Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Base layer - odlo vs icebreaker

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone has experience in either in terms of how warm/good these are? Odlo is significantly cheaper, not sure whether I can get dome light merino versionbof icebreaker?

Aldo, maybe there are cheaper alternatives to icebreaker for merino and odlo for synthetic?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bober02, I have some Icebreaker. They last ages, warm, but not hot. I've bought most of them in Sportpursuit sales and from Amazon.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a thin stretchy Odlo synthetic base layer which has lasted for years and has good wicking properties and wear a 150 Icebreaker merino layer or 200 Mons Royal merino on top of it with a GTX shell. As per @Hells Bells, the Icebreaker wears so well compared to cheaper alternatives that bobble / get holes in them.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't have any Icebreaker coz it's too spendy for me, but I do have several Helly Hansen merino/merino mix base layers, and a few merino from Mons Royale. Both are frequently available in the sales, but for any replacements I do tend towards the Mons Royale ones and just pick them up when I see them below €45. MR is really nice to wear, and I do use them for everyday (got some t-shirts too) as well as sports use.

Never use synthetic. Too stinky, what's the point?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have Icebreaker tops 120, 200 and probably something in between and they wear and wear and not at all stinky. Have had them for years.
I think I am like Prince Andrew and don’t sweat...
I will look out for Mons Royale
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Icebreaker is brilliant. There is a sale section on their website
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Pamski, You don't need to be like that horror show of a man! Synthetics stink almost immediately they get sweaty, but merino can last all week. I expect your Icebreaker tops are pretty good quality, too.

Even though it's more expensive per item, merino is more efficient cost and packing space wise, as you don't need as many (or to do as much washing).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Had Icebreaker 200 and a heavy weight mid for the last 6/7 years, they stay fresh and don't wear, as others have said. Would never go back to synthetic.

I see Icebreaker on sport pursuit a lot, 40-50% off, serious bargain. I paid full price originally, but would again if I had to; worth every penny.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Icebreaker is great, have a couple of their tops of different weight and love them, but also have Aldi merino tops (can't get much cheaper than that!) which must be 10 years old and have been used for skiing, hiking, sailing and just day to day when it has been cold and are still going strong.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks! I can see positive stuff about icebreaker, what about odlo? Any more comments?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’ve got one Odlo baselayer (50% merino/synthetic) which is okay. It more of a casual top I use when out in the cold but not doing any sports.

Nothing bad about it and just as good as all my other stuff from Norrøna, Icebreaker, Helly Hansen, Devold and Smartwool.

Helly Hansen Lifa Merino is my go to baselayer for skiing.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've worn Odlo long sleeve tops for over 20 years (with the odd trip to the washing machine Laughing ) for skiing and hill/mountain walking. Not wool ones though: I'm allergic to wool. Use them as top or in between layers, as needed. Love 'em to bits.
Weren't at all cheap when I originally bought the tops, but they're still going really strong, no deterioration in the material or garment.
Can't comment on the other brand.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ok, I guess I will get both merino and odlo and try, and send back whatever I don't like
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have an Icebreaker 200. It's superb, you can wear it for three days without odour. I wear it for trail walking in the winter months. Watch out for a sale. I have one with a short zip which makes it very flexible.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’ve got Patagonia synthetic baselayers. They are treated with a silver ion treatment and Do not smell. I wore one as an experiment and did 12 days without stink. I am wearing an Uluvang merino blend and guess what it doesn’t breathe as well, isn’t as warm and it smells. I’ve a fine merino hat, it’s really itchy, something people have said about base layers too.

The functional requirement of a base layer is wicking only. Good synthetics wick better than merino. To me a good synthetic base layer is better than merino.
latest report
Another big thumbs up for Odlo. Quite expensive, but warm, transport sweat well, last for ever and definitely not stinky.
ski holidays
bober02 wrote:
Thanks! I can see positive stuff about icebreaker, what about odlo? Any more comments?

Have odlo 3/4 base pants, love them. Fit really well, I like the tight elastic support round the thighs and knees, they're warm and wick without getting stinky. No complaints
snow report
Patagonia is the way to go
latest report
Being lucky enough to call the land of merino home, and having lots of cheap factory shops, I go mons Royale over icebreaker every time for base layers.

Can be had real cheap on sale, nicer style (less fitted/longer if you are tall) and lasts longer. Icebreaker isn’t that durable by comparison. No difference in performance - feels like the same material. But icebreaker gear seems to go on the seams.
ski holidays
There are lots of different merino options. I personally like Smartwool and also have some Ulvang.

Bergfreund.eu are currently having a Merino clothing sale: https://www.bergfreunde.eu/
ski holidays
hang11 wrote:
Being lucky enough to call the land of merino home, and having lots of cheap factory shops, I go mons Royale over icebreaker every time for base layers.

Interesting. I take it you are on the south island? You know of any on the north island, specifically in the Auckland area? Or how do I find out where they are? I should be visiting later in the year... I'll hit you up for tips Toofy Grin
snow conditions
have a go at torpedo 7 - big clearance store at Sylvia park which is an easy train ride from central Auckland

Dress mart in onehunga has mons and icebreaker outlets.
latest report
If you mean IB outlets ?
One in south Auckland,Mangere near the Auckland airport and a store at the airport another in Albany over on the Auckland North shore .
I wouldnt expect much as NZ can be very different or hit and miss but I didnt visit the above.... although believe I saw the Mangere centre from the road .
Visited the Otaki one further south which is a relaxed typical quite country main drag and picked up some IB items .

https://www.google.com/maps/place/203+Main+Highway,+Otaki+5512,+New+Zealand/@-40.762606,175.1551512,3a,75y,331.22h,89.43t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sb4hA2GxYmecZvAcfxbXPUQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3Db4hA2GxYmecZvAcfxbXPUQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.gws-prod%2Flocal-details-getcard.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D86%26h%3D86%26yaw%3D309.6276%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x6d40912442a4fad1:0x8d08b8b993fb1aac!8m2!3d-40.7625333!4d175.1550133

7H TRITON DRIVE
ALBANY
NORTH SHORE CITY, AUCKLAND
NEW ZEALAND
TEL: 0064 9 476 3620

MAP IT
AUCKLAND SHOPPING CENTRE
AIRPORT SHOPPING CENTRE, SHOP 13
1 JOHN GOULTER DRIVE
MANGERE, AUCKLAND
NEW ZEALAND
TEL: 0064 9 256 9185
latest report
@hang11, @Tirol 164, More MR, but if I can try stuff on and get it at a good price, I don't mind too much. Thanks for the tips, I'll look them up when I go (which won't be until Oct/Nov ish)
snow report
Best time of year to score a bargain on end of season winter gear. Wouldn’t buy icebreaker from one of their high street stores they are just there to ream tourists. Especially the airport and mall ones.
snow conditions
I can give a personal thumbs up to the mons merino/Tercel tops. Made to keep you cool. Currently 31 degrees inside my house at 11pm with air conditioning going at warp 9 and it is way cooler than a normal t shirt

Fekin hate Nz summers !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy