Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mounting Touring Bindings - Technical Question

Poster: A snowHead
We removed our Diamir Fritschi bindings from our touring skis, for ease of transportation.

We now need to remount the bindings but are wondering whether we need to add a dab of adhesive to the screws when we do so.

Is it prudent to do that, or is it recommended that we just put the screws back in as they are? (ie adhesive-less) Puzzled

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well it wasn't prudent to remove them in the first place as it's the fastest way to leave you with screws that won't properly torque up again, especially on a lightweight construction ski.

But now that you've done it then yes, you should apply some waterproof PVA adhesive to the holes before remounting the bindings.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh! Shocked

Thanks @spyderjon.

Fingers crossed...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
So it looks like I will need to remove the heel piece of one of my touring bindings in order to reinstall the brake.

Any tips on removing the binding in a manner least likely to cause the problems mentioned by spyderjon?

It’s a Plum Guide binding on a Scott Scrapper ski. I used 2 part epoxy as the “sealant” when fitting the bindings
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Arno, Not directly (or at all in fact) related but how do you like the Scrappers? Got my eye on them as a ski to fill a gap in between my R98's and Ragnaroks.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Arno, use a soldering iron directly on the screwheads for 10-20 seconds depending on the power of the iron, then the screws come out just dandy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Arno, epoxy wasn't at all necessary when you did the initial installation - an exterior PVA was the correct glue - the purpose of the adhesive is to lubricate the self tapping thread and to seal from water ingress as opposed to actually bonding the screw in to the hole.

So you'll need to first soften the epoxy to break the bond for which you'll need a soldering iron. After letting it warm up hold it vertically in the slot in the screw head for 20-25 seconds and then gently undo the screw with a no.3 pozi screwdriver. If there's no movement after applying firm pressure on the screwdriver then give the screw another 10 seconds of heat as you need the screw to release from the epoxy rather than the epoxy staying bonded to the screw and tearing out of the core.

@Markymark29, the Scrappers are excellent and the 105 would bridge the gap (if you think it actually needs bridging) as would the WD Altum 104.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you need to remove bindings for transport have you considered quiver killers?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@KenX, @spyderjon, thanks, gents

@Markymark29, really pleased with the Scrappers. Seriously considering whether they can be my 1 ski quiver. The only thing I haven't really tested them on it high speed carving. I know they're not going to beat a dedicated piste ski for this but if they are in the same ballpark as my Blizzard Cochises that will be good enough
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Arno, the 105 is handy on piste. The 115 is more fun though and generally more betterer for gnar gnar with added Jerémie
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Sharkymark, I was talking to someone who was painting the 115 as a bit of a super stiff plank. Would be nice to try but not keen to buy based on that report alone
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks@Arno, i'm thinking the 105 rather than the 115 anyway, not a high priority right now, but may keep a look out over the summer for a pair.

@spyderjon, Let me know if you have any sometime, it'll not be now but after CV19 may (hopefully) be in the market.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
WASHOUT,

I don't know anything about quiver killers... Puzzled

The binding removal wasn't intended to be a regular thing. Just a 1 off when we had to move extra kit in January. With the touring bindings removed we squeezed 3 pairs of skis into 1 double bag (2 downhill pairs, with bindings, and a touring pair without). I haven't tried remounting yet - almost daren't following spyderjon's response.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bergmeister, https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/quiver-killer-inserts.html
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon,

Thanks. They look good!

So, if the worst comes to the worst, I presumably could use those on my tourers? Puzzled
snow report
Yep
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy