Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nevica..any good?

Poster: A snowHead
Probably need a new ski jacket and thought that maybe its a good time to buy one for next season as there appear to be some sales. I've just looked at the sports direct site and there seems to be Nevica stuff being sold at supposedly massively reduced prices. Nevica Vail jacket £48 with 10,000 waterproofness and 10,000 breathabilty, sounds like a high quality jacket. This was reduced from £190 allegedly. Has anybody bought and used a Nevica Jacket recently. I know sports direct buy named brands and then produce low quality items just using the name. Karrimore to name one.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nevica is not as good as it was back in the day. IME Karrimore has been excellent quality for its price, re Fleeces, Gilets and Base Layers. Not used their jackets though.

Nevica will get the job done...but I'd rather have Surfanic from TK Maxx.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@FrequentFaller, bought something similar spec for my daughter.

She has been happy with it, used in conditions down to -12 in sweden we no complaints, she also uses it over at the riding stables. Noticed the other day that the back got completely soaked through so I redid the waterproofing using TekWax but she hasn’t been riding in similar downpour since. As she is quite slight and slow going she had been using it since 2015 / 2016 season. Some of the colouring / paint stuff is wearing of the zips from the various washes but it has been well used, and certainly worth what I paid for it which wasn’t much over £20 in clearance at the end of the season.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nevica are one of the brands Sports Direct have bought to sell their own stuff under. So essentially you are buying an unknown make of jacket with a branded label. I think it's a bit of a stretch to say they produce low quality items though, the quality of much of the stuff they sell is actually remarkably good considering the price they sell them for.

Their £199 jackets typically sell for around the £100 mark (maybe even £120 in the main season) so £48 is a good price. Their quality is pretty good but obviously they aren't as good as a £400 top name jacket, but then you won't get one of those new for £48.

So as always it's a bit of a trade of. The Nevica Vail jacket for £48 is a good deal and you can always return it if you're buying online and don't like it.

PS. Here's a report from another thread on the forum.

Quote:
The Nevica Vail Jacket did me great for 2 weeks in Whistler last year then this year 3 zips pulled off I was told by customer care that issues show them selves in the first couple of months well It was bought for me for Xmas and not worn till Easter 2016 so how was that going to happen?
They said me I had had fair use out of it and it wasn't a fault it was general wear and tear, It had only been washed once aswell !

I don't think I did as I still have 4 old jackets that have been fault free and all cheaper than the Nevica one, dare2b trespass, Columbia, Nevica.

In its defence.
It was warm, I didn't get cold in 3 weeks skiing apart from the gale blowing through the chest pocket in the 3rd week. It had loads of pockets a little glasses cleaning cloth, hood etc.
I just feel really disappointed as I have a 25 year old Nevica that is in mint condition after much more use.
I had the matching trousers aswell
So I would say buy with a bit of caution as for the 2 items my wife probably paid £140 and I now have to get the zips repaired to reuse. Or reinvest in something better quality.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 5-03-18 10:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@FrequentFaller, I've had a couple in the last few years, they've been 'OK but no more' and both faded badly on the shoulders within a few weeks. I've found Mountain Warehouse better (and especially so if you live in/near Brighton, where they have clearance items upstairs in their store, I picked up a decent jacket for £25).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Think Dare2B stuff is much better.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Far better to buy a 2nd hand eider or Salomon off ebay if you want an insulated jacket.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are great bargains to be had from decent brands, if you look at outlets like Sport Pursuit and TK Maxx.

I managed to get a 300GBP Scott Goretex/Insulated Jacket for my Son, for 45 Quid from Sports-Outlet.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 5-03-18 20:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Decathlon clothing also better.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ok I'll keep looking.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Definitely try TKMaxx - some absolute bargains in there. They had this year's Mammut Alyeksa for £250 at one point (£600+ RRP), and my sister got a lovely Volkl 20k/20k shell for £80. Go online and have a rummage through a few different branches if there's more than one nearby.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A friend bought one for our France trip in January this year, he tried in on at home and it looked fine, but whilst skiing in it he realised that although the zip would go up, the zipper wouldn't bind it together properly so it kept opening from the middle outwards.

It looked like a nice jacket, but it was a waste of his time and money (although he did eventually get his money back). He ended up skiing in a borrowed berghaus shell and a fleece or two.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Plus one for Sport Pursuit here - Bergans, 2117 and Kilpi are excellent, good value Scandinavian brands they feature.

Never been impressed with Dare2B, Trespass is better than Nevica but if you can get German brand Killtech from TK Maxx, you've done well. Mrs LOTA got a lovely jacket for £42 which we found retailing for more than 320 Euro in Saalbach!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree the trespass. Enter stuff is decent. Eldest daughter has a jacket and pants
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bought a Nevica one 3 years ago for around £50 and it's fine . Never let me down in anyway including last years freezing conditions
latest report
I've had a Nevica jacket from sports direct for the last 4/5 years (about 10 weeks skiing), no complaints although I'd say when it dies it will be the zips that let go. It's certainly a warmer jacket than the togg it replaced though. At £48 can you really go wrong?
snow report
I bought one as a spare/utility coat as it was very cheap. Had some excellent Nevica stuff in the 80s so gave in.

The modern jacket was nasty. Poor cut, sticky zips, baggy sleeves, smelly material that didn't breathe and was crinkly. Used at the fridge once, then demoted from sledging to bike washing duties before going to charity after little wear.

I'd say it was a false economy and look else where it save up.
ski holidays
From my experience (a few years ago, admittedly) the best entry level gear was Surfanic. Their 10k pants are really good and they have some good prints/patterns.

Trespass is also worth a look.
snow conditions
My son have a jacket he have used for maximum ½ a year. The zipper sled broke a few months ago. So I am not buying Nevica stuff anymore.
snow report
We had a lads trip to Les Gets a year or so ago, one of the lads, new to skiing, bought a cheap Nevica ski jacket for the trip. The first day he wore it on the trip he found that the main zipper while it would close, just kept opening, the teeth wouldn't hold together, so it was pretty useless. He borrowed one of the lads shell jackets and layered up underneath for the rest of the trip, but it put all of us off Nevica for life.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy