Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hire car in Munich or Salzburg?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey Forum goers

We are planning a trip to Kitzbuhel and have the option of flying to Munich or Salzburg. Obviously Salzburg is closer but the hire car prices are much more than in Munich, we're talking 430ish vs 250ish. We're happy to do the extra hour or so driving to save the dosh but are worried about cross border fees and vignettes etc. So can anyone tell me what extras we will be charged for Munich compared to Salzburg and whether the vignettes are covered in the latter?

Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@klang180, vignettes are covered in salzburg prices. But only about €10 to buy. Cross border charge about €30 usually from Munich.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you fly to Munich you buy the vignette at a motorway service station before you cross into Austria. €10 for 10 days. it is an easy drive from the airport in Munich on the motorway South via round Salzberg to Kitzbuhel. There is about 1.5 hours each way extra so you can decide if the € 180.00 is worth the extra time. You are not on autobahns in Austria and the speed limits are enforced ( as I found out to my cost)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@klang180, vignettes are covered in salzburg prices. But only about €10 to buy. Cross border charge about €30 usually from Munich.

Thanks that is helpful.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GarryC wrote:
If you fly to Munich you buy the vignette at a motorway service station before you cross into Austria. €10 for 10 days. it is an easy drive from the airport in Munich on the motorway South via round Salzberg to Kitzbuhel. There is about 1.5 hours each way extra so you can decide if the € 180.00 is worth the extra time. You are not on autobahns in Austria and the speed limits are enforced ( as I found out to my cost)

Cool, that is useful, i wonder if it is worth the extra but then only we can decide. It is pounds not euros too so slightly more (although probably not for long!). That is great info.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@klang180, which companies? Watch out for Sixt who have started not including CDW so it looks cheap but not by the time you include it
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rental cars from Salzburg will automatically have winter tyres. Cars from Munich don’t always. Also, Salzburg is a much easier and quicker airport to transfer through and the nearest service station for filling up before drop off is much closer than at Munich.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Austrian Seagull, to be fair the Munich petrol station is pretty close...maybe 1km on the outskirts of the airport.

Personally I would suck it up and use Salzburg. ... but that said that is very expensive. Are you looking direct or with e.g. autoeurope? Is it half term?

What's the difference in flight costs and timing convenience
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Austrian Seagull, to be fair the Munich petrol station is pretty close...maybe 1km on the outskirts of the airport.

Personally I would suck it up and use Salzburg. ... but that said that is very expensive. Are you looking direct or with e.g. autoeurope? Is it half term?

What's the difference in flight costs and timing convenience

Well it's for 2 weeks so that might be why it is so expensive, sorry should have mentioned that!

I am using all the comparison sites but can't get below £430 for a compact or larger which is what we would need.

I'm thinking you might be right. It doesn't seem to be worth the extra hassle in order to save what is a small(ish) amount between the 3 of us.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Austrian Seagull wrote:
Rental cars from Salzburg will automatically have winter tyres. Cars from Munich don’t always. Also, Salzburg is a much easier and quicker airport to transfer through and the nearest service station for filling up before drop off is much closer than at Munich.

Ah see that is what i was afraid of and is a very good point. We want to use the car in resort so winter tyres would be very handy indeed and also a legal requirement in some places no doubt!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
klang180 wrote:
Austrian Seagull wrote:

Ah see that is what i was afraid of and is a very good point. We want to use the car in resort so winter tyres would be very handy indeed and also a legal requirement in some places no doubt!

In Austria, between 1 November and 15 April, passenger cars may be operated in winter conditions such as snow-covered tracks, snowy slush or ice only if winter tyres have been installed on all wheels.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have you checked how much it is to hire the car at the same time as you book your flights, ie via the airline ? I find this is often the cheapest way. Also, if you’re a BA executive club member, 2nd driver is free....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays from Munich south to Kitz can be carnage.

Everyone heads for the slopes.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Re winter tyres. Kitzbuhel is 900m. It's not as if you will be struggling up a mountain pass. The roads would rarely need winter tyres.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Re winter tyres. Kitzbuhel is 900m. It's not as if you will be struggling up a mountain pass. The roads would rarely need winter tyres.
snow conditions
Winter tyres are a legal requirement in Austria in the winter months unlike France. All rentals will come with them from Munich or Salzburg. I have noticed the huge increase in price for rentals from Salzburg this winter. I have been renting for the same week for several years now and the cost seems to have increased by around 50% this year. Don't know why? Puzzled
snow conditions
@Klamm Franzer, for my recent hire out of SZG, I was treated to a brand new Mercedes CLA estate.....suspect they have renewed the fleets this season, and are making us pay for them
snow report
GarryC wrote:
You are not on autobahns in Austria and the speed limits are enforced ( as I found out to my cost)

They're enforced on the Autobahns round Munich (As I found to my cost!)
snow report
You are comparing the car hire costs of Munich v Salzburg but surely the flight cost difference is far greater, no?

I fly to Munich to travel to Maria Alm every year and always fly to Munich as the flight is prohibitively expensive, even out of HT time like this year, to fly to Salzburg. I think it was £400-500 vs £125 when I booked. No contest really
snow report
GarryC wrote:
Don't kid yourself. I Have got stuck behind idiots with summer tyres on both the routes that lead to Kitzbühel (past Scheffau/St.Johann) and to Kirchberg (from Wörgl Ost).
snow conditions
Sounds strange that you can get summer tires in Munich

https://www.german-way.com/travel-and-tourism/driving-in-europe/driving/snow-tires-winter-driving/
latest report
All Munich car hires will have winter tires, its the local law there too.

As far as I recall you can pick a route to Kitz that doesn't require Autobahn routes on the Austrian side of the border, so you can save on the vignette. If you decide you do want to run on autobahn's, you can purchase the vignettes in service stations German side of the border, you'll start seeing signage for them as you get close to the border.

If you do choose Munich have a look at the Buchbinder options on autoeurope - they have a 2nd driver at no extra cost.

The couple of times I went via Salzburg rather that Munich the car hire was so prohibitive I used coach transfers instead. If you don't plan to use the car once in Kitz then this may be another option to cost.
snow conditions
@Woosh, You cant it is (effectively) a legal requirement in Germany. Any cars hired at Munich airport during the winter half of the year will have winter tyres.

Personally I would pay the €10 vignette as there are some local issues with folk driving on the side roads to avoid the autobahns. You could come off at Kufstein Süd as you dont need a vignette for the first section past Kufstein but I would say better not to, go to Wörgl Ost.

Note and keep to the speed limits in Austria including on the autobahns (it is only 100km/h on the Inntal autobahn) and in any built up areas (50 km/h often not explicitly signed) unless you want grief and a fine.

As far as car hire goes, long and dull discussions if you search for them. Some of the cheaper companies seem to want to charge tourists extra money for travelling to Austria the bigger companies generally dont. Sixt's basic offer now does not include any CDW makes sure you take the cheapest one - €950 excess (assuming you have excess insurance) but they do not charge extra for going to Austria (as far as I know Hertz and Europcar dont either).

Do note that Saturdays southbound and Sunday evenings northbound from now until early March means heavy (often very heavy) traffic on the A99, A8 and A93. Make sure you leave plenty of time to get to the airport.
ski holidays
Isnt the autobahn in Austria free again until Kufstein South, same as it was until about 2015? If so no Vignette required
ski holidays
@jafa, that's right. Which leads to jams caused by the hordes trying to exit the Autobahn at Kufstein Süd.
snow conditions
Or hordes coming off at the service stations to buy vignettes. When I drive out in the summer, I usually come off at Keifersfelden, unless I feel as though Ill be using the autobahn while im there (usually not) To get to Kitz using a vignette isn't worth it, as the time coming off and driving the short extra distance to Worgl isn't really sufficient in a one off trip. As Samerberg Sue once said , take the back road from Kufstein on the west of the Inn and come through Langkampfen and Kirchbichl
latest report
@jafa, I think the police are stopping people using the back roads unless they can prove they are staying somewhere on that route. The reason the Kufstein Süd thing was reinstated was because the locals on both sides of the border were completely fed up with the hordes passing through their villages every weekend. The situation was actually quite bad for them.
snow report
@Steilhang, That certainly was the case in the summer. Haven't heard about it for winter
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks to everyone. I certainly got much more helpful advice than i ever imagined with my simple and somewhat ill-defined question, so thanks.

To fill in some of the gaps, the flights are the same price as we are using reward miles kindly given to us. As a result we can actually use Salzburg or Munich and it would be the same cost, the times are also fairly similar as well. I am however concerned about all the traffic you mention, particularly as we are looking at a Saturday. We could potentially take a different day but it just feels right o start Saturday and often allows more accommodation options, in our experience anyway.

As for winter tyres, it does seem to be the case that if you book a Munich based rental they do come with a "winter package" which would imply that they are ready to go for the mountains and thus takes this element out of the equation.

So bottom line is whether the extra distance and hassle of Munich vs Salzburg is worth the extra money. I suppose the only other consideration is that the person providing the miles can also get us Lounge access and whether Munich is massively superior but to be honest we're not all that bothered and would rather proceed through the airport quicker, which i assume would be the case at Salzburg rather than Munich right?

Thanks again to everyone, brilliant help.
ski holidays
Another thought is that the cheaper companies at Salzburg are ones such as Interrent whereas in Munich the more established brands are hardly anymore. So it could be more of a risk to take a cheaper company and end up paying more in the longer run, although we would definitely be getting our own excess insurance don't worry.
snow report
Oh and in the interest of complete information it should be stated we're probably staying in Mittersill rather than Kitz itself as the latter is just too pricey and we prefer the look of Thurn Pass upload anyway.(chair rather than Gondy for a person who would rather avoid where possible, aside from the S3 that is).
snow conditions
Oh and i just realised we can get flights to Innsbruck too which seems to be in the middle hire car wise between Munich and Salzburg but does it really offer any advantages as far as any of you are concerned?
latest report
@klang180, the so called lounge at Salzburg is a side room with a few bits. The airport is tiny
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
@klang180, the so called lounge at Salzburg is a side room with a few bits. The airport is tiny

Haha that figures! Thanks for the head's up.
ski holidays
Hello everyone

I know you are probably all bored of this by now but just a little extra info on the flight times in case that makes a difference??

Salzburg would be arriving 16:30 and departing on return at 13:25 or 15:30
Munich would be arriving 13:45, 15.05 or 16.55 and return 10:40, 14:40 or 17:45

Given these arrival times on our outbound would you go for Munich given it is a fair bit cheaper, winter tyres are included and we can arrive at the times above?

Realise it looks like I am trying to get you to make my decisions for me but you are very knowledgeable so worth knowing.

Thanks
ski holidays
klang180 wrote:
Hello everyone

I know you are probably all bored of this by now but just a little extra info on the flight times in case that makes a difference??

Given these arrival times on our outbound would you go for Munich given it is a fair bit cheaper, winter tyres are included and we can arrive at the times above?

Realise it looks like I am trying to get you to make my decisions for me but you are very knowledgeable so worth knowing.

Thanks

I honestly believe that Salzburg is your safer bet in terms of risk of congestion, accidents, etc. and convenience, i.e. journey time, airport transit, obtaining vignettes, etc. However, there seems to be a price associated with this, which only you can evaluate. Some people would be more than happy to pay the extra, others might want to save this amount.
ski holidays
How confident a driver are you and how good a google maps reader is the non-driver. I travel to Maria Alm by going cross country which avoids any motorway blues but does take 2.5-3 hours. I spent 7 hours getting there via motorway one year, just through sheer weight of traffic. Not that Maria Alm is anywhere close to Kitz but I'm sure someone here could give you a non motorway route.

Either arrival time will make it difficult to organise ski hire and lift passes on the day as I think most shops close at 6:30 although clearly not a deal breaker as you have 2 weeks
Return from Munich, I would go 14:40 as you could have a nice lunch prior to flying. I find the airport very quiet on returns, even during HT. Arrival is another matter altogether however

Just an added fyi, supermarkets will probably be closed on Sunday (they are in Maria Alm and surrounding areas anyway) so you will need to do any shopping on your journey to the resort
snow report
Austrian Seagull wrote:
klang180 wrote:
Hello everyone

Thanks

I honestly believe that Salzburg is your safer bet in terms of risk of congestion, accidents, etc. and convenience, i.e. journey time, airport transit, obtaining vignettes, etc. However, there seems to be a price associated with this, which only you can evaluate. Some people would be more than happy to pay the extra, others might want to save this amount.

Thanks for the honest feedback. I do take your point on the hassle of it all but it is looking like a compact car would be 425+ from Salzburg whereas the same would be 220 from Munich with intermediates not much more. We will have 2 large board bags and know we can fit into a focus sized car i.e compact but not any smaller. A slightly larger car would make it quicker and easier to get going.

Like you say, it is down to me but at present £200 and an earlier arrival is quite compelling for me!
snow report
@klang180, it is six of one and half a dozen of the other. The drive from Munich is straightforward but on busy weekends (not related to UK half term) there can be quite long queues of traffic though given you would be arriving in the afternoon that is probably not so much of an issue. Salzburg is a bit closer but the route is almost all on single carriageway roads through various small towns etc. Driving times are probably about the same (assuming no traffic or weather issues). I would probably tend towards Munich as there is a greater choice of flights and less of a risk of flight problems (though that is fairly small) but it really doesnt matter very much at all. If the cost of a hire car is an issue for your holiday and Munich is cheaper that's your answer.
snow conditions
robandliza wrote:
How confident a driver are you and how good a google maps reader is the non-driver. I travel to Maria Alm by going cross country which avoids any motorway blues but does take 2.5-3 hours. I spent 7 hours getting there via motorway one year, just through sheer weight of traffic. Not that Maria Alm is anywhere close to Kitz but I'm sure someone here could give you a non motorway route.

Either arrival time will make it difficult to organise ski hire and lift passes on the day as I think most shops close at 6:30 although clearly not a deal breaker as you have 2 weeks
Return from Munich, I would go 14:40 as you could have a nice lunch prior to flying. I find the airport very quiet on returns, even during HT. Arrival is another matter altogether however

Just an added fyi, supermarkets will probably be closed on Sunday (they are in Maria Alm and surrounding areas anyway) so you will need to do any shopping on your journey to the resort

Thanks for your feedback. I will certainly look at the routes to Mittersill along back roads but it may be a step too far :S

No worries on the ski hire or passes, we have our own gear and usually are fine just to buy on the day as it only takes a few minutes. Agree on the times on return, early afternoon would seem ideal to me.

Good point about the supermarkets, it is always an issue for us arriving then but i guess we might find somewhere en-route if we're early enough!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy