Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club of GB makes loss of £841,589 in 2018-19

Poster: A snowHead
"The UK's oldest ski club has made a loss of more than £840,000. Its holidays, leading service and instructor-led guiding all under-performed."

https://www.planetski.eu/news/12255
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A bit late, weve being doing this to death for a week in the ski club v snowHead thread

But then planetski.clickbait often picks up stories from here, unless it's bad news about the 3V!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ha - I looked through the first two front pages and didn't find it. Will look further her next time. Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chocksaway wrote:

But then planetski.clickbait often picks up stories from here, unless it's bad news about the 3V!

Yes but at least it is written in a style that a 2 year old child can understand. Always helpful after a long day in the pub.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not sure that it counts as a surplus if you've taken £1.25m from reserves first

Quote:

"The budget for the current year has been re-worked rigorously in light of last year's results to produce a credible plan that should yield a surplus and at the same time allow for new initiatives, for example in membership, events and holidays and a particular focus on young people."

Though maybe they intend to get all tech unicorn and fuggedabout profit or even breakeven in favour of building "users". Cost of user acquisition - sky high, user stickiness- low, Wonder if they've consider Dragon's Den?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ringingmaster wrote:
"The UK's oldest ski club ...
Is it though? I thought DHO pre-dated it - I might be wrong.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ringingmaster, yes, covered in this thread...
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=149345#3473284
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SCGB 1903. DHO 1925.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lake District Ski Club est. 1936 is doing well on Membership and not losing any money, as far as I am aware snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can’t remember the articles of association but I *think* that the net assets of the Club are distributed amongst the members if the Club goes into liquidation (if there are any assets left). Mind you if the Cub is liquidated with liabilities exceeding assets, then IIRC think each member is liable up to a limit of£1 each.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@achilles, with what's left outstanding of the website bills, the CEO's and Chemmy's salaries and accountants' fees, I think I'll get my £1 ready...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@admin, @ecureuil, @ecureuil,
...and Kiandra Pioneer Ski Club 1861.

Nice to be the oldest but better to be the friendliest. snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@PeakyB, agreed, but a bit difficult to argue that Kiandra is a UK club
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It needs to move from its very southern enclave, to the midlands, at least. Takeover Sheffield ski village?That might help. Sell the white house, and get some efficient office space. N.b. Sheffield is the north.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@twoodwar, tempting as Sheffields most flammable container park is, didn't they sell off the Whitehouse a few years ago and invest the money (probably in new schemes to boost membership)
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:
It needs to move from its very southern enclave, to the midlands, at least. Takeover Sheffield ski village?That might help. Sell the white house, and get some efficient office space. N.b. Sheffield is the north.

they might do better to move to Scotland.
snow report
Here's a radical suggestion - let teh board put together their best and final plan on what they would propose to do (I'd suspect more yada yada about growing membership with young people and trusted brand etc etc and let members vote on that vs a winding up dividend). The TOs could even continue on their own merits , just not subsidised by membership fees. Then without the legacy of deep financial reserves someone young and dynamic might come up with something that is fit for purpose.
snow report
Here's a radical suggestion - let teh board put together their best and final plan on what they would propose to do (I'd suspect more yada yada about growing membership with young people and trusted brand etc etc and let members vote on that vs a winding up dividend). The TOs could even continue on their own merits , just not subsidised by membership fees. Then without the legacy of deep financial reserves someone young and dynamic might come up with something that is fit for purpose.
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
...let members vote on that vs a winding up dividend
Would there be a winding up dividend? Most similar membership organisations that I know include a cluase along the lines of "... if the club is wound up any assets will be passed to an organisation with similar aims". E.g. GB SnowSport
latest report
@ecureuil, Does GB SnowSport have similar aims to SCGB ? I am a member of GBSS and don't see much in common between the two apart from snow.
snow conditions
@ecureuil, @rjs well in the eventuality of the SCGB being wound up I guess any remaining financial assets could be transferred to snowHeads snowHead ....... Wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, I'm quite sure "any remaining financial assets" will be thoroughly stripped, Thomas Cook style or another big 'important' project, before shut down....allegedly Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@davidof, reasonable given the skiing, but weight of skiing population for UK is further south I reckon. Yorkshire population is within a smidgin of Scotland.
ski holidays
Wouldn't it be better located in Val d'Isere Toofy Grin Very Happy
ski holidays
@PeakyB, said..and Kiandra Pioneer Ski Club 1861.

Nice to be the oldest but better to be the friendliest.
[/quote]

@ecureuil,said
Quote:

@PeakyB, agreed, but a bit difficult to argue that Kiandra is a UK club

Agreed, my point was that UK ski clubs were over 40 years behind Australia. So aim to be the friendliest instead snowHead
latest report
Lol.

I am always "shocked to discover" I lost $1 million and never saw it coming wink
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Lol.

I am always "shocked to discover" I lost $1 million and never saw it coming wink

It might still get worse if you read into to news from the AGM. This from the forum

Quote:
Approx 80, mainly over 60s attended. Meeting almost 3 hours. 40 + questions from the floor. Incredulity expressed at 1 million pound loss. Heads should have rolled. Who accountable for loss? Treasurer now CEO - "it was on your watch". Treasurer should be a chartered accountant. Total management failure. Lack of scrutiny. Independent review required and strict monitoring of performance and rebuilding of accounting system. Website to be replaced eventually. New in house accountant unable to give last 6 months results or full year forecast due to rebuilding systems. How new social skiing with the rep will hopefully work. Legal opinions re leading not available to members, maybe a summary will follow. IH outlined various plans for future membership recruitment/partnerships/social events/holidays/social media. About 500 members voted.

Pretty incredible that New in house accountant unable to give last 6 months results or full year forecast due to rebuilding systems. To me it feels like there is more bad news coming down the pipe.

Then another member urges the newly-appointed-to-Council-attack-dog Gerry (yes the Gerry you all know and love)

Quote:

Now you have to make sure:
1. that you carry on as you started in communicating with members
2. that you don't get encysted by the oligarchy hoping they can quarantine your disruptive influence
3. you man-mark the CEO. He was part of the problem and needs to be squeaky-clean in demonstrating that he is also part of the solution

The 'man-marked CEO' won't be enjoying this and anyone with any experience of business will tell you that the performance level is more likely to drop than soar. Man-marked CEOs tend to polish up their CVs and hit the company they leave for the maximum compensation.

It's a death spiral. I'm out.
snow report
Quote:

..newly-appointed-to-Council-attack-dog Gerry...

Laughing Laughing
David Brent to the rescue.

Quote:

...maximum compensation...

It's a death spiral

I'm guessing that's kinda the point wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pruman, that's pasted from the members only bit of the SCGB forum. People posting there can quite reasonably expect that their posts don't get cut and paste somewhere else. Please remove this ASAP.
snow report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
@Pruman, that's pasted from the members only bit of the SCGB forum. People posting there can quite reasonably expect that their posts don't get cut and paste somewhere else. Please remove this ASAP.

+1. Not cool.
ski holidays
@The Lev, Yes but it certainly makes for interesting reading for anyone considering joining the tea club. It would be interesting to hear Gerry's views on this and other matters but he's gone ominously quiet since being elected onto the council. Hopefully he's just getting a feel for things and will be along shortly to enlighten us mere mortals.
ski holidays
[quote="Pruman"]
Whitegold wrote:
Lol.

It might still get worse if you read into to news from the AGM. This from the forum

Quote:
Sad

The 'man-marked CEO' won't be enjoying this and anyone with any experience of business will tell you that the performance level is more likely to drop than soar. Man-marked CEOs tend to polish up their CVs and hit the company they leave for the maximum compensation.

It's a death spiral. I'm out.

Ouch. And that just what was said to their faces effectively. Neylon clearly knew what he was doing by being away on his trotters.

I don't want the SCGB to go down but that's laughable - admitting they don't have any handle on the finances. Would be scandalous in a Bowls club nevermind a 20k ish member organisation. Are freshtracks ATOL bonded? Don't they have rules about adequate record keeping?
snow report
Gosh, it looks like negligently losing a vast sum of money relative to its turnover and assets, and then being unable to present accounts. IIRC the articles of association seek to limit the liability of the directors - but I wonder if they can save key members such as the Chair and Secretary from personal liabilities, given the circumstances.

And if they can't present accounts to the members, I wonder how do they stand with HMRC and Companies House (I admit I am gloriously out of date, does CH still require presentation of accounts?).

Maybe I am going a bit OTT. As a former happy member, I am somewhat shocked.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 16-11-19 21:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Sugarmoma, there's no atattribution to those comments so no-one can claim to have been unfairly quoted.

Everyone knows anything published on the net to a public (albeit memberabip/firewalled) place is likely to get out.
snow report
Quote:

negligently losing a vast sum of money

Careful.
I believe there was a large IT project.
ski holidays
Csb123 wrote:
Sugarmoma, there's no atattribution to those comments so no-one can claim to have been unfairly quoted.

Everyone knows anything published on the net to a public (albeit memberabip/firewalled) place is likely to get out.

Only if people have no decency or etiquette. If that's the general view, there's no point in having members-only sections.
ski holidays
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Csb123 wrote:

Only if people have no decency or etiquette. If that's the general view, there's no point in having members-only sections.

No point indeed when there is no clear loyalty to a common cause amongst the users of that forum. I expect the leakee could expect to be banished from that club if there's a 'no sharing' rule.
snow report
AL9000 wrote:
Quote:

negligently losing a vast sum of money

Careful.
I believe there was a large IT project.

It's not an accusation - merely an observation of what it looked like on the basis of Prumans quotes. Following up on your remarks, though, are you suggesting that the Club officers had no responsibility to ensure that a large project was affordable, was cost effective, had a set budget, and an expenditure profile with respect to time and milestones that was being met?
snow conditions
@achilles, Not at all. I've no reason to believe all those things you suggest were not in place before the project initiation. I'm sure the democratically elected officers are clever, educated people and capable of running such projects. But mistakes happen, promises sometimes adjusted.

Once again, there's a Brexit gag in here somewhere, and once again I'm not going to stoop so low as to find it Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@AL9000, good for you. Laughing

And you make a reasonable point about the SCGB issue. I have been in a business when an attempt to introduce IT that was radical for the trade involved, it turned out to be very difficult to bring to fruition. Was the SCGB attempting something novel IT-wise?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy