports Academy, our exam runs were split in to 2 sections, one was the teaching demos (plough, plug parallel) and one was our own skiing skills (carving long, carving short).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Sitter, sounds like those tests were the same.
There are also variations on first aid requirements. I know that Landes 1 requires a bit of blades and board but was unaware that the Anwaerter did.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Pamski, its always good to know people love our area and make a return visit. Sorry to have missed you, if you return again then give us the nod - Mabel would love to see Cookie again. Happy holidays. Ange
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@flangesax, we will indeed Ange.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
flangesax wrote:
@Sitter, sounds like those tests were the same.
There are also variations on first aid requirements. I know that Landes 1 requires a bit of blades and board but was unaware that the Anwaerter did.

Same stuff tested pretty much, just in slightly different ways. For ours, we had to get a good enough average mark across the two demo runs (plough, plough parallel) and then also across the two Eigenkoennen runs (carving short, carving long) to pass. Fail more than one section (theory, teach, demo, eigenkoennen) and you had to resit the whole 10 days.

No requirement for blades/board at Landes 1 with Vienna, not sure about Tirol but then they don't split the Landes, it's all or nothing (as it is with snowboarding). First aid, we just had to take part for the Anwaerter, i.e. sit through a lecture and do a little bit of practical stuff on snow, no pass/fail or anything like that. For Landes we were actually assessed in it, had to answer a couple of questions on some topics such as what signs you'd see in somebody with frost nip, what you'd use to treat a small cut and how, put somebody in the recovery position. Not really much at all, I'd say only really covered about what you would on a 4 hr course (had to do one for my summer job as they wouldn't recognise either the stuff I'd done in my Landes, or the 2 day outdoor first aid certificate I also have rolling eyes ).
snow report
@florentinamitulescu, you could look at the BASI L1 if you wanted to get a British qualification and an idea of your standard? Tends to be run April onwards indoors, so a bit cheaper and no need to stay in the Alps if you have an indoor snowdome close to you?

https://www.basi.org.uk/BASI/Courses/Alpine/Alpine_level_1/BASI/Courses/Alpine/Alpine_level_1/Alpine_level_1.aspx
latest report
kitenski wrote:
@florentinamitulescu, you could look at the BASI L1 if you wanted to get a British qualification and an idea of your standard? Tends to be run April onwards indoors, so a bit cheaper and no need to stay in the Alps if you have an indoor snowdome close to you?

https://www.basi.org.uk/BASI/Courses/Alpine/Alpine_level_1/BASI/Courses/Alpine/Alpine_level_1/Alpine_level_1.aspx

I looked into it, I believe in Austria they prefer the Anwarter over BASI
latest report
I've done the Anwärter with Snowsports academy (Dutch branch) many years ago. You'll need to understand being trained in German, and speak ski stuff at a basic level.

I found it all well worth it: It massively improved own skiing, though the format is group lessons, the focus of it all made it feel close to full day private lessons. With a lot of technical explaining on the course, I've also been easier to coach, so gained more from lessons afterwards than I would have without the course.

Austrian and Swiss qualifications are better respected in the alpine nations, even for Basi teachers at ISIA level (L3, Landes, Stufe 2). To me it sounds like with some effort on German language skills you might manage, and with that skill, you may be better if in the Austrian system (which does vary from Bundesland to Bundesland on details, only Staatlich is national (surprise, surprise).
latest report
florentinamitulescu wrote:
Hi, sorry if this was asked before. I'm trying to get information about Anwarter course, ideally the 10 days course. What's like, does it worth the time and money, locations and of course the jobs opportunity. Also the dates it's held. At the moment o can only find all ta for February and April, but that's way to early, I was hoping to go in December
Im planning to train once a week at the ski some until winter and then go for it

Thanks

Why don't you ask someone you know very well that's already done it?
snow report
@Powder Pete, isn’t that person pre occupied picking skis? Shocked Shock Confused
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@Powder Pete, isn’t that person pre occupied picking skis? Shocked Shock Confused

Fair point. Getting 2021 Blizzard Brahma 82 next week. They're on order. Might get the 2021 Atomic X9S too.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:

He's ok, he's one of mine
ski holidays
Powder Pete wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Fair point. Getting 2021 Blizzard Brahma 82 next week. They're on order. Might get the 2021 Atomic X9S too.

Stop showing off to steal my attention
ski holidays
Show some respect to your coach Cool
latest report
I did a dual Anwärter (both ski and snowboard) at the Tiroler Verband four years ago. Was all in German (Dutch myself). Before I went, i hadn't had german in school/uni for 5 year or sth so my german was pretty basic too.

- Do you know Duolingo? website with free language courses, I started with that to refresh and it really helped me to at least know some basic words. Then I got there, and I didn't dare to say a word to anyone, but on the second day I just started to speak and that helped me progress so quickly with the language. I was the only dutch person in a group with germans/austrians, and it worked out fine, but I'm happy I did some language prep, because the people that didn't were having a way harder time with the course. (also dutch/german are quite similar in some aspects which helps us a lot with vocabulary).
- The course itself is really about fundamentals. I hadn't skied for 5 years as well (snowboarder) but I did pass the exam just by paying a lot of attention. You will spend a whole morning just doing Gleit- und Schussübungen (go look it up), and most skiing time is spend with Pflugdrehen/Pflugsteuern, although there is some "normal" skiing to practice exercises to do with students and improve your own technique. The exam consists of a Lehrauftritt sometime during the course, during which you have to teach your fellow participants, and the exam day with the funnel etc that was described above. The Lehrauftritt is more about you knowing all the steps to learn a certain technique than your teaching (although they do pay attention to that). It feels weird to have to learn those steps by heart, but those are actually really important to teach people things. They placed some emphasis on the difference between teaching kids and Erwachsenen, since these learn in a different way, so for each technique you got the kids program as well, and there was a kids morning where they told you how to teach really small kids.
Every day you have theory Unterricht as well (auch auf Deutsch) and you end with a theory exam (day before the skiing Prufung is) (you can pass this exam in dubious ways though, but you have to do some studying in german and if you fail it that means your qualification is not valid until you pass, so it is important). If you fail the Lehrauftritt the first time you can often repeat it during the course, but it's also not very advicable (you have to really speak some german to pass the Lehrauftritt though).

Thought maybe this helps in case you are still debating Smile every regional Verband (salzburger/wiener/tiroler are the ones i know) has different course dates so you can best visit each respective website , Wiener Verband has a lot I think and they always have summer, fall, winter, and easter courses.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy