Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do Dolomites VdF run gradings compare?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Shortly off for my first winter Dollies trip Very Happy
Usually ski/board in Austria, Scotland or Lapland.
Looking at the piste map for the Canazei & Val di Fassa area (main base) I suddenly note that they're pretty much all red or black runs (never mind possibly being icy, from what I'm reading on the snow conditions threads, on & off), very few blues.
Bit worried that my boarding skills might not be up to all of them as yet... So anyone able to give me any comparison ideas of how the Italians grade compared to what I'm used to?
Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you've skied in Scotland then you'll be fine. Its fantastic there. Theres only one run I've done in the whole Dolomites area that I didn't enjoy and it was a late afternoon packed mogulfest, too many people trying to get down.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In my experience, Italian blacks are almost always easier than Austrian, and reds are either easier or similar. Including the Canazei area and the Sella Ronda in general.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's all about conditions.
Most head off to he Sella Ronda so the slopes are usually quiet and well groomed

Check out The Great Ski Guide review on YouTube
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Grizzler,
Just back from the dolomites, though I was staying in Val Gardena not VdF I have stayed there before.
Pretty much what the others have said above. If you can board in Scotland you are likely to find much of the dollies reasonably straightforward.
There are a few things to be wary of though, the pistes are usually excellently prepared but many of them get very heavily used and over the course of the day can become very polished with mounds of soft snow at the edge or lumped into moguls. Combine this with high season and the runs that are necessary to get between valleys can be pretty unpleasant as the day progresses with busy sometimes inadequately controlled skiers. In the VdF watch out particularly for the runs down to Pian Frataces as the day progresses.
The most skied runs are the ones for the Sella Ronda in both directions , these are marked either orange or green on the sella piste map and these will be generally busy and get polished as the day progresses. Skiing the slopes bon either side above Pozza will generally be quieter and the gradings are not tough though the black down to Alba is correctly graded , on the other side to Meida the black is often a quieter option than the red and if you area boarder does not involve a long flat bit at the end and is a pretty reddish black.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone. That sounds reassuring. I'll have the skis as well, but have just had some bad experiences last season with 'nice' reds which were, to my brain at least, utterly terrifying and should in part have been graded well the other side of deepest midnight (to which a local instructor, subsequently hired to coax me successfully down one, concurred). On a board, I actually don't mind lumpy, as long as it's soft Laughing
Hopefully will stay off the busiest runs. Not aiming to bag every one, nor the SR in entirety. Just want a relaxing safe holiday to improve my technique and confidence again.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you get around a bit, the area above around st Christina is wonderful.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Grizzler, I'm recently back from my first visit to Flaine. I would say that some bits of their Blue's would be graded a Red in Italy

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 17-02-20 13:45; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
albob wrote:
@Grizzler, I'm recently back from my first visit to Flaine. I would say that some bits of their Blue's would be graded a Red in Italy

A personal opinion is that resort gradings vary as much or more within a country as between countries. Having said that France with it's extra green grading means that on average they don't have the really easy blues and their harder ones would maybe be red in some resorts.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Grizzler, I wouldn’t worry. It’s all a lot easier than anything at Yad Moss. Have fun Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Peter S Laughing Laughing Laughing
And you may recall that you've never seen me on a board there, have you?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would agree in variation
A red in arabba is a black in Alta Badia and a red in seiser alm would be a blue in arabba
Some of the reds in selva are horrid imo but others are like cruisy blues. They are all doable some are fun others are not!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone know a resort full of cruisey greens? After my performance today, it’s what I need!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bambionskiis wrote:
Anyone know a resort full of cruisey greens? After my performance today, it’s what I need!!

France has cruisey greens other EUro countries don't use green . In the dollies Alpe de suisi above Ortisei has a lot of very gentle green equivalents as does the Alta Badia, stick to the blues in either place and you won't get too many nasty shocks.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That’s good to know Tbar; thanks for the tip. I’ll bear that in mind for next time.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy