Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss Motorway Vignette 2020

Poster: A snowHead
Just went to buy a new Swiss Motorway Vignette from switzerlandtravelcentre.com and I see that there is a £20 booking fee.

I don't remember that £20 fee from last year. Is it new?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Matt1959, Toll Tickets are selling the Swiss vignette for 38 Euros (they're based in Germany so don't offer the CHF price) plus 2.50 Euro postage to the UK: https://www.tolltickets.com/en/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Matt1959, they are CHF40 from service stations and you should be able to pick one up at the BP in Vallorbe unless you are passing through late.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
we always buy ours at the service stations on the swiss side just near the border on the lake road towards Thonon. The 2019 one ( if you have one ) is valid until end of jan. You can also buy them at post offices and there is one in the airport near the hire car desks but do not know exact opening times. You can also buy them at the border but usually only obvious on way into the country.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Matt1959, order from https://www.swisstravelsystem.co.uk/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@BergenBergen, That takes you to the same site with a £20 booking fee.

Thanks all - I can pick one up from a garage when I'm next over in Feb. Just wanted to check that the £20 fee was new.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BergenBergen wrote:
@Matt1959, order from https://www.swisstravelsystem.co.uk/

If you use that link for the swiss vignette it still links to STC and they have the booking fee he mentioned?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Alastair Pink, Yes you are correct, they slip it in at the final payment stage.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
blimey, that's some surcharge.

I just either buy at the last service station before the border, where there's no additional fee, or directly at the border crossing. Sometimes for the Swiss one I buy from the local ADAC shop, again with no fee. The queue at Basel for example on a Saturday am is much longer in the lane for cars with a vignette than the queue to buy one from the sales guy, so while it may be inconvenient to wind the window down and stick your PIN in the card reader, you'll actually save a few minutes over having one already stuck in the window.

The biggest surcharge I've seen for a sticker is the German emission sticker... £14.90+pp for a sticker that was €7. Bargain.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I don't remember that £20 fee from last year. Is it new?

There has always been one but i think it used to be £14 a couple of years ago. Fortunately I can go and pick one up from the office near Covent Garden
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@andy, ...at Jougne going into CH it’s usually the other way around...big Q for buying them, small line for those already with them....so we take advantage of the 5 day amnesty in January to drive around with last year’s sticker and then buy one going OUT of CH in Jan (usually 3 or 4th jan) so we have one going back in again in Feb. Simples.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@valais2, think the previous year’s is valid for the whole of Jan and there is no need to have one to cross border. Can be purchased on CH side at the BP at Vallorbe.

I am fairly certain our rental car last weekend had a 19 sticker.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@valais2, it possibly may depend on time of year? eventually nearly everyone crossing the border has a sticker for the year, and only tourists don't. This was probably for a March ski trip rather than Jan.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ozboy, ...ah...thought it was 5 days....better that it’s all of Jan.....we never begrudge paying it...cheaper per km than the toll around Birmingham or the Dartford Crossing.....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@valais2, yes I also think its good value when compared to other toll systems. We get our's from the CO-OP in Monthey when we are there in December or January.
snow report
Can you pay at BP Vallorbe for it with a euro-only card?
latest report
@MHskier Most Swiss shops take €uros cash but I can't confirm re a €uro-only debit card. So if you have €uro notes you should be able to use them, even if there's a glitch with your plastic. Although, given you're transiting Switzerland, I assume you'll get some CHFs cash anyway, so why not just add the 40 CHFs to that?

From what I can see, the Swiss border station at Creux (nr Vallorbe) has a lane specifically for people who need to get a vignette (far right side -see Google Earth street view). I assumed that you just go into the border post and buy one from them, although there is indeed a BP garage there as well. The problem is if you transit the border at a time when it's not manned or when the BP garage isn't open. You then won't be able to use the E2/A9 down to Lausanne, and have to detour on 'B' roads.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 3-02-20 18:41; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Was hoping not to bother getting CHFs as just passing through to SBT, but yes will have euros in cash.
snow conditions
Alternatively, just set your satnav to 'avoid vignettes' - unless, of course, you are a transfer operator, or otherwise expect to have a strong need for the Swiss motorway.
latest report
'avoid vignettes' adds 1h 23m to our journey. Obviously, this may not apply to other destinations but this is why for some of us, the extra CHF 40 (£31) is worth it. At the end section of an 800 Kms drive, I'm happy to fork out £15.50 to get there 83m sooner. But I know that for some, the money saved is worth the extra drive time.
latest report
@LaForet, 83mins is indeed a strong need for motorway.
ski holidays
@MHskier, as a contingency you could use a UK credit card and pay the couple of pounds in fees but I’m fairly sure the border BP will take Euros given the amount of French they serve daily.
snow report
Pay cash in any currency at the border. Not sure the rate will be that good though.

https://www.ezv.admin.ch/ezv/en/home/information-individuals/documents-for-travellers-and-road-taxes/motorway-charge-sticker--vignette-/motorway-charge-sticker--other-important-information.html
snow report
When I went thru vallorbe late one night about 15 years ago, there was a vending machine to buy the vignette
ski holidays
40 Euro cash at vallorbe border - dont stick it if you can avoid - can then be sold on!
(not on Ebay mind - they shut that loophole down a few years ago!)
ski holidays
@martinperry, if you do that and get caught then you’ll be fined the same as if you had not bought it at all.
snow conditions
@Nadenoodlee, put a small amount of lip salve or vaseline on the glass and only push down the corners. The vignette looks as if its fixed but easy enough to peel off and use in another vehicle. Would not advise selling on ebay though.
ski holidays
Blimey, a lot of greif for 40Chf. How much as % is that of the overall cost of the holiday.

Imagine the outcry if some nasty foreigners tried to avoid the M6 or other tolls.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've never understood why we don't do something similar. Give the ferries and Chanel Tunnel a cut for collecting the revenue and away you go.
snow conditions
@Gilberts Fridge, No need to imagine, over 1M unpaid fines for the Dartford Crossing https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-40996859
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy