Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Valmorel or Chinaillon - ski conditions in March

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, deciding between Chinaillon and Valmorel for mid March 2020. I know it’s guesswork, but, which resort is likely to have the best snow on nursery slopes and higher up?

We’d like to stay closer to Geneva if possible but want to ensure a good weeks skiing. We’re restricted by Creche facilities as currently booked into Samoens but they won’t have a crèche this year.

Flaine is also an option but slightly less easy to navigate with three children.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd guess Valmorel a slightly better bet as it's mainly north facing, should be fine with either mid March tho I'd think.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@alicc, Why is Flaine less easy to navigate? Always looks pretty tiny and straightforward to me...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As long as you are not staying in Le Hameau de Flaine then resort navigation is pretty easy. Hameau is a bit outside the original resort and I've not stayed there so may be a bus ride to and from the piste/lift.
There is more than 1 way down from Foret to Forum and the kids will love the funicular style lifts. The main part of the resort is small so should be easy with children.

Most of Valmorel accommodation is around the "village" but, from memory, some was below the ski school meeting point. Try not to stay outside the main resort as the buses used to be a bit infrequent outside peak times. Skiing is very good for beginners and intermediates.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@alicc, Le Chinaillon has mainly north facing slopes and tends to hold it's snow very well. Usual caveats apply but we have skied the last 10 years in March in Le Grand Bornand with no problems due to lack of snow. It's also possible to 'follow the sun' and makes for very pleasant spring skiing especially with little ones who may otherwise feel the cold a bit.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
https://www.legrandbornand.com/visite-virtuelle-domaine-skiable

Here's a link that shows the ski area very nicely. Also the proximity of the MGM residence to the slopes and how you can ski in the sun until last lifts should you wish
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
loatie wrote:
https://www.legrandbornand.com/visite-virtuelle-domaine-skiable

Here's a link that shows the ski area very nicely. Also the proximity of the MGM residence to the slopes and how you can ski in the sun until last lifts should you wish

That's an awesome feature, I've just had the one ski day in LGB it is a lovely area and village tho it seems.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@loatie, we booked Valmorel but I'm now thinking Chinaillon is so much closer and not necessarily any different? Do you know if Chinaillon has a kids snow fun park for beginners? I can't find any pictures of one. This would be a big draw for my children!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@alicc, not quite sure what you mean but there is a ‘green’ jump in the main snowpark and a section at the bottom of this which is dedicated to kids and beginners. There are a couple of border cross tracks. However you’d need to be competent enough on skis to be able to actually get to the area where the park is.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@alicc, above Chinaillon there is a beginners boarder cross, accessible via a button lift (la Mulaterie). (Master that one and there is an advanced boarder cross near to the snow park where all the jumps are (Maroly Valley area)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been to Valmorel last week of March.
Apart from one day of rain in village, which was snow higher up and a couple of porridge afternoons on the home runs due to the warmth, it was absolutely fine and a good week was had
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy