Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Those that are no longer young....an inspiration

Poster: A snowHead
There have been quite a few threads about older skiers and those returning to the sport after a very long break.

Here’s an inspiration....

Picture the scene:

I get off the lift at Plaine Morte at 3000m and it’s blowing hard. Minus minus cold and loads of windchill. We are all clicking in quickly and getting off as fast as we can. I’m skiing inbounds by myself this morning and since we’re in low viz I decide to hook up behind some skiers. I scan the people around and yep, there are a pair who look about right - latest Picture gear, new model mid-fats, POC helmets, Oakleys - all the signals of people who know what they are doing. Can’t really tell their gender since goggles and buffs went on the moment they left the lift. Quite short in stature, probably local youths. They set off fast, so I keep them in visual range (which is not great today) and match their turns. Blimey, they are good. Tram tracks all the way down, fluid carving and fast as hell. It’s a pleasure to hang on to them, me not being intrusive, but hanging on. They pass the normal stopping points at the pinch areas, just hammer down and either bang bang bang short turns, or long carves. It’s just great. Finally, they ease up as we approach the crossing point to Toula, and pull to the side. They’ve pushed me, so I stop just above them. Now we are out of the wind and temps are bearable, they lower buffs and push up goggles to have a chat. I am more than a bit surprised when it’s clear that they can’t be a day under 70. Brilliant. I laugh inwardly. Maybe I could be that good at that age. Maybe.....
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah! . now I know my problem. Right age but wrong goggles.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pam w, yup. I knew there must be something. Looks like I need to change my helmet, too.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can't be a day under 70, and probably started when they were 7... That's where I went wrong Sad Trying to get that good when you only start rather later in life, however..?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Grizzler, My guess is that is exactly right. I started at 28, then stopped for a while, then got going again in my 40s. I am now well over that, and have been determined to improve technique while I still can - and fortunately its working. Requires focus and dedication, though. But the more technique, the better I am set up for later life. First cliff huck this Christmas. Went OK. And after a really intensive coaching day last Easter, my tracks this year were tramlines, not skids. Result.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Grizzler wrote:
Can't be a day under 70, and probably started when they were 7... That's where I went wrong Sad Trying to get that good when you only start rather later in life, however..?

My guess as well, I left it about 30 years too late to start!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kooky was skiing with a gang of local good powder skiers/instructors off piste at Zauch when a tiny old lady asked if she could join them for a run as she was just demoing a pair of 120mm Bent Chetlers that dwarfed her. They all looked at each other, agreed (with the thought that the approx 75 year old might hold them back), then as they set off into the forest the mystery lady vanished into the trees at a rate of knots leaving them well behind Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
valais2 wrote:
they can’t be a day under 70. Brilliant. I laugh inwardly. Maybe I could be that good at that age. Maybe.....

Not quite there yet but working on it, seven years to go.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This guy is inspiring (and high class video to boot)...

http://youtube.com/v/9lpJSB9pd-s
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@valais2, our approach

1 you are born
2 you learn to walk
3 you learn to ski
4 you learn to ski some more
5 you die

c'est la vie
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lovely story, however, I must pick you up on,

“ who look about right - latest Picture gear, new model mid-fats, POC helmets, Oakleys - all the signals of people who know what they are doing.”

No.

All the signals of ... “all the gear ... no idea”. (Picture? Really?)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, that’s my thought too.

Had they been rocking some narrow slalom skis, that might make more sense.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, ....c'mon UANN - you're on fats, surely.

....'round yer that gear is not 'no idea', its just gear....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@valais2, mid fats no issue. You can’t tell the skier from the brands though. From the state of the kit? Maybe. From how they walk in boots for sure. Ski carriage/handling also useful clues. But brands? Meh.

Still a great story and I very much hope I startle some nippers that way in my dotage wink
snow report
@under a new name, ...can see entirely where you are coming from. Mountain-biking is full of people 'with all the gear and no idea' and it can be really tedious, as you imply. I think there's a vibe though from skiers who are suffering the same thing ... top gear and then some item(s) which stands out as ill-matched....and definitely your comment re stance in boots and handling gear....
snow report
@valais2, I absolutely love the story. But I can definitely say it wasn't my husband and I, we're in Tignes at the moment Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
A few years ago we treated ourselves to a day's instruction in Davos, and our instructor invited us to the weekly ski school show that evening. She and two fellow instructors formed a team in one of the "competitions", combined age over 200.

She said that when she and her husband skied together, they would often finish by skiing off the top of Parsenn just twenty minutes before the train they intended to catch back from Kublis, 12 km distant (and about 2000m vertical).
snow report
We had the Winter World Masters Games in Innsbruck the week before last - 3000 over 30 y/o athletes competing in 12 disciplines. Oldest ski racer was 87, and (IIRC) oldest figure skater was 83. Really really cool to see!

http://youtube.com/v/X5fGwAwUW_k
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy