Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alps Rider EU - warning - cancelled transfer

Poster: A snowHead
Just a word of caution to anyone who has a transfer booked with Alps Rider EU, or is considering using them.

We had transfers booked from Geneva to Val Thorens last week, and then back to Geneva this morning (4am).

At 11pm on Thursday night they emailed to say the transfer back to Geneva was cancelled due to an 'unfair competition enquiry' whatever that means. Their email mentioned a refund, but they aren't replying to emails. They did answer the phone, but had no real information.

Managed to book a transfer with another company for an additional €350, so will be looking to recoup that from Alps Rider EU/credit card.

So if you have any transfers booked with them, probably worth checking if they have been cancelled or not.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just had the same thing, for our transfer on Friday.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

'unfair competition enquiry'

I suspect this may be the French authorities clamping down on transfer companies that do not have all the correct paperwork/authorisations in place - I heard rumours of a company having 18 vehicles impounded recently.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RobinS wrote:
Quote:

'unfair competition enquiry'

I suspect this may be the French authorities clamping down on transfer companies that do not have all the correct paperwork/authorisations in place - I heard rumours of a company having 18 vehicles impounded recently.

This is what it said on the email I received from FindTransfers:

"We understand that the reason for the cancellation is an unprecedented and complex "unfair competition enquiry" launched by the French authorities against companies working in France but based in other EU countries, of which there are many in the Alps. This investigation has impacted Alps Rider EU and they are not able to continue operating a full schedule until this investigation has run its course. We have never heard of anything like this happening before and we don't have any more specific details to pass on to you about this, but just want you to be as informed as we are about the situation."
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've emailed them a number of times with no reply, and have spoken to them on the phone chasing up a refund, and they can't tell me when I'll be getting it.

Just about to put in a S75 claim with the credit card company to recover the money for the transfer that was cancelled and the additional amount the new transfer cost.

Thankfully, findtransfers automatically put out a new request for our transfer back, and we ended up using Allotaxi Transfert who were excellent.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would think insurance cover such scenario. So you should be able to claim back the extra spend on alternative transfer?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chippie wrote:
I've emailed them a number of times with no reply, and have spoken to them on the phone chasing up a refund, and they can't tell me when I'll be getting it.

Just about to put in a S75 claim with the credit card company to recover the money for the transfer that was cancelled and the additional amount the new transfer cost.

Thankfully, findtransfers automatically put out a new request for our transfer back, and we ended up using Allotaxi Transfert who were excellent.

I got an email from Alps Rider saying that my refund had been processed, but that it could take 10 days to appear on my statement, so at the minute I don't have the refund and have just booked a replacement transfer with another company.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abc wrote:
I would think insurance cover such scenario. So you should be able to claim back the extra spend on alternative transfer?

Yes, insurance would probably cover it, but a claim under S75 on the credit card is a lot easier in this instance. S75 makes the credit card company jointly liable for the services and also covers consequential loss, and the kicker... no excess.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looking at the Alps Rider website Terms and conditions it would appear that they are a booking service only having no vehicles of their own
Quote:
1.4. By ordering any transfer services from Alpsrider.eu you are entering into contract with the Transfer Service Provider and not with Alpsrider.eu.

Alps Rider is a Latvian company
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have just had the same email.. luckily I have quite a while to rearrange the transfer as we are not going until April.

I know I'll be able to claim a refund through my credit card company if I do not receive it, however I did not know I could claim for the extra it is costing me for a a replacement transfer. Do I go about doing that the same way?

Thanks in advance!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Interesting, lots of unmarked Latvian registered vans in and out of GVA this season, though they are the ones that get pulled at the border (along with Ouibus).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DanB234 wrote:
I have just had the same email.. luckily I have quite a while to rearrange the transfer as we are not going until April.

I know I'll be able to claim a refund through my credit card company if I do not receive it, however I did not know I could claim for the extra it is costing me for a a replacement transfer. Do I go about doing that the same way?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, just contact your credit card company to make a S75 claim (that is Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act)

In total I paid Alps Rider EU €500. They got us there so I'm only expecting €250 (but probably nothing) from them.

Our replacement transfer cost €350, so I will be claiming an additional €100 from Alps Rider EU or from my credit card company.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've used them in previous seasons, without any issues. My new transfer only cost €10 more for the return trip, so it's no biggie.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.ledauphine.com/edition-tarentaise-maurienne/2020/01/17/la-societe-de-vtc-embauchait-des-lituaniens-et-cassait-les-prix?fbclid=IwAR2EEG9wtXNhc72fRNIzqr2CoQn-x4qRL8RJAtMIEgepnxRpN4oeAbwxflQ
See below screenshot from the Valley Echo FB page (3 valleys and around) about a recent incident.
Very dodgy transfer companies operating and causing chaos. The cancellation, even via a legit website quite possibly did you a favour!

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I hear that the Employment inspectors have been very active over the last few weeks, today they hit Val d’Isere en masse and last week it was Grenoble and transfer drivers.

Anyone without the full document pack had vehicle impounded no discussion no debate.

As I understand it everyone working should be able to provide; A1 docs, SIPSI declarations, employment contract, payslips and proof of being paid etc (all in French) either hard copy or on line, in addition Transfer drivers should be able to show trip manifest, cpc licence, medical certificate, drivers licence, record of working hours so it’s quite a bit of stuff. The inspectors were following up late into the evening double checking things too"........... so they’re taking it quite seriously.
latest report
We have got a new quote in of 1200 euros from Geneva to Tignes, up from 1000 euros which was booked with Alps Rider originally. That is for 2x 8 seaters (16 in group).

I am able to hire 2 x 9 seaters for approx £840 with Hertz, this doesn't include fuel etc. This means we can stop off at a supermarket and get stocked up etc. I have never hired before for a trip like this so based on my costs and your experiences would you guys recommend taking to 1200 transfer option or the car hire?

My first thought was the weather but we're going in April so would not have thought that would be a factor. What do you guys think?

Cheers
Dan
snow report
@DanB234, have you tried Alps 2 Alps - use discount code A2A.

Just an aside - hopefully they haven’t been caught up in this?
ski holidays
@DanB234, car hire a much better option if cheaper than a private transfer, IMO. Convenience, the opportunity to stock up on groceries, beer etc at valley range and prices, visit another resort if you choose. The drive to Tignes is pretty straightforward from GVA

A few things to consider: (1) will your hire vehicle have enough luggage space; (2) will the vehicle be equipped with winter equipment (at a minimum snow chains, and preferably winter tyres as well); (3) how much will it cost to park your vehicle in resort. On the second point going in April reduces the chance of roads being snowed-up, but you can get a heavy snow storm at any time of the season so you do need to think about this, even in April.
latest report
@rob@rar, Thanks for getting back to me. Stocking up is the major reason I'm leaning toward hiring!

Luggage space is worrying me, it says on the Hertz website 2 large and 2 small suitcases. I can't see that being accurate as it is a Mercedes Vito 4x4 though. anyone hired one of these before?

They come with winter tyres as standard it says, nothing about chains though.

On parking, the chalet we are staying at includes 3 spaces for free so that is all good too.
snow conditions
@DanB234, if you think you will have a problem with luggage how will you have space to load up with shopping?
latest report
DanB234 wrote:
They come with winter tyres as standard it says, nothing about chains though.
If you are hiring from the Swiss side of Geneva airport all the rental vehicles there come with winter tyres as standard (I believe it is Swiss law that rental cars must be equipped with winter tyres). I don't pre-book snow chains when I hire from GVA and maybe 80% of the time a set of chains will be in the boot (although with winter tyres fitted I can't remember the last time I needed to use chains). This is usually for an Economy grade car. For something like a Merc Vito you might find it difficult to buy the correct size chains in a local supermarket at the end of the season, so if the forecast indicates the chance of arriving in heavy snow it might be a good idea to pay extra at the airport to rent their chains (or you could just play safe and pay for 'winter equipment' when you book, so the minivans should come fully equipped with chains and winter tyres).
snow report
@marcellus, That is pretty much the document set we carry, though after today there will be no new British drivers operating in GVA, as the Swiss are not issuing anymore authorisations for UK passport holders.
snow conditions
RobinS wrote:
@marcellus, That is pretty much the document set we carry, though after today there will be no new British drivers operating in GVA, as the Swiss are not issuing anymore authorisations for UK passport holders.

I've heard that too and suspect there's an element of the Swiss having wanted to stop the UK transfer operators for many years so use this as an opportunity, will everyone have to switch to the route which stays in France and drop off/pick up from the French side (assuming they can work in France legally)?
latest report
DanB234 wrote:
We have got a new quote in of 1200 euros from Geneva to Tignes, up from 1000 euros which was booked with Alps Rider originally. That is for 2x 8 seaters (16 in group).

I am able to hire 2 x 9 seaters for approx £840 with Hertz, this doesn't include fuel etc. This means we can stop off at a supermarket and get stocked up etc. I have never hired before for a trip like this so based on my costs and your experiences would you guys recommend taking to 1200 transfer option or the car hire?

My first thought was the weather but we're going in April so would not have thought that would be a factor. What do you guys think?

Cheers
Dan

We always drive its so much more convenient - if you are worried about luggage space hire a roof rack and take some bungee cords. We carry a portable roofrack just in case the skis (which we hire) don't fit in the car. Often there will be a carpark away from the main lift which gets you onto the slopes much quicker.
ski holidays
a group of us hired a 4x4 vito on the swiss side about 2 years ago, heading to Aosta valley for a weekends touring...
picked the guide and skis etc up in Chamonix ... with seven of us plus skis, boots and a rucksac each etc. we ended up leaving one of the seats and a holdall of other stuff in the shops basement to get all the kit in.
we could possibly have managed if we'd had bags etc on our laps.
a roof rack would have been very handy.
latest report
@marcellus, I think the Swiss are jumping the gun a bit by effectively ignoring the transition period, but for us to work next season will require specific agreements with the French and Swiss authorities - unfortunately I cannot see this as very high on our governments priority list!
latest report
@RobinS, @marcellus, not sure that the Swiss have any obligation to to follow the transition period. They have agreements with the EU. The UK has an agreement with the EU. That doesn't necessarily translate to the Swiss having any agreement with the UK.
snow conditions
ecureuil wrote:
@RobinS, @marcellus, not sure that the Swiss have any obligation to to follow the transition period. They have agreements with the EU. The UK has an agreement with the EU. That doesn't necessarily translate to the Swiss having any agreement with the UK.
I don't know about obligation or not, but the Swiss did agree provisional agreements on a range of issues with the UK to come in to force in the event of no deal. I don't know the details well enough to say whether this would have protected the rights of every UK citizen working in Switzerland, but there was some willingness to have a mutual agreement post-Brexit.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whether the Swiss are jumping the gun or not, whether there is any provisional agreement in place or not who knows, I guess they believe there isn’t.

However, what we do know is that the Swiss have been anti-British transfer drivers/operators for decades so I don’t think anyone can be that surprised that they’ve taken the earliest opportunity to put the knife in.

Perhaps it’s not all the Swiss but the taxi drivers in the canton of GVA who have the ear of the airport and local government.
snow report
Over the last few working days I have had the opportunity to casually walk past a goodly number of parked Latvian/Lithuanian/Estonian registered, unmarked, transfer vans - approximately 50% were displaying the mandatory French transport operators licence - if 50% don't have that are they even insured? (All the vans from recognized companies using French registered vehicles display this). I would recommend travelers go directly to reputable companies, any of whom will be happy to detail their licence numbers etc.

@marcellus,
Quote:

Perhaps it’s not all the Swiss but the taxi drivers in the canton of GVA who have the ear of the airport and local government.

The paperwork is dealt with in Bern, so it's not a local thing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy