Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zauchensee and Altenmarkt - ski school, hire and snowchains?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. We are over in March with 3 children 5,9 and 11yrs. Would love any experiences with ski school Walchhofer their kinderland looks great for our 5 yr old plus prob good option for end of March.Also Hervis Altenmarkt for ski hire. All new to skiing so is the most basic ski hire option ok?Other questions... Does Zauch have ski lockers for hire and are snow chains often required for the main road in? Thanks heaps.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@EEN, Hervis is probably the cheapest for basic ski hire, and I haven't heard any negative comments about any of the ski schools here. There are lockers in the main arena at Zauchensee, but I have never used them. The road up to Zauch occasionally has a snow chain requirement if there has been a heavy snowfall, it happened a couple of times last year during the snowmageddon (in fact the road was closed for a couple of days due to avalanche risk), but I would say that's fairly rare in March. The other option is to use the other side, motorway exit at Flachauwinkl, park at Highport, ski over, but that might be tricky with small children.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@EEN, Don't bother with snowchains and save the cash. If the road is bad on a given day then just jump on the free skibus from Altenmarkt. Also don't order ski passes in advance. If you're after 16 March then your kids will all ski free on a Family pass. Sometimes the ski school prices have pass included so if they should be free then make sure you're not paying for them.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@queenie pretty please, thanks heaps for your help again looks like this should.work.well.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@RedandWhiteFlachau, thanks for the tips.will get passes when we arrive. Bus if bad weather seems a better option than snow chains.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi @EEN,
Skischule Walchhofer is great. (https://www.top-alpin.at). The instructors have a strong sense of fun and really enthusiastic. In my experience they were good at grouping kids by age as well as ability so small/young beginners went with other small/young beginners. I used them in Zauchensee 4 years in a row for my kids, starting age 3. We also had an 11 year old in our ski group who enjoyed, and was stretched by, the more advanced levels offered by the ski school.

Bobo the penguin will join the kids on the snow some days. To get your kids in the mood, help them learn the bobo dance! This video is taken in the nursery slope area:
http://youtube.com/v/_iUOLKQH-ZM

The school holds races and medal ceremony (everyone gets a medal) on the last day of ski school. I switched to a different resort last year and missed the quality of the Walchhofer ski school.

The main lift in Zauchensee (called zauchensee roskopf) is an 8 person gondola which lets you access some good beginner friendly runs.This means the instructors can often take beginners up the mountain on day 2 after a single day on the nursery runs at the bottom. The lift starts next to the ski school meeting point and 100m or so from the nursery run area. The nursery area has a couple of magic carpets / conveyor belts which work well for the first day. There is a drag lift down the bottom too (called Ul See), but mostly the school goes up the gondola as its easier for beginners than a drag lift.

Can't comment on the the access drive as we stayed in Zauch itself.

Hope you enjoy your trip.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nothing to fault about all this lot of snowHead 's comments!!
Another thumbs up from a local wink

Hervis rentals are perfect for beginners. Pretty well prices too.
More advanced skiers may find their gear a little tired but there might be newer stock this season.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@meeper, Hi. Thanks so.much for the info, great review of the ski school. Looks like the place for us. Did you find.many other English speaking kids there?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@flangesax, Thanks heaps again
Sounds a good bet for our families ski gear and good prices with kids free.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks like the adults and childrens ski courses start on different days. Sunday for kids and Monday for adults. Would prefer a adults lesson on the sunday to keep in time with the kids. Any thoughts or suggestions?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
EEN wrote:
@meeper, Hi. Thanks so.much for the info, great review of the ski school. Looks like the place for us. Did you find.many other English speaking kids there?

English kids were very much a minority, but they tended to group them together and the instructors spoke English. Over the years a mix of Austrian, German, Dutch and Scandinavian instructors, with the "imports" mostly there to cope with the school holiday peaks.

There is a small British tour operator in the resort (Ski Hillwood), mainly operating out of the ZauchenseeHof hotel, which means there are usually some English kids in the ski school.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@meeper, thanks.again. A bit of a problem with adults not able to start the same day as kids. Great if not a beginner but as we need lessons could be a wasted day for us. Any easy lifts we could just practice on as beginners for that day?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@EEN, beginners as on never skied before? No no no. Get a private lesson
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi. i have been on 3 ski weeks before but 25 yrs ago and recently been to the snowdome to try it again and had a few lessons. Can plough turn, stop and working on parellel (prob rubbish terminology but best i can do). OH is a total beginner.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@EEN, have you contacted the ski school to book lessons? It makes sense to book them all for the same days, so if one school can't offer what you want, try another. The nearer ski area at Radstadt/Altenmarkt might be a better option, ski schools there are Schischule Radstadt and Happy.
snow conditions
@queenie pretty please, thanks, you made me think re private instead. Just got in touch and looks like group private with my eldest girls is the way to go and little one in childrens group class. Walchhofers and Happy can both offer this so looking good!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy