Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Let sleeping SNOWTRAINS lie?

Poster: A snowHead
Given that there are no longer public sleeper trains from Paris to the main Alpine resorts via Moutiers, Aime, Bourg St Maurice (only Briançon remains for S.Chevalier), and given that air travel is now an exceedingly unpleasant experience, do you think the guys that operated The Snowtrain should strongly consider resurrecting it?

The overnight train that goes to the Alps at the moment has upright seats and a no alcohol policy, i.e. starts the ski holiday on the wrong foot with a crooked neck and foul mood, especially given a real bed, upon which one longs to recover, isn't available for several hours.

A chartered sleeper train could operate just a few times each season, and so should be able to ensure full occupancy. But then, maybe the operators of the overnight 'dry coach' train would get uppity and scupper it.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd certainly use such a service, if it came back.
Having tried overnight in both a normal and a biz class seat with the current option, sleep proved very elusive for our whole party. This was even after a little liquid contraband was consumed....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used the old Snowtrain service a few times, the one with the infamous disco carriage. Hardly ever managed to get to sleep, and once had to spend a few hours curled up on top of suitcases in the luggage compartment as a result of overindulging in the aforementioned disco carriage. I’d have no interest if the service was resurrected. Eurostar’s daytime service, on the other hand, is a brilliant way to get to the Tarentaise resorts, and it would be good to see that extended to other destinations or a more frequent service.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having been on the direct overnight sleeper from Calais; then Eurostar and overnight sleeper from Paris; and then direct overnight Eurostar I would happily return to the sleeper service.

But it won't happen. Crying or Very sad It was largely dropped because the rolling stock was/is decrepit; and as it becomes worse the few remaining services will probably fall away. It isn't worth replacing, given that they would now only be used for perhaps 30 journeys a year as the French are largely happy with the TGV options. I think the best we can hope for is high speed trains (to France or elsewhere) with more comfortable seats
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well I used it a fair few times back then, both to BSM and to St Anton and Innsbruck - yep there were two routes. It was an adventure every time that's for sure and perhaps you've forgotten how goddam awful it was. For one thing you had to get from wherever you lived in the UK to Calais. For me that meant a train into London, coach to Dover and then had to haul my gear up the gang plank on to the ferry and then catch a coach from Calais ferry terminal to the train station and wait a good few hours before the train rattled and creaked it's way alpwards at about 50mph. Door to door from home via Victoria Coach Station was about 20 hours. There was always a crush to stow gear, the disco carriage had only one barman and I can vividly remember people sliding around on fresh puke. And everyone smoked. Put it this way, 3rd class passengers from Delhi to Calcutta felt sorry for us. We did it because it was cheap and offered an extra day or maybe two of skiing. The return journey was just as hellish. Please don't bring it back.

Quote:

air travel is now an exceedingly unpleasant experience

Really? If you fly to Chambery or Grenoble then yes, but more civilised places like Munich, Zurich etc then pleasant enough and fast.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There is now a direct sleeper service between Brussels and Innsbruck, I watched it depart from Innsbruck last night. Bunk beds and no restrictions on booze (it is run by Austrians!). No idea how many days a week it runs but if you want a sleeper train to get you the the alps it should be perfect. Eurostar to Brussels, the sleeper train departs from the same station so no treks across the city on the RER. Once in Innsbruck easy to get to St Anton, Zillertal, Ischgl, Kitzbühel even Dolomites.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@munich_irish, Sounds bl**dy excellent.
Shrinking airline seats* and baggage policies pish me off and they're only getting worse.

(*partly self-inflicted Madeye-Smiley )
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pruman wrote:
There was always a crush to stow gear, the disco carriage had only one barman and I can vividly remember people sliding around on fresh puke. And everyone smoked. Put it this way, 3rd class passengers from Delhi to Calcutta felt sorry for us.

I never used the overnight sleeper from Calais, but you paint a vivid picture! Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@munich_irish, the sleeper service from Brussels does sound interesting, thanks for that. snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having done 2 x day trips on Eurostar to Les Arcs in a seat overnight each way...for the adventure (it was fine).... i prefer to sleep in my bed the night before a skiing trip. I came home from Flachau last Sunday. Left the flat at 8am and walked in the door at 1.00pm. The outbound was a bit meh....leave the house at 4 15am arrive at the flat at 11.45, having gone shopping en route and reported damaged bag at the airport
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Pruman wrote:
There was always a crush to stow gear, the disco carriage had only one barman and I can vividly remember people sliding around on fresh puke. And everyone smoked. Put it this way, 3rd class passengers from Delhi to Calcutta felt sorry for us.

I never used the overnight sleeper from Calais, but you paint a vivid picture! Laughing
Vivid, and entirely accurate.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
munich_irish wrote:
There is now a direct sleeper service between Brussels and Innsbruck, I watched it depart from Innsbruck last night. Bunk beds and no restrictions on booze (it is run by Austrians!). No idea how many days a week it runs but if you want a sleeper train to get you the the alps it should be perfect. Eurostar to Brussels, the sleeper train departs from the same station so no treks across the city on the RER. Once in Innsbruck easy to get to St Anton, Zillertal, Ischgl, Kitzbühel even Dolomites.

Friend of mine is on that haha! Judging by his Instagram Story, it actually looks pretty ok - and apparently empty! Compartments seem to have two big benches on the bottom opposite each other, and then bunks above.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd take an overnight service and with the increased attention to climate issues I think it's only a matter of time before overnight sleepers become popular to various locations. Only at the weekend the Swedes announced a daily sleeper from Malmo to Cologne with connections on elsewhere.

I took an overnight sleeper train from Gothenburg to Åre at Christmas. It didn't have a disco carriage but it is a great way to travel IMO.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clarky999, There were not that many folk getting on the train last night and there seemed to be plenty of room. There was a post here before Christmas were someone had used the sleeper from Vienna to St Anton, it was busy and space for storage was at a premium. The carriages had not been built with skis in mind!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Several years ago there was a snowHeads weekend meet up at Aviemore (for skiing on Cairngorm) and as I recall several of the London based sHs came up on the overnight sleeper from Euston. snowHead
latest report
@Alastair Pink, me...but I couldn't afford the sleeping compartment so slept in the reclining seat. I did manage to blag my way into the sleeper only bar to be wirh everyone.
ski holidays
There's apparently a Dutch snowtrain from Amsterdam to Langen in the Vorarlberg, via Innsbruck, Oetztal and St Anton. The Alpen-Express...

[url=]https://twitter.com/StuartKenny/status/1215708689983819776[/url]

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 20-01-20 11:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I really loved the snow train. I would be knackered from work, put earplugs in and eye mask on, then crash out and wake up at about 5am somewhere near Moutieres. I have slept the entire journey on the way back. You would always have a few drunks sliding the doors open and trying to get into the wrong bunk. You would also have people still wobbly the next morning taking the wrong holdalls and boot bags - I had to rescue my boots and holdall on one occasion. It was far better than the current overnight Eurostar which I have used loads of times. The daytime Eurostar service is brilliant but I kept on going overnight hoping for that extra powder day - which I have scored on a few occasions. Ski Meribel used to do an overnight coach with fully reclining seats, I thought this was excellent but it is not running anymore either.
snow conditions
if you are in the North, the worst part of the journey is getting to Dover. Europe is a comparative doddle, either by road or rail. We live a 10 min taxi journey from Liverpool airport, with 3 flights a day to Geneva, - perfect! lucky I accept.
snow report
https://www.nightjet.com/en looks pretty interesting ...
snow conditions
I always get the Nightjet to Austria with the kids for Feb half term. Easy change at Wels for anywhere in the Ski Amade area. 8 days on the slopes. Brilliant. We buy a whole 4 berth couchette compartment, €199 each way. My experience a lot of Flemish or Dutch families (not sure which) use this train.

At the moment you Eurostar to Brussels, then take a German ICE train to Cologne (2 hours). The new service extension to Brussels will cut the ICE train out.
latest report
See Admin, since he's traveled it to get to one of the BBs I believe, but there is also the

https://www.thello.com/en/paris-venice/ which might make Dolomite skiing veerrrry attractive by train (and with great prices!)

I've done the original 'vomit comet' from Calais a few times, which was as above, quite an 'experience'. You only went to the disco bar once. As a schoolkid we also did Calais to Landeck 3 years in a row - For some reason we used to park up in sidings near Basel for a few hours as I recall.

But the one I regret most is the Paris: Bourg overnight couchettes: leaving at 11pm from Gare D'Austerlitz meant you could get to Paris, have a nice dinner in town, and then go to bed , wake up in the mountains. Highly civilized, sadly missed. ( And it ran daily: often on 'boys weeks', people couldn't make a full week, so there'd be people arriving / departing throughout. Easy with a train, not so easy with an airport transfer requried)

And indeed 'sadly missed' on the last time we tried to catch it before it was taken out of service, thanks to E-star delays. Still, they put us up at the Gare de Lyon Mecure, then onto an 8am train next morning. But it wasn't the same...
snow report
@Pruman, I used the snow train a few times in the early 90’s, must admit I loved it, but then I was in my early 20’s and it was always a group of blokes.
Used to load up with duty free from the ferry on the way out, the lone Barman never seemed to be on a bonus system!!!!
The disco bar on the way back was (not surprisingly after a weeks skiing and drinking) generally a slightly quieter affair!!!

Must admit looking back now, it was a bit of a faff getting from south London to Victoria, then the old rattler train to Dover priory(?), passport control, shuttle bus on to ferry, (from memory the baggage stayed on the bus, but I could be wrong) then off the other side and embark on the train.
But that is how I went on my first ever ski holiday to val thorens, and a couple afterwards, so really didn’t know any difference.
memories of waking up/coming round( Toofy Grin ) near chambery, with snow on the ground at stupid o’clock in the morning, as the train did some sort of turn around manoeuvre

Personally, am far too old for it now, I prefer driving because I cannot stand faffing around in airports.

Happy days though!!!!!!
snow report
Just reading this thread and I travelled on the overnight train from Calais to Moutiers about 15 years ago. It was an experience to say the least. managed to find an old pic of the disco cariage. I remember it stopping at almost every station it went through during the night. It was nice to have a bed though compared to the overnight Eurostar.

I can also remember in the morning that the disco carriage was sloshing around with sick everywhere Sad

th-5559091519-1152x864
latest report
I am a fan of the daytime Eurostar service - particularly the return from Moutiers, which leaves at 10.14 and arrives at 16.13. I also found the Ski Weekends overnight coach service from Victoria to Brides relatively painless, particularly if you had the premium seats. I never tried the Ski Meribel coach service. Would be interested to hear if anyone has had experience of the Snow Express coach service. FYI, I believe that the overnight sleeper train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok still has a disco car (with a glitter ball), which gets quite lively - and it only costs £19 for a second class sleeper.
snow report
Yah, the Snowtrain was great fun... bring it back I say.
ski holidays
Quote:

FYI, I believe that the overnight sleeper train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok still has a disco car (with a glitter ball), which gets quite lively - and it only costs £19 for a second class sleeper.

yeah, but what's the skiing like? Smile

31 years ago (OMG) We did the sleeper from Bankok, south to Phuket. Armed guard between the tourist carriage and the rest of the train...
latest report
@Legend., the Swedish proposal is just an idea at this stage, there are a whole host of issues to sort (not least that Swedish sleepers are apparently too wide for continental tracks!

The night train up to Åre is great: zero stress, a good night's sleep and wake up in central Åre. If only it was so easy elsewhere.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We did the Chaing Mai to Bangkok Sleeper over Xmas, no disco carriage, no armed guard but strong coffee and strong smelling toilets on our one. We did the snow train back in the 90's, disco carriage closed down due to a minor punch up.
ski holidays
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/20/brussels-vienna-night-train-returns-as-europe-eyes-flying-alternatives
ski holidays
Took the overnight “sleeper” with the disco car many years ago with some mates when much younger. Not much sleeping done on the way out and some very sore heads in the morning.

Such was the experience that I and a few others decided to take the Eurostar day train for the way back despite having paid for a return. And thats when I was young enough to supposedly stand such rigours!
snow conditions
Sure I read that the Brussels - Vienna is only Thurs night this year but opening to every night from next winter.
Really want to give it a try.
ski holidays
@dazzle109, the Guardian article says two nights a week in each direction
snow conditions
ster wrote:
Such was the experience that I and a few others decided to take the Eurostar day train for the way back despite having paid for a return. And thats when I was young enough to supposedly stand such rigours!

Way back was always more subdued.
snow report
@dazzle109, @munich_irish, Thursday and Monday
ski holidays
@munich_irish,

OBB train from Brussels to Vienna via Innsbruck runs 2 times a week there and 2 times a week return.

They also start Amsterdam to Vienna later this year..

OBB is now the largest night train operator in Europe.

It bought all the night trains from Deucthebahn (who stopped) and refurbished them.
latest report
mgrolf wrote:
@Legend., the Swedish proposal is just an idea at this stage, there are a whole host of issues to sort (not least that Swedish sleepers are apparently too wide for continental tracks!

The night train up to Åre is great: zero stress, a good night's sleep and wake up in central Åre. If only it was so easy elsewhere.

Doing the sleeper to Are in March; great value (it would appear) for a first-class cabin! Looking forward to it very much.
ski holidays
I can recommend the Orient Express to Venice (or Verona) for proper first class wink
snow report
There are French sleeper trains to Ax les Thermes and Gare d'Andorre-L'Hospitalet in the Pyrenees. Considering how much snow they are getting right now and the fact that that line alwasy seems to be a bit cheaper, it's tempting!
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
I can recommend the Orient Express to Venice (or Verona) for proper first class wink

I did that a few years ago as a mystery birthday treat for my other half. (return via plane)

It's the only/best way to arrive in Venice, i.e. upon waking up.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy