Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Race skis off piste?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all - new to forum, have a random question here as I don’t ski as much as I used to:

Today I took out some 185cm Fischer RC4 World Cup RC skis. Apparently they are race-inspired skis, GS i think with a 18m radius. Seeing how it was dumping snow it didn't take me long to take them off-piste and into some trees (I guess what many of you call side-country). And to be honest, I didn’t have any problem with the at all. Granted it was only about 10-15cm of fresh snow and the terrain was not difficult.

Now I used to ski a fair amount, up to 30-40 days a season in my youth, and I grew up learning to ski in the 80s and early 90s when my daily drivers were 203cm straight as an arrow race ski, and I went off-piste all the time then too. Since I am only skiing a coupe days or a week every year to two now, I’m super confused about all the ski variants now (race, front-side, front all-mountain, feee ride, all-mountain, etc etc ad nauseam). Are skis like “all-mountains” so much better for light off-piste? Because the last time I tried a pair I didn’t find much a difference in off-piste performance compared to today’s Fischers, and once I got those all-mountain skis onto the piste they were crap: soft, couldn’t hold a line, etc. etc. Note I don’t ski fast either.

Anyway, a long ramble to ask whether this “new” infinite variety of ski types is more of a fad or marketing gimmick or if I’m missing something? Or do I not need to worry about all-mountain or free-ride skis unless I have a “quiver” and only take them out in the right conditions? Or do some proper off-piste...

If it matters, I’m 197cm/6’5” and weigh 95kg...

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not a fad. The bottom line is however that a good skier will make pretty much any ski work, but happiness is a ski that skis like you do.

I must say that a bit of width under foot does make soft snow a lot more fun (at least for me).

If you are curious, then demo a few different skis and see how you go.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It makes a big difference. Older technique revolved around shortish turns, achieved through Strong Up-Unweighting/Bouncing/Avalement.

Going with wider Skis, that have Off Piste specific features, like Tip and Tail Rocker, opens up the type of turns you can do, as you float up and ski On the snow, rather than In the snow.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 29-01-20 17:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I should also add that ski construction has evolved considerably. It is possible to made a mid-90mm ski that would put shade on a GS ski of a few years ago. I know because I am on one such ski: the Stöckli Stormrider 95. Phenomenal edge hold on ice, reasonable float (I am 90kg & 193cm), and stable at high speed. Beats up crud.

It probably won’t beat a Kästle FX116 in powder or a true GS ski on ice, but unless you want to have a quiver, it is a pretty damn good compromise.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ulmerhutte wrote:
I should also add that ski construction has evolved considerably. It is possible to made a mid-90mm ski that would put shade on a GS ski of a few years ago. I know because I am on one such ski: the Stöckli Stormrider 95. Phenomenal edge hold on ice, reasonable float (I am 90kg & 193cm), and stable at high speed. Beats up crud.

It probably won’t beat a Kästle FX116 in powder or a true GS ski on ice, but unless you want to have a quiver, it is a pretty damn good compromise.

I believe you that SR95's are awesome but they DEFINITELY won't beat a true GS on ice!
I'd definitely like a pair as a one ski quiver though.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Stuedma,
Quote:

Today I took out some 185cm Fischer RC4 World Cup RC skis. Apparently they are race-inspired skis, GS i think with a 18m radius. Seeing how it was dumping snow it didn't take me long to take them off-piste and into some trees (I guess what many of you call side-country). And to be honest, I didn’t have any problem with the at all. Granted it was only about 10-15cm of fresh snow and the terrain was not difficult.

Funnily enough I was on my old Stockli Stormrider XLs on Monday. These are 2005 year skis but probably aren't that different from your RC4's in that they are built like race skis, 18m radius, full sidecut, traditional camber. They are 75mm in the waist but only 174cm (but then I'm 74kg not 95kg!). These were designed as GS skis but a bit wider to make them more fun off piste. They were my one ski quiver for 6 years and I skied them off piste a lot. Conditions on Monday were a little fresh - say 10cm.

Had a great time. They are great offpiste, especially if you are willing to ski them fast. I used to struggle when the snow got deep and damp/heavy but in light/shallow powder they are totally fine. You do need a bit more technique than if you are on fat skis and fat skis would be even more fun in fresh but you don't NEED them
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And not being a great race ski aficionado has not race ski design evolved with larger shovels / tips which would also help in soft snow?

I skied the Salomon SForce back in December and thought it was great on the piste and I see that it's Fall Lines All Mountain ski of the year ?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well, thanks everyone for the feedback! Old Fartbag made a good point, my technique is definitely still old school, with that big unweighting and bouncing around. Will need to work on this.

It sounds like the answer is, as always, to ski more and try out differently skis. Ski-wise I’ll check out the models mentioned here and others that are a bit wider underfoot. I might also finally get those lessons I’ve been meaning to get for a while now and modernize my technique. Never hurts to keep learning....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stuedma wrote:
Well, thanks everyone for the feedback! Old Fartbag made a good point, my technique is definitely still old school, with that big unweighting and bouncing around. Will need to work on this.

It sounds like the answer is, as always, to ski more and try out differently skis. Ski-wise I’ll check out the models mentioned here and others that are a bit wider underfoot. I might also finally get those lessons I’ve been meaning to get for a while now and modernize my technique. Never hurts to keep learning....

The wider end of the AM Skis (Over 90 underfoot) are decent On and Off Piste....but it's going into Freeride Ski Territory (110+ underfoot), where things get interesting. They can cope with Piste skiing, but their forte if Off the beaten track.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 29-01-20 20:02; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm an 'Old School' skier and took quite a while to make the move from straight skis to carvers as I found the early versions to be to flexible and I tended to get high-sided when I finished turns!

I have since taken to Head i.Speeds and love them. I also very much like Rossi Hero Elite Long Turns and I have found that the long turns are surprisingly good off piste. I had them for a week in Austria last January when the powder was awesome and really enjoyed them in the deep stuff. The Heads are no where near as good and are harder work and less predictable in powder (despite being excellent in slush). I wonder if it has something to so with the sidecut? The straighter skis being more predictable as the lack of pronounced sidecut makes the ski behave evenly throughout the turn in an old-school way.

Those are my thoughts anyhow.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stuedma wrote:
Are skis like “all-mountains” so much better for light off-piste? Because the last time I tried a pair I didn’t find much a difference in off-piste performance compared to today’s Fischers, and once I got those all-mountain skis onto the piste they were crap: soft, couldn’t hold a line, etc. etc. Note I don’t ski fast either.

I don't have "cheater" race skis, but real deal, real World cup stock Rossi FIS race skis (either SL, GS or SG), and honestly I really don't like them in anything soft, and certainly not off piste. But it's normal, these skis are done for high speed, super icy conditions, and there's no "all mountain" ski that could come even close to performance of this on piste. For off piste, all-mountain/freeride/powder skis are way way better then race skis. So for me personally, I would never say anything over 65mm is decent on piste, and anything under 90mm is decent off piste Very Happy Sure you can ski deep pow with race GS skis, and sure you can somehow slide down icy course with freeride skis, but it's nowhere near as much fun as you egt with proper skis for certain conditions.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy