Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

pigeondave dodges the bullet

Poster: A snowHead
Scarlet wrote:
it'll buff out Laughing

Well Scarlet was right Toofy Grin

Before:

After:

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 19-01-20 14:48; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@spyderjon, wow! Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@spyderjon, HA HA!! Very Happy

Better than the best ski tech in the 3 valleys!

I bet the bases are flat and smooth now too. wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And they come with a 5 year guarantee (guarantee void once the skis leave my shop).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've a pair, far less damaged than those, that I gave up with after 3 repair attempts at 2 different shops here. I'll bring them to the Piste Office Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon wrote:

Ooh, looks like I'll be adding to my sig wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can I join the chorus of Wows.
Care to elaborate on what you did? In the before it looks like sidewalk, edge and base are all shot. I guess the core was fine?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Should hold up fine with a dainty finesse skier like @smygusdyngus.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Should hold up fine with a dainty finesse skier like @smygusdyngus.

Yep, I'm like a Rolls Royce. A big, heavy, powerful beast which wafts along the snow. Cool

Sometimes somewhat uncontrollable when it gets icy.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon wrote:
Scarlet wrote:
it'll buff out Laughing

Before:

After:

That is amazing. Ski would have gone straight in the bin! No wonder you’ve been busy!!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scarlet wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

Ooh, looks like I'll be adding to my sig wink

Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's hard to imagine @SmigusDyngus dodging anything...other than maybe his round.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
betterinblack wrote:
Can I join the chorus of Wows.
Care to elaborate on what you did? In the before it looks like sidewalk, edge and base are all shot. I guess the core was fine?

I didn't think they were as bad as they looked when adithorp first posted the pic a few weeks ago as the sidewall damage was located directly above the edge impact meaning that was what pushed the sidewall up/out - as opposed to any overflexing of the ski. Plus the damage was next to the heel binding so overflexing of the ski was highly unlikely as the metal base on the Peak heel is bomber.

The impact had bent up the edge and pushed the sidewall up'n'out but there was no apparent damage to the edge of the core. I removed to bindings (which is easy as they had QK inserts) and then flex tested the ski in comparison to the good one to prove that the core was fine. The sidewall above the damaged edge was cut out in two sections (both approx 30mm long) and there were only a few core material splinters attached to the rear and I could see that the side/edge of the core was indeed in good shape. My moisture meter then confirmed that there was no moisture ingress in the core or if there had been it'd had dried out.

Although bent upwards the metal edge was still in one piece so I was able to straighten it to an acceptable degree (which is always preferable to having to replace a section of the edge which would give two joints/weak spots). The two original pieces of sidewall were then cleaned up and epoxied back in with a bit of pigment in the epoxy mix to match it to the off-white sidewall colour. Although the p-tex base was not penetrated the damage caused a crease in the p-tex which I flattened/removed with heated clamps. There were some burrs to the base edge angle which has been dressed down and there were a good number of base repairs to the rest of the base of the ski which presumably was caused by the same rock but all of this was taken care of with a full service excluding a base grind as that wasn't needed.

The epoxy used is flexible and waterproof but as the sidewall repair is adjacent to the heel binding there's very little flex in that area so I'm as confident as I can be that's it's gonna be fine, especially if run on the outside edge.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm sure that pigeondave won't mind me detailing the costs as I've had a couple of people ask me.

The cost of the repair was £35 + £35 for the hand service including trimming the sidewalls and bunch of base welds. Then £10 for replacing some of the QK mounting screws (for which the rear heel screws for this binding need machining) and the supply/application of some VC3 threadlock and reinstalling the bindings.

So the total cost was £80 including VAT which is a lot cheaper than new skis! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@spyderjon, you are a magician!
ski holidays
Dupe

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 19-01-20 21:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
I'm sure that pigeondave won't mind me detailing the costs as I've had a couple of people ask me.

He won't appreciate you sending a signal to the market that he has that much money to burn....you've just undermined his careful chinstroking negotiation for his next purchse wink
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

He won't appreciate you sending a signal to the market that he has that much money to burn....you've just undermined his careful chinstroking negotiation for his next purchse wink

Don't worry the chinstroking is an old Jedi mind trick, it seems to work well most of the time.
snow conditions
Some job!
snow report
So in summary, @spyderjon, falls for the challenge hidden between these lines...

adithorp wrote:
...took it to "the best guy in Meribel" and he said it can't be fixed; "Too dangerous" apparently...

Toofy Grin

Nice work Jon. Did you put big L and R on the tips so he keeps them on the right feet?
snow conditions
@adithorp, right feet ?
I thought I was supposed to put it on the left feet?
ski holidays
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad This is some witchery magic Shocked Shocked BURN HIM!!!
snow report
adithorp wrote:
Nice work Jon. Did you put big L and R on the tips so he keeps them on the right feet?
R? I thought @pigeondave, had 2 left feet NehNeh
latest report
Impressive - how was the damage done, was it another "hold my beer and watch this" moment or did he just ski over his wallet?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 20-01-20 15:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@DB, not his wallet as he left all his cash hidden in a glove in the room then forgot where he left it Laughing
Could be anyone of several rocks that he found throughout the day rolling eyes
snow report
@Daishan, it wasn't one of his stinky gloves was it? In Alleghe last year we had people get on a gondola with us and swiftly step back off when they realised Dave's hands smelled of cheese.
snow report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, the gloves were the newer ones.
ski holidays
@SnoodlesMcFlude, bleugghhh
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SnoodlesMcFlude, can't be as bad as his driving shoes.

@Daishan, you might have a point. Then again, maybe he should just have "this way up" on them Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy