Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a resort.

Poster: A snowHead
Having rediscovered my skiing legs a couple of years ago after 18 years (dr told me not to ski again after getting severe shin splints aged 19 in Risoul) and a couple of trips to Cervinia since, I’m looking for somewhere different next year.

Key factors to consider.

Budget, can’t be spending loads though am happy to DIY it with easyJet, hire car rather than an organised package. Italy preferable to France or Switzerland on this basis. Might well be flying solo next year.

Having to get a bus to get to the slopes is an absolute no. Rules out loads of Austria.

Snow sure, will likely be going in mid March.
At least 100km of piste, ideally over 150km.
Long runs and minimal lifts a massive plus.
Decent après is welcome but not essential.
Great scenery also a plus point.
Good off piste not really a consideration, I prefer speedy piste skiing.

Hit me up with your suggestions please folks. Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd have thought Flaine would meet most of those criteria.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SKia Optima wrote:

Yes, apart from the country.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mikeycharlton wrote:
SKia Optima wrote:

Yes, apart from the country.

They said preferable, not has to be.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 30-01-20 12:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fly to Venice, stay at Arabba?... or another Sella Ronda-connected town.
- More than enough kms.
- High enough for snow preservation.
- Medium-priced.

There are much cheaper ski areas in the Dolomites, but they are best enjoyed for 2 or 3 days max.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Raptor23, That's nutty that your dr. forbade you from skiing because of...shin splints? Could it have just been ill-fitting boots? No second opinion?

Anyway, I agree with @altaski8, regarding a Sella Ronda town. Just avoid Selva for cost reasons.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try Sauze D'oulx or Sestriere on the Milky Way - Avoid Montgenevre as it's strung out at one end and Sansicario as its dead.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sestriere was one I was considering.

Never come across the Sella Ronda area before, it’s massive!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another vote for the Sella Ronda - Love love love it! We stayed in Selva but it is expensive.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rather superficial approach to Austria, to put it polite...
Plenty of ski-in/out in Austria.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I said rules out loads of...I’d be delighted to hear suggestions if you have any.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bobcat wrote:
Another vote for the Sella Ronda - Love love love it! We stayed in Selva but it is expensive.

We have stayed in Selva a number of times, and will be there again in March, and I can't say that I have noticed it being anymore expensive that all the other resorts we have stayed at in or around the Sella Ronda. Puzzled
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
To be fair I haven't stayed in other resorts in the area!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Saalbach in Austria. Here at the minute and I would say ticks all your boxes and some.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I recommend southern Austria, Slovenia and North-East Italy.
It's way cheaper than Tirol or Salzburg because it is not posh there. Snow is perfect. Plus the southern side of the alps is sunnier than the northern side.
If you are more into partying the this region is not known for it. You can have good food, beer and wine in the huts but there is not that much party. But it's definitely worth the money.
snow conditions
Monterosa sounds like a good fit.
latest report
@alangibson73, Sssh! Don’t tell everyone! snowHead
latest report
alangibson73 wrote:
Saalbach in Austria. Here at the minute and I would say ticks all your boxes and some.

I like the Saalbach ski circus - especially when there's deep and fresh snow. But it's mostly lowish elevation. That shouldn't be a problem unless March is really warm. It also skis a little smaller than it looks on a map IMO... usually only one or two ways down from each lift.
latest report
@altaski8, It’s actually medium height for the Austrian Alps - higher than many. The pisted area (now that it’s linked to Zell am See) is 406 km. I can’t think of any lift that doesn’t have multiple options from the top - none with only one way down (and there are at least 70 lifts!)
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
@altaski8, It’s actually medium height for the Austrian Alps - higher than many. The pisted area (now that it’s linked to Zell am See) is 406 km. I can’t think of any lift that doesn’t have multiple options from the top - none with only one way down (and there are at least 70 lifts!)

Medium elevation for Austria is still low for the Alps, especially in March.
I feel like there are too many lifts and not enough pistes. And as is common in Austria, some of them are narrow zipzag cattracks. I prefer American style resorts with dozens of trail options per each lift. It's actually crazy how high the lift to piste ratio is in Austria.
The skicircus has a few good off-piste areas high up, but I found it a little boring when fresh snow was lacking.
snow report
IMO if Saalbach could have planned the ski area instead of growing organically from the combination of many small-town lifts, it would have ended up much better. I wish they could have focused the resort in Saalbach itself and built dozens of trails on the three surrounding faces with maybe a half dozen lifts. Then they could have preserved some of the natural environment and wilderness in the surrounding mountains. A lot of the skiing in the area is pretty redundant IMO. It's kind of a shame the lift network occupies an area of like 80 square kilometers. The same is true throughout much of the Alps.
snow report
Quote:

Medium elevation for Austria is still low for the Alps,

...but the snow line is lower as you go east, away from the maritime climate of the western Alps. Add around 500m to the height of an eastern Austrian resort to find its equivalent in the western Alps.

Quote:

The skicircus has a few good off-piste areas high up,

It’s on the WC freeride circuit. Fieberbrunn is renowned as a “hidden gem” (although not particularly hidden now that it’s part of the Ski Circus.
The off-piste is actually quite extensive - see Richard Bergenholtz’s videos on YouTube.
snow conditions
Well I think the whole area is overrated. The off-piste seems extensive because there are 10,000 lifts. So you only have to ski, bootpack, or skin a short distance to lots of skiable terrain. But neither the terrain nor the snow is unique for Austria. Off-piste is just as extensive throughout the rest of the country... except many other places you actually have to put in the work to access it. (@tatmanstours, I think I'm helping keep your secret)
ski holidays
Verbier.
ski holidays
Quote:

I wish they could have focused the resort in Saalbach itself and built dozens of trails on the three surrounding faces with maybe a half dozen lifts. Then they could have preserved some of the natural environment and wilderness in the surrounding mountains.

That sounds to me like a pretty good description of Saalbach. It’s the focal point of the area. There are about half a dozen lifts providing access to dozens of runs on the surrounding three mountains. Outside the ski area there are large tracts of wilderness.
The connections to other villages and their ski areas (Hinterglemm, Leogang, Fieberbrunn, Zell am See, Kaprun) are viewed by most people as an enhancement.
latest report
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

I wish they could have focused the resort in Saalbach itself and built dozens of trails on the three surrounding faces with maybe a half dozen lifts. Then they could have preserved some of the natural environment and wilderness in the surrounding mountains.

That sounds to me like a pretty good description of Saalbach. It’s the focal point of the area. There are about half a dozen lifts providing access to dozens of runs on the surrounding three mountains. Outside the ski area there are large tracts of wilderness.
The connections to other villages and their ski areas (Hinterglemm, Leogang, Fieberbrunn, Zell am See, Kaprun) are viewed by most people as an enhancement.

There's no wilderness anywhere around. And sadly hasn't been for a very long time. There are small patches of manmade forests, but that's about it.

An American-style resort would have 100 unique pistes in the mountains surrounding Saalbach. That's what I was referring to. And the more distant surrounding mountains would be true wilderness... without even an Alm to buy a beer. Of course we would have to go back in time at least 500 years to recreate such a world.
latest report
@altaski8, Not sure how a thread originated by someone who only wants to ski on piste has developed into a discussion about the off-piste opportunities, but FWIW I suggest that you have a butchers at the YouTube videos that I mentioned, or better still have a chat with the guys in the Underbar next time you’re in town. You may change your mind about not “having to put in the work” to access the extensive back country that is there to be discovered. You’re not the first not to have discovered it. I can also put you in touch with some good off-piste guides.
snow conditions
Sestriere and the Sella Ronda area still looking as the best bets. For those with knowledge of Sella Ronda, how’s the access in a car, from looking at the topography it feels like many of the resorts could be tricky to access in a car if conditions are unfavourable.

Slovenia is a lovely country having visited for football rather than skiing but I doubt there’s a resort with sufficient piste km for me, happy to be wrong.

Ischgl looks decent but seems very pricey, other Austria suggestions welcome, not sure Saalbach fits the bill, is it snow sure in March?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tatmanstours wrote:
@altaski8, Not sure how a thread originated by someone who only wants to ski on piste has developed into a discussion about the off-piste opportunities, but FWIW I suggest that you have a butchers at the YouTube videos that I mentioned, or better still have a chat with the guys in the Underbar next time you’re in town. You may change your mind about not “having to put in the work” to access the extensive back country that is there to be discovered. You’re not the first not to have discovered it. I can also put you in touch with some good off-piste guides.

Youtube videos are misleading. And guides are a waste of money. I've skied a lifetime of off-piste. In countries like Austria, it is everywhere. But look at a topomap and an annual precipitation map. Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Fieberbrunn is not unique. There are similar mountains with similar weather in every direction. It's close by for me and it's definitely not bad. But it just doesn't stand out for me. I'm glad we all have different opinions and preferences so we don't all flock to the same places.
snow conditions
Quote:

An American-style resort would have 100 unique pistes in the mountains surrounding Saalbach. That's what I was referring to. And the more distant surrounding mountains would be true wilderness.

Again, that’s a pretty good description of what we have here. The only parts of the surrounding mountains that are not a relative wilderness are those that have been developed as ski areas, but there are plenty of high mountains and valleys that are untouched, especially in winter. I use the word “relative”, because you seem to be drawing a comparison with the U.S.A., and I am unable to comment on how different “wildernesses” compare.
Anyway, I would suggest that we bring this thread drift to a close - the O.P. isn’t Grizzly Adams.
ski holidays
No offence chaps but can we stick to what I’m looking for? I’ve no interest in willy waving over the off piste virtues of one resort over another. If I was I’d probably have already booked Chamonix. Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
Quote:

not sure Saalbach fits the bill, is it snow sure in March?

@Raptor23, sorry if I encouraged the thread drift - sometimes that seems to happen by accident.
Anyway to bring the discussion back on piste and answer your question, yes, snow in Saalbach is normally abundant until the season closure around the second week of April, and I have never known it to be difficult or impossible to ski back down to the village. The supply of people dries up before the supply of snow. There is also plenty of slopeside, ski-in ski-out accommodation, so it should be possible to avoid any walking.
As in any resort the quality of the snow varies according to the time of the month, the time of day, the weather and the air temperatures. In the last two seasons I noted that the middle of March happened to be excellent, with fresh snow and cold temperatures. However, March is after all a spring month, and as the sun acquires some strength, especially in the second half of the month and in fine weather, it becomes increasingly worthwhile to pay heed to the orientation of slopes and plan itineraries accordingly.
I would estimate that around half the slopes are south-facing. The tendency is for them to freeze overnight and be quite delightful until late morning. After that it can pay to head for the slopes that face north or west, of which there are plenty (probably around 130 km of piste). Some people advise having a long lunch in late season (mid-March to mid-April), and doing one run in the afternoon, before downloading in a gondola. I can honestly say that I have never found it necessary to follow that advice - but each to his own.
It really is impossible to give accurate guidance on conditions throughout the season. I have known spring weather in January and wintry weather in early April. March is as unpredictable as the rest of the season. We normally expect a cold snap and a dump of snow some time in late March. We also would be surprised not to be able to ski in tee-shirts at some stage during late season. (Incidentally early March is still high season).
Any other questions, ask away - always glad to help.
snow conditions
Quote:

Try Sauze D'oulx or Sestriere on the Milky Way

Good ideas.

Monte Rosa (Champoluc or Alagna) would be good too
ski holidays
Solden could be worth a look. You may need to be a bit picky about accommodation to avoid a bus to the lifts, but there are lifts from either end of town, and if you've hired a car, then there's parking at the lift stations.
snow report
Any thoughts on Pas de la Casa?
latest report
You are 15 years too old for it Wink. Try Soldeu, better placed in the Grandvalira area.
snow report
Been to both Grandvalira and Sella Ronda the last two years at 1/2 term. Agree Soldeu is better placed in Grandvalira but the Sella Ronda area is much, much better in every way. Can’t talk about the après as I have wee kids. I’ve done TRs for both. I have also been to Saalbach, I think 3rd week of March. Most of the area was great but I recall 2 taxing descents in thick, thick porridge. The infamous Piste 2 just after lunch and a mid afternoon descent into Saalbach down the Kohlmais sector. I had been planning to ski back to Hinterglemm via Bernkogel, Hochalm, Zwolferkogel but just had enough and walked across to the Schattberg (north facing) side. Didn’t get a chance to do any après or even lunch there as we had all meals in (stayed at a kinder hotel). Thought I liked slush until then! The pistes were almost all open but the sledging definitely wasn’t. It was a decent size area even before the extensions to Fieberbrunn and Zell am See. Have a look at Madonna di Campiglio. 150kms and 2 hrs from Verona or 2 1/2 from Bergamo. Going there this year.
snow conditions
Rossendale.
snow conditions
PrimroseAndBlue wrote:
Rossendale.
bit short on the km there I think.

@what...snow very helpful thank you.
ski holidays
PrimroseAndBlue wrote:
Rossendale.

Keswick surely?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy