Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rossignol Hero Elite Skis

Poster: A snowHead
I’m looking at getting some Hero elite MTs - either the carbon or titanium, or the plus.

https://www.rossignol.com/uk/catalog/product/view/id/354780/s/rossignol-hero-elite-mt-ti-konect-skis-alpine-rahld01-000-2018-2019/category/411/

I’m using rental 170cm 2017/2018 Rossignol Hero elite ATs at the moment, and really like them.

The new rossignol sizes are 167 or 175, and I am about 176 ish tall and 67kg. Upper intermediate, struggle on steep black runs but get down them. Should I be shooting for the 167 or the 175?

I tried the 2017/2018 163cm AT and it doesn’t feel quite as nice as the 170, but I’m worried that 175 will be too long so am thinking 167?

Should I be going for carbon or titanium? Would carbon be best given that I’m light(ish!)?

Thanks for any input!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Would not suggest going longer, I'd suggest 167 would work better.

Carbon is lighter, less well damped, Titanal heavier, better damped. Personally I'd go metal (it isn't titanium, BTW, just good marketing).

You may find some difference between a rental ski and a retail ski. Manufacturers have been known, especially on "mass market" models, to use somewhat cheaper materials and manufacturing in rental skis, but with the same graphics.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I haven't used them but based on your stats and preferences I would go 167. Not sure either about the different models but I would tend towards the lighter and softer option. Good choice but quite a high performance ski so get some input from a good instructor to make sure you are using them properly!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another option is the React R8 series. I'm 174 cm, 85 kg and have these in a 176, a bit more manageable that the Hero's and although I've only used in a snowdome so far, do all I ask,

I think at your weight 167 is good.

https://www.rossignol.com/uk/railf02-000.html
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks folks - some great advice. I’ll go for the 167 then.

I also tried the Rossignol 84 experience AI 168cm and loved those on a powdery day. I was surprised as I tried all mountain skis in Aspen last Jan and didn’t like them. Appreciate many variables though...

As those are all mountain skis, should I be sizing up to 176cm?

The 168 were great, but conscious of the fact I’ll hopefully progress and I’ve been told to go a bit longer with all mountain.

May buy both skis.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just sold my full retail 2017/18 Hero Elite All Turns as I managed to acquire a pair of 2018/19 Hero Elite plus Ti with the intention of selling the one I liked least.

The Allturns have been lovely but the Elite plus are better so the Allturns had to go.

The Elite plus go from edge to edge just as quickly, 4mm wider in the waist, the Elite plus is heavier but much more stiff and stable when the piste gets clattery. Both carve short radius turns easily and open up easily into the longer turns.

One caveat I weigh 100kg and find the Elite plus at 167 perfect.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@anjunabeats, I wouldn't think the Exp 84s are sufficiently different to the Heros to make much if any difference.

"All mountain" IMHO is 95mm+ ... and I don't think you necessarily need to go longer for "all mountain".
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Timc wrote:
Just sold my full retail 2017/18 Hero Elite All Turns as I managed to acquire a pair of 2018/19 Hero Elite plus Ti with the intention of selling the one I liked least.

The Allturns have been lovely but the Elite plus are better so the Allturns had to go.

The Elite plus go from edge to edge just as quickly, 4mm wider in the waist, the Elite plus is heavier but much more stiff and stable when the piste gets clattery. Both carve short radius turns easily and open up easily into the longer turns.

One caveat I weigh 100kg and find the Elite plus at 167 perfect.

Thanks. I was also looking at the plus model, but wondered if the Hero Elite MT ti / ca might suit me more. The wider waist could be handy though...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
@anjunabeats, I wouldn't think the Exp 84s are sufficiently different to the Heros to make much if any difference.

"All mountain" IMHO is 95mm+ ... and I don't think you necessarily need to go longer for "all mountain".

Thanks. I did feel quite a difference between the ATs and the Experience with the ATs being a lot more aggressive/sharp, but I might be best off sticking with a Hero Elite model for now, and then getting some fatter skis...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Timc, interesting. I got some HE ATs just after you, I recall. Still enjoying them very much as a short radius all-round ski, although I've always really wanted the STs (when I can afford then). Get used on well-pisted and soft, chopped and Scottish conditions.

I was going to suggest to the OP to look at the All Turns - a really good all round ski and pretty lightweight (to carry as well as to ski), a great boon for a maturing, smallish, lighter weight, aching girly like me!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Grizzler, Yes, I remember, I loved mine 95% of the time but they let me down a couple of times on early morning steep icy pistes. I got the Elite +Ti's for an absolute bargain from Ebay in the summer, tried them against each other prior to the ski test at Hemel in October and loved them both but the TI's better. Took the Tis in the Pre season bash which confirmed my new love and just sold the Allturns today. I think that the extra stiffness in the Tis suit my 100kg better. Got more for my Allturns than I paid for the TIs Double win Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@anjunabeats, you might have “felt” a difference on piste, but off piste, they are not going to be as much help as other stuff worth looking at Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skis don't know your height, but they do know your weight. 167.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@anjunabeats, you might have “felt” a difference on piste, but off piste, they are not going to be as much help as other stuff worth looking at Happy

That makes sense. What’s a good place to start looking at off-piste fatter skis in terms of models etc?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@anjunabeats, there are those on here who would disagree but I think about 95-100 underfoot is a good compromise.

If you like Rossis, they have a couple of models, well reviewed.

I’d also think Völkl.
ski holidays
On ski length, have you got time to pop to a snow done before you buy? They often have a single make/model of ski for general hire - but in a range of lengths. Start with one length then swap them for longer/shorter half way through your session.

I'm a smilar height/weight but find I prefer skis that are 'too long' for me. I tried the above test and preferred the longer ones but then maybe I'm just used to longer skis - from memory my old Rossi. Radical 8SL's at 176 and my Sky 7HD's are 188.
ski holidays
@anjunabeats, I tried the Elite MT CA in 167cm at the PSB last year and liked them a lot. I just bought some Elite MT Ti in 167cm and having been using them these past four days at a small resort near Stockholm. I’m 180 and 83 kg and was debating the longer length, but decided to go with the shorter skis. Happy with my choice.

Other similar option that I only hear good things about are the Dynastar speedzone 12.
snow report
Mjit wrote:
On ski length, have you got time to pop to a snow done before you buy? They often have a single make/model of ski for general hire - but in a range of lengths. Start with one length then swap them for longer/shorter half way through your session.

I will be back in the 3 Valleys (Le Praz 1300 / Courchevel) in Jan so that’s a possibility.

I have a feeling the 167 is going to be great for me, based on that old 170cm AT.

I may just bite the bullet and go for them, and then during my trip I can hire some fatter skis if the snow comes in as I would like to try it. Being on race skis in 40cm or so of powder was quite tough for me at Orelle the other day. Amazing snow though!
snow conditions
Themasterpiece wrote:
@anjunabeats, I tried the Elite MT CA in 167cm at the PSB last year and liked them a lot. I just bought some Elite MT Ti in 167cm and having been using them these past four days at a small resort near Stockholm. I’m 180 and 83 kg and was debating the longer length, but decided to go with the shorter skis. Happy with my choice.

Other similar option that I only hear good things about are the Dynastar speedzone 12.

Good to hear!

My instructor friend in the 3Vs told me Dynastar is part of the same group and is a similar (or the same?) ski under another brand?

Must try and get to the PSB next time!
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@anjunabeats, there are those on here who would disagree but I think about 95-100 underfoot is a good compromise.

If you like Rossis, they have a couple of models, well reviewed.

I’d also think Völkl.

Thanks. I’ll bear those numbers in mind when I’m back in the 3Vs next year.

I’m also going to Park City in Utah in Jan and have heard the snow there is great so maybe that could be a good time to try wider skis...
ski holidays
anjunabeats wrote:
My instructor friend in the 3Vs told me Dynastar is part of the same group and is a similar (or the same?) ski under another brand?

I damaged my SL8s a few years back and had to drop them in to a shop for a couple of days to be repaired. While they were in they lent me a pair of Dynastars that seemed to be identical to my Rossi's other than the top sheet. Same length/width/slant nose/tail shape/bindings/etc.

According to Wikipedia (so flip a coin if it's correct or not) Rossignol, Dynastar, Lang and Look are all currently owned a Swedish investment group and the Boix-Vives family.
snow report
@anjunabeats, oooh. Park City. Love it. Yes, Utah snow can be awesome.
ski holidays
Been doing a bit more research as I have time before I pull the trigger on my skis before my next alps trip to the 3Vs in Jan.

Where would skis like the Volkl Deacon 74 or 76 sit against the Rossignol? Would the Volkl racetiger (SL?) be too serious a ski?

My concerns are nimbleness and also not getting a ski that’s too stiff for my ability/weight etc. Stiffness wise the carbon Rossi AT 170cm 2017/2018 was fine. Hopefully the Ti Rossi MT won’t be “worse” for me? I struggle to invest in the carbon MT when the Ti is available....!

Is there any negative to the racing plate versions of these skis as well? I don’t mind spending the money for the right skis...

The deacon 84 was also recommended to me by an instructor (I assume I’d be looking at the 172 of that ski given it has a little more rocker?) as a great all rounder.

On paper I just think I’d prefer to be on a more typical narrow waist piste ski and then get a 2nd mid width ski to go with it for the choppier days and maybe the odd drift off to the side of piste. I have BA gold so it’s easy for me to check in a double ski bag for free...

As mentioned before, I liked the Rossi Experience 84AI on a fresh snow day. As I’m mainly skiing in the alps, serious powder days are quite rare anyway, and the start of this season has been abnormal.

As Under A New Name points out above there may not be enough of a difference between 74mm and 84 or so.

In my mind all roads eventually point to 3 skis - 74mm detuned race ski (Rossi Hero or similar), 84-88(?) all mountain ski and then one day a proper off piste ski if I get more into that. Or have I got this all wrong?!

I am not someone who likes compromise with this - I’d rather look at the weather/conditions and take the right ski out rather than hack around on “safe” all mountain skis whatever the conditions!

Skis I’ve enjoyed on the piste before have been: Rossignol pursuit 500 163cm (a bit unstable at speed though - should have gone longer but I wasn’t ski-savvy when I was handed them in the hire shop), Rossignol Hero AT 170cm, 2018/2019 atomic g7 167cm.

Hated atomic X9 168cm (non wide body)- very dull ski. Not sure why it felt so different from my memory of the G7? It has similar dimensions.
snow conditions
I skied the Volkl Deacon 74 at the OkTest2018 and gave them a 10. Loved them but couldn't justify spending that amount of money (still have an ebay alert set up for them but they never seem to come up for sale). From memory they impressed as great piste skis but were much stiffer than the Hero Elite All Turns with a larger turn radius which may not be what you want at your weight. It is difficult to compare the one ski Volkl Deacon 74 with the Rossignol Hero range with its very varied width, turn radius and even design brief. Definitely the rental AT will be a lot softer than the Deacons.
ski holidays
That’s useful thanks - yeah, I noted the radius being bigger. Seems volkl skis have tendency to be a bit more “serious” perhaps. Hoping they have some volkl in Utah this week.
snow conditions
This is a great review of the deacon 74:

http://youtube.com/v/xIpl1341Zt0
ski holidays
Made it to park city and I’ve ended up renting Rossignol experience 88ti 173cm (I’m 176cm / 67kg) as there is fresh snow and I didn’t want to be wading through it on anything too narrow.

I’m impressed with these skis. As someone who hasn’t ridden on anything above 84mm, they feel surprisingly playful and I had them on some untracked powder and enjoyed them. They’ve never felt nervous or unstable.

In line with my thinking to start with buying both an all mountain ski and a focused piste ski, I may try the Volkl Mantra M5 later in the week once (170 or 177) I’ve enjoyed a few more days on the Rossis.

Anyone tried both of these? The 96mm of the M5 sounds like it will be like a plank to me coming from detuned race skis, but I think it’s worth a try.

I was expecting a wide (for me!) ski to be hard work, but the the Rossignol handle short or long turns really well and blast through crud well. Just require a little more commitment than a narrower piste ski.
ski holidays
88mm is not a wide ski. If you've got fresh snow take the opportunity to hire wider. The original Mantra had the Racetiger GS construnction but the latest M5 is not as burly but you should try it. See if you can get on the Blizzard Brahma and Bonafide's as well.

Open your mind!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep - appreciate that but remember my brain is in piste-land still... going to be taken to snowbird this week so maybe will try fat ones there!
snow report
To update this, having been on the 173 Rossi 88ti all week (which I think is great but just a bit too stiff for my ability/body weight), I tested a few more piste skis for my final day at Park City Utah.

Conditions were packed powder with a nice little fresh dusting on top that grew during the day.

I wanted to try the Magnum in 170, but it was out on test, so they gave me the speed instead.

Head Supershape Speed:
An amazing ski. Felt super damp/a little heavy but glued to the piste on its edges. On rails feeling. I felt like I would have been better off on the 163cm, and I felt stuck in the radius of the ski a little. I was only on it for an hour but, so barely settling in, but it was harder to do the more skidded shorter turns if I wanted to. This is obviously also linked to my ability. It wasn’t a particularly playful ski to me - rather serious and confidence inspiring in terms of grip levels. They didn’t have the 163 to try and I’m not sure I’d want to buy a 163...Based on Head’s description, I had expected the supershape Speed would be too stiff for me to flex, but it seemed ok. Maybe also because I’d just come off the Rossi 88ti which is a surprisingly stiff ski.

Head Supershape Rally 170cm:
I found this to be a very fun ski indeed. Much lighter than the speed, and way more playful. Part of that playfulness didn’t inspire such confidence when around 40mph ish though. At 30mph or so it was lovely in medium radius turns. This ski reminded me of the 2017/2018 Rossi all turn carbon 170 I had skied on in Val Thorens. The radius (13.7) felt about right to me. It was a huge amount of fun, but I did wonder if it would make me lazy technique wise, as it was all so easy. Maybe that’s not a bad thing! Despite being the same 170cm length, it skied shorter than the Speed, probably because of the extra bit of rocker and less weight etc.

Fischer RC4:
164cm. This felt somewhere between the 2 skis for me, perhaps because of the length (I think I should have been on the 171). The edge hold felt sharp, but the ski a bit weedy (length too short). By the point in the day I tried it, there was a lot of fresh snow and it was not the right ski, however I was surprised how for a race style piste ski I was able to blast through quite a lot of powder on it fairly easily and confidently. It felt like a good ski but I didn’t walk away wanting to buy it, but must take into account the wrong length/thicker snow conditions.

Now having tried these skis I have a clearer idea of what I’m looking for in a piste ski.

I may just order the 167 Rossi MT Ti as a “safe” bet, though have only ridden the old 2017/2018 carbon @ 170cm as my next ski trip starts on 21st Jan, and I want something for then...

One question I have is whether the Head Magnum somewhere between the Speed and Rally in terms of stiffness and how damp it is? If it’s in the middle then that’s probably where I need to be.

I felt like I wanted something a little more serious than the 170cm Head Rally (but would gladly ski on that all day long - so easy, just not sure I would buy it), and a bit more fun/lively/playful than the Head Speed.

A ski I’d really like to try is the Dynastar Speed Zone 12ti 166 cm, and also the Head Magnum 170cm. The Dynastar seems to get glowing reviews everywhere but buying it blind makes me a bit nervous.... The radius of the Dynastar at 14m looks more on point than the Head Magnum.
ski holidays
anjunabeats wrote:

I wanted to try the Magnum in 170, but it was out on test, so they gave me the speed instead.

Head Supershape Speed:
An amazing ski. Felt super damp/a little heavy but glued to the piste on its edges. On rails feeling. I felt like I would have been better off on the 163cm, and I felt stuck in the radius of the ski a little. I was only on it for an hour but, so barely settling in, but it was harder to do the more skidded shorter turns if I wanted to. This is obviously also linked to my ability. It wasn’t a particularly playful ski to me - rather serious and confidence inspiring in terms of grip levels. They didn’t have the 163 to try and I’m not sure I’d want to buy a 163...Based on Head’s description, I had expected the supershape Speed would be too stiff for me to flex, but it seemed ok. Maybe also because I’d just come off the Rossi 88ti which is a surprisingly stiff ski.

Having had a pair of 170 Titans and now on my second pair of 177 Magnums and having skied my mates Speeds I'd say your analysis is pretty much spot on. I gave the Speeds a blast down the piste towards Morzine from Avoriaz and they were so much fun. My mate now has 177 Titans and comparing those to the Magnums I find them heavier and more work than the Magnums. But where the Speeds got their redundancy notice was in any crud/new snow, heavy snow/spring slush etc. The Speeds are a hell of a lot of fun on groomed piste but not so much fun when the going is tough and in deep powder you just sink. The Magnums and even more so the Titans just make ungroomed conditions so much fun. So my mate is sticking with Titans (he's a bit taller than me) and I'm sticking with Magnums.
snow conditions
It sounds like the Titans are a good ski but in the context of building a collection I’d perhaps be better off with something like the magnum (or Dynastar / rossi MT) and then maybe the Rossi 84ai as a middling ski which should be even better for soft snow than the Titan I would have thought (which seems to be a wide piste ski rather than pushing towards “all mountain”).

The thing that bugs me slightly about the magnum is the radius being a little short. That will surely be fun, but I feel like 14m or so is probably the sweet spot for a piste ski, rather than pushing towards Slalom. Obviously at 177cm the radius isn’t too short, but I’d be looking at the 170 magnum I think.
snow report
I'm around 178/65kg and loved the Magnums in a 170, when I hired them for a week. I could happily own them - but can't compare to anything else you've mentioned.

The only Rossignol I've been on, were some Zenith Z9s, which made life easier.....but that was probably 14 years ago.
latest report
the dynasty 12's will be a bit more torsionally stiffer than the head titans and rally's and give a bit more edge hold whilst being relatively flexible along the length.

The deacons with a plate are a nice ski with a more stiffer "GS" ski feel if that is what you are after. The integrated bindings on these are pretty stiff as well and seem a solid setup unlike the Rossi ones imv..

The Rossis have so many variants it is hard to compare
latest report
The above replies are hugely helpful for me - thank you. It’s such a minefield out there that all this information is very useful.

Which deacon? The 74?

I think full GS will be a bit much for me as I’d have thought I’d need more space for that.

I’m leaning towards the Dynastar Speed Zone 12 ti 166cm, and there seems to be little bad said about them.

Based on @oldfartbag ‘s build and my tests of the other heads it looks like the 170cm magnum will work well for me too.

I definitely want good torsional stiffness for edge hold, but at 67kg and my skiing level (people say I tend to under rate my ability and I’ve skied since I was 5 or so, but at the same time I personally do struggle on super steep stuff and bumps etc where it all falls to pieces), but also some longitudinal flex which it sounds like I should get from the Dynastar still. The Head Rallys felt super flexible/fun, but definitely had a speed limit.

Obviously a different genre of ski, but a week on the Rossi 88ti 173 and my legs were fairly tired - they feel like a big piste ski with some rocker, yet I could tell this would never have happened if I’d have spent the week on the Head Rally for example.

On the softer snow the 88ti were less tiring as you didn’t need to put them on edge much in those kinds of conditions, but the lack of flex started to bother me by the end of the week. Amazing for blasting through crud without fear though! A taller, more experienced friend who was on the next size up 88ti also felt they were too stiff.

I wish they did flex ratings for skis like there are on boots (even if they are a bit inconsistent...).
snow report
anjunabeats wrote:

I’m leaning towards the Dynastar Speed Zone 12 ti 166cm, and there seems to be little bad said about them.

Based on @oldfartbag ‘s build and my tests of the other heads it looks like the 170cm magnum will work well for me too.

The Magnums are a reasonably forgiving ski.

I too would consider the 166 in the Speed Zones, if considering them.

I think Magnum vs Speed Zone, will depend on how forgiving you want the ski to be.....I suspect I would prefer the Dynastar.
snow report
I've got the I. Speeds and love them. They are 177 and I am 186 and 90kg. I really like the radius and love the edge hold. I have tried hero elite long turns off the same sort of length and like them too but the radius is right on the edge of what can usefully be used on a piste with other people. The heads are also similar to the blizzard supersonic or sonic iq (it's been a while since I tried them...), Which were also similarly grippy.

I have a friend who is a more sedate skier and he really likes the magnums which are a slightly milder version of the speeds.

Head make excellent skis, IMO.
snow conditions
Found what seems to be a great deal here:

https://www.speck-sports.com/en/men-s-skis-packs/23729-dynastar-speed-zone-12-ti-spx-12-konect-aw-b80-3607683131624.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkICL0pX75gIVRLTtCh2-ZAOqEAkYASABEgILTfD_BwE

Should I be concerned that the binding says “AW” instead of the “GW” listed on the Dynastar web site?

http://www.dynastar.com/en-us/product/speed-zone-12-ti-konect

I presume it could be a typo, but have emailed them anyway. No response yet.
snow report
anjunabeats wrote:

Should I be concerned that the binding says “AW” instead of the “GW” listed on the Dynastar web site?

I think the AW model is for normal alpine soles. GW must stand for Grip-Walk and that version will accept normal alpine soles and Grip-Walk soles.
ski holidays
Themasterpiece wrote:
anjunabeats wrote:

I think the AW model is for normal alpine soles. GW must stand for Grip-Walk and that version will accept normal alpine soles and Grip-Walk soles.

Great thanks. Have ordered now.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy