Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Considering Cervinia for mid-march, but worried about wind

Poster: A snowHead
I was almost certain to go to Cervinia for skiing in mid-March, but I recently found out about a potential wind problem, which can cause no skiing at all! I am not sure if anyone know how often that happens? should I consider an alternative, such as Madonna di Campiglio?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bober02, you’ve set yourself up for a few derogatory comments there! wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Deflatine should help
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cervinia has been a ski resort for over 80 years.

If wind were a serious problem, the resort would have gone out of business by now (no skiers).

The station is high (>2000m), so wind will be above-average.

But little different to other high resorts.

If upper lifts close, lower lifts usually remain open.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stay off the onions.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Whitegold, thank you for the meaningful answer!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bober02, you asked for the sprout jokes I'm afraid! Seriously, the ridge is at 3,000 Metres or thereabouts, it can therefore get seriously windy. This height however gives it all its advantages of very snow sure, especially as it is south facing, and also therefore sunny. It also has at least two of the best mountain restaurants in the Alps, Chalet Etoile, and Bontadini.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@twoodwar, why are those the best? best pizza/pasta?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been to Cervinia twice, both times at Easter (early April). Had a brilliant time both holidays, no wind issues and would definitely go again. Lovely resort and skiing over to Zermatt is great too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's high up...surprisingly it can be snowy but also very windy. Luck of the draw I'm afraid.
I've enjoyed dead calm days at that height plus howling gales, when walking was a challenge. As an aside, I loved snow shoeing walks on these days.
All I can say is hold off committing to spend as long as possible, so if it is crap weather you have a chance of plan B.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Plus when it's very windy and graupel pelting your face, you can always stay indoors
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fortunately the chairs have covers so going up is not too bad. Link to Zermatt shuts if it's too windy - don't get caught on the wrong side! Enjoy.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
been going there every spring since '07. you'll enjoy it and mid-march the runs to the resort shouldn't be deteriorating as much as they do in april so you'll have a fantastic final run. cervinia is also easy to get to!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Probably had seven or eight weeks at Cervinia, dating back to the early 1980s. In all those times, only had one or two days when it was too windy and stormy to ski. Link to Zermatt closed now and then but otherwise all good. It's high, it's above the treeline (mainly) and the snow is good!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@bober02, because they are not pizza/ pasta! Chalet Etoile, fish soup is amazing.
snow report
Been twice, enjoyed it both times. Lost one day to wind so in this unscientific survey 8.33% chance of losing a day.
snow conditions
As with all ski resorts the weather is the luck of the draw. We lost 3 out of 6 days riding due to high winds in Cervinia. Since this happened I have checked and this does seem to happen in Cervinia more than other resorts...or maybe I am just biased to see it this way? either way, I would not go back.
ski holidays
Wind problem?? Avoid anything on the menu that contains Fagioli (beans) and you should be OK! wink
latest report
You can always get the bus down to valtournenche, they run regularly and are cheap, and there's more chance of the runs their being open. It's only about a 15 - 20 minute trip
snow conditions
bober02 wrote:
@Whitegold, thank you for the meaningful answer!

If you click on this link, you can compare sidebyside the number of windy days per season at Cervinia vs. all other resorts.

For example, Zermatt is (much) windier at top altitude than Cervinia in winter.

https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Cervinia/history
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy