Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New ski boots needed, where to go?

Poster: A snowHead
Our much loved Lange Mid System 5.5 boots have finally come to the end of the road after close on 30 years. For various reasons we hadn't skied for nearly five years and we thought they would be okay, we went to Saalbach over Christmas and my wife's boots heel blocks broke up on the first day so she couldn't clip in to her bindings properly. All of the shops said no parts were available so she had to buy new boots in the resort, I'll tell you about them later. I just managed to get through the week with my boots but they are falling apart, the liners are collapsing and the powerstraps are broken so it's definitely time to retire them.

We're getting on a bit now, I'm 70 in March and we don't ski like we used to, we're more likely to be found on choosy cruisy blues and reds these days than blacks and steep and deep but I see no reason not to have really good boots, our Lange's were pretty top end when we got them. I see various threads on here saying that the people to go to are Solutions 4 Feet in Bicester or Profeet in Fulham, I've looked at both of them on the internet and they both seem to know exactly what they are doing and have a good range of products so it's hard to choose between them.

I don't think my feet will be too difficult to fit apart from my high instep, I would definitely like custom moulded insoles and would have no problem with paying for custom liners if necessary and I'm sure either company would be fine, my only problem is that we live on the South Coast near Brighton so it's not impossible but a bit of a mission to get to Fulham or Bicester, can anyone recommend any other companies nearer to me who could do the job or alternatively give me the plus and minus points of Profeet and Solutions 4 Feet to help me choose between them.

We're going skiing again in mid March and taking our family for my big birthday so I have a bit of time to get boots sorted out but I would like to be able to test them on snow at Hemel before we go in case adjustments are needed.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@teerev, I'm not going into the pros and cons as such, just let's say I am a big fan of Profeet. 2 pairs of boots, perfect fit first time both times. When I needed a tweak after an injury over a year later they did it free of charge. Everyone I know who has gone to pro feet is a fan, not so with Solutions 4 Feet. You will need to make an appointment asap for either
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@teerev, where are you going skiing in March? Might be an option to get boots out in resort?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ski bartlett in Uxbridge is also a "proper" boot fitters, not lot nearer Sussex but more accessible as just off the M25. Fitted mine and no problems with a follow up tweak to sort out some minor discomfort on one boot.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For south east you can go to Captains Cabin in Sevenoaks, myself and a few friends have been there and highly recommend. I'm sure there's a few other people on here that would recommend them too
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you are going up to Hemel to try out said new boots would a morning session in Bicester to get the boots following by a test in Hemel not work for you?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@teerev, no additional recommendations, but I woulld expect you'll find a big difference in comfort and skiing control over the (not terribly high end in their day) Langes!

Not surprising at all that there was an unexpected disassembly! It has anyway done you a favour. Also absolutely not surprising that the shops couldn't help! (Couldn't your wife not have rented? not that that matters now).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@teerev, we have both been to Solutions4Feet at Bicester and are very happy with the boots supplied by CEM. We live near Chichester and thought the trip worthwhile. When I bought my Salomons, a few years ago now, my OH was told by Colin that he didn’t need to replace his existing boots at the time, I think he had new footbeds. Then eventually he replaced them, with Langes, and was able to re-use the footbeds. You will need to make an appointment, and allow quite a bit of time.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@teerev, we aren't too far from you. We live in East Sussex.

You have a few options open to you.

Snow and Rock: If my memory serves me correctly, they do boot fitting in the Brighton store. I got my boots fitted by S&R when I was a bit naive about the experience, what was required etc (mine were done at Hemel). I lucked out and got a very experienced fitter who did an amazing job and boots are still like slippers 5 years later. However, this would be my "least" favourable option and S&R are very hit and miss. But is the most convenient for you.

Snowlab: A great little shop that doesn't get enough notice. They are located at Knockhatch Dry Ski Slope, so not a massive distance for you. They do boot fitting and the guys are very knowledgeable there. I have often chatted to them for ages about things I'm not even buying! The best bit, you can go and give them an immediate test on the dry slope.

Captains Cabin: Already mentioned above. They are located in Sevenoaks so the furthest away, but in my opinion the best option. They are our go to shop. My OH, best friend and his OH have all had their boots fitted there in the last 2 years. Superb service, very friendly and Pasque is a fountain of knowledge.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@teerev, (@Fridge03, ) - Snow and Rock have (at last count, by my well qualified source) 3 boot fitters in the UK who actually have qualifications, experience and can do the job. That is not an option.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks very much to everyone for all the thoughts and suggestions. Fridge03, I'm afraid Snow and Rock were never going to be an option but Snolab at Knockhatch is a really good shout, our grandaughters are going there for lessons soon and they're very close to us so I'm going there tomorrow to check them out, I'd not heard of Captains Cabin but they look like they know what they're doing, if I'm not happy with Snolab they will be the next port of call.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Duplicate.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 17-01-20 20:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I got a pair of boots from snowlab and I was very happy with the service. Had to have a couple of adjustments after my first week but they are now spot on. I think I had to make an appointment for the fitting best to ask when you pop in if it's necessary to.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We went over to Snowlab this morning and were quite impressed, they are very well set up with all of the necessary tools and equipment to carry out a total custom boot fitting service. I had a long chat with Tom who has been fitting boots for twelve years and knew exactly what he was talking about, he was originally trained by Colin of Solutions 4 Feet and has attended a lot of his courses since then.

I watched and listened to him carrying out a boot fitting with a lady today and he has definitely gained my confidence, I'm going back there on Tuesday or Wednesday for a full fitting and will report back here on my experience.

We were also impressed with the whole set up, the hill is a good size with two drag lifts and is in a soft matting material so no chance of Dendix thumbs, (I have one of those from a trip to Chatham many years ago and wouldn't want another). There's also a cafe which serves decent coffee and the shop has a wide range of stock, we both bought helmets today and I'm sure my wife will find something else to buy while I'm having my fitting.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@teerev, I would rather risk the Dendex thumb, it's far better to ski on than the other stuff!
ski holidays
I was thinking more of my 8 and 4 year old grandaughters, they're having a few lessons there before we go and I'd hate for them to be deformed for the rest of their lives like me!!
latest report
teerev wrote:
We went over to Snowlab this morning and were quite impressed, they are very well set up with all of the necessary tools and equipment to carry out a total custom boot fitting service. I had a long chat with Tom who has been fitting boots for twelve years and knew exactly what he was talking about, he was originally trained by Colin of Solutions 4 Feet and has attended a lot of his courses since then.

I watched and listened to him carrying out a boot fitting with a lady today and he has definitely gained my confidence, I'm going back there on Tuesday or Wednesday for a full fitting and will report back here on my experience.

We were also impressed with the whole set up, the hill is a good size with two drag lifts and is in a soft matting material so no chance of Dendix thumbs, (I have one of those from a trip to Chatham many years ago and wouldn't want another). There's also a cafe which serves decent coffee and the shop has a wide range of stock, we both bought helmets today and I'm sure my wife will find something else to buy while I'm having my fitting.

Good stuff. It's a very friendly place. We have bought several things from there in the past including goggles, salopettes, both our helmets etc. Always after a good chat as well.
latest report
Had my boot fitting at Snowlab a couple of days ago, went through a very thorough measuring and checking process and tried on half a dozen different pairs of boots, I ended up with a nice pair of Rossignols which were the only ones that didn't give my high insteps any trouble, they are waiting for my size of custom footbed to come in so I'll go back next week to get them done and have the boots heat moulded, then I can try them on the hill and adjust further if necessary.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy