Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski camber wore - Head Supershape i Magnum

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I bought a pair of Head Supershape i Magnum model 2018-2018, second hand.

What I observed(compared to my very old ski) ia that the camber is almost gone. If I put together both skis, there is much less space between the skis(about 6mm) and also they don’t require almost any force to put them together campared to the old one where you have to do some force to press in order to put them together.

Is this normal for this type of ski? Does anyone have the same model?

Thanks
Adrian
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have the same model but a few years older and they display the same in terms of camber you see.

But they ski well (I think as an unsophisticated recreational skier), dont yours?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I didn’t ski them yet, I just bought them today and I immediatley observed this very “soft” camber compared to old ski
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Adrianc, what and how old is your old ski?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Seems it’s not that old as i thought:
atomic nomad blackeye 2013-2014
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Are you trying to compare the camber against a ski from a different brand and model? the nomad Blackeye is a completely different ski so the camber will be different.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@wardy89, that’s why I’m asking you guys, I don’t know how it should be
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Adrianc, I don't think you can really judge anything by finger testing. Anyway, in my book, a ski is worn out when there are no edges left to sharpen. Or no base left to fill.

Just go enjoy them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Adrianc, Its hard to say because it varies from ski to ski but it doesn't sound to dissimilar to my super shapes magnums.

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’ve just measured the distance between them, it’s 7mm. Also, i noticed a line alongside of each ski alongside the bindings which looks similar to a crack, probably only paint crack
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Adrianc, can't really comment until you post some pictures of it.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Trying but no succes from mobile until now
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[img][/img]
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Only managed like this
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
https://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p459/carciumaru_adrian/Mobile%20Uploads/D3ECA931-4E23-4D99-B2E8-DA3868F64AFB_zpsvbuh7zyd.jpeg
snow report
https://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p459/carciumaru_adrian/Mobile%20Uploads/0C00E08E-2DD0-4DDD-912D-89C1CA25673A_zpssjwvmt89.jpeg
ski holidays
My son has a pair of Atomic Redsters which have far more camber than my Magnums. So apples and oranges I suppose. I’ll drag out my ancient Stocklis and check those. But like I say they still seem to go downhill.
ski holidays
So it seems it’s different from one producer to another.
I was just bit scared when I read the below info:

How can you tell if skis are worn out?

“It takes years to wear out a ski. Most everybody updates their skis before they wear out, but the key to telling if a ski is worn out is camber collapse. Put a pair of skis together with the bases tip to tip, tail to tail, and the brake out of the way. Camber is the gap between the skis under the bindings”
snow report
@Adrianc, How can you tell if skis are worn out?

There are many factors that play into ski wearing out, remaining edge, base condition, flex, conditions they have been skied in, other damage to name a phew. Some might say that after 100 days skis will start to loose their performance, others that if the ski has edges it has life left. The reality for most skiers that do a couple of weeks a year is they will most likely replace skis long before they are truly worn out.

I have put 400+ days on a set of skis and while they definitely got softer and didn't preform as they did when they were new they were still plenty skiable. Other people say that if it has edge left the ski has life in it but it really depends when the ski has been skied. My skis did their time in western Canada and it was rare to have hardpac, so we didn't sharpen out edges as much as you would if you skied on hard icy snow, our skis would wear out way before you ran out of edge.

The point i am making is there is no 1 way to tell, it depends.
ski holidays
Quote:

The point i am making is there is no 1 way to tell, it depends.

Yes I agree with this.
Camber is partly a design decision and its not always true - even for piste skis - that higher performing skis have lots of camber.
So if a ski didn't start with a lot of camber then there isn't much information in the fact that it doesn't have much now.
I have had skis goes flappy,floppy and even bent before the edges were worn out but this doesn't tend to happen with woodcore skis (for example) which seem to go on and on.
snow conditions
So ..at the end it seems it was just a False alert.

I’ve just went today to a local store and compared with a brand new “Magnum” 2020 version, and also with a “i speed” version. So surprise..they are all the same in terms of distance between the ski and force applied to get them together. Even the parallel “lines”under the bindings of each ski which looked like cracks or paint crack...it’s actually a metal insertion under each binding, i could see them clear on the new skis also. They gap is however shorter compared to other skis from other producer I looked at.
So it seems there are different types of camber used, requiring different force to put them together, depending on the producer and ski type.

I was scared by reading a post where someone said that the ski gap should be minimum 1inch(2,5cm) otherwise skis are wore and do not behave correctly.

Thank you guys for your thoughts i to this!
snow conditions
@Adrianc, Camber is tailored to the individual skis depending on the materials used and the performance that the designers are after.

The whole measuring the gap is generally rubbish, I guess if you knew the original camber of the you might be able to measure it to compare, but even then i am not sure how useful that measurement would be. remember the length of the ski will also have an effect on the size of the cap. Also some skis are built with no camber (full rocker) or even reverse camber depending on what the ski is being used for.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy