Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A view from the ski pass office

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all

Before the madness of the school holidays arrive I thought I would give a few hints and tips I've learned from dealing with customers during the last couple of years.

* Remember buying online 7 days in advance can have the best savings for everyone, not just families.
* Bring your old ski passes with you, chances are they might work and save you a couple of euros. You might be able to reload the cards online.
* You don't have to wait for your first day of skiing to buy your ski pass, you can do it the day before.
* Tell the ski pass people if you have children, are students etc, we are not mind readers but want to give you the best priced pass for the ages in your group.
* Your ski pass office might be open late during the school holiday weekends, again helpful to buy your ski passes for the next day/week.
* Usually the ski resorts have entertainment planned during the school holidays, best to ask at the tourist office for detailed information.
* The school holidays are very very busy (and very strssful for us) so please give the ski pass office a friendly smile even if you have been waiting. Sometimes we have chocolates to give!
* Don't be offended if the french staff talk back to you english, they like to practice their english Smile
* Some resorts have automated machines to buy ski passes.
* Don't keep mobile phones, other cards in the same pocket as your ski pass.
* Finally keep your receipt, very useful if your ski pass gets lost during your stay.

Feel free to add anything else I've missed.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 23-01-19 16:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Don't be offended if the french staff talk back to you english, they like to practice their english

Or if the French staff talk to you in French because they don't speak English, or speak very little. You are, after all, in France.

And say "Bonjour" when you reach the front of the queue. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ps it is possible for expats to get a job with the ski lift company, persevere (even if you are not fluent).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
* There is plenty of information available on lift price options - online, posted around the ticket office, usually on piste maps or leaflets. Decide in advance what you need don't expect the counter staff to talk you through each one at length.
* You will unfortunately have to pay. Have your credit card or wallet handy rather than buried at the bottom of a backpack, in your husband's pocket etc.
* if you are going to have to take off gloves, helmet, goggles etc please do it in advance rather than at the window and don't put them all back on before moving away.

#selfishpricksruiningitforeveryoneelseinthequeue
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Take a photo of your receipt and lift pass on your mobile. The paper receipt is all too easy to lose!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you're going to Austria - just buy your lift pass from your hotel reception on the evening you arrive, then you're ready to go first thing in the morning with no queues to worry about.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pft, we can't buy our passes online this year, they have to be purchased at the lift station, how quaint rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@homers double, where you going? Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
* When choosing a life partner select one who genetically will give you taller kids so that the RFID pass is close enough to the sensor
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fold the receipt so that the proof of insurance is visible, put it and the pass together and wrap into clingfilm to prevent water damage.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Borrow your buddy's lift ticket on their dayoff wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Check for deals on passes in the early or late season. Passes for kids vary in price and eligibility depending on the resort. Some passes allow you to ski from 3pm the afternoon BEFORE they are officially valid. If you are spending more than a couple of weeks in the same area in a season, a season pass may be cheaper than individual week passes. I bought a Salzburg Superski season ticket with an early discount for this season and it broke even at around 17 days skiing. Bargain!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Likewise - Magic Pass

30 resorts

All year - summer bike uplift too

Cost = one week normal pass
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Also don't keep your lift pass in your pocket when you shop in the large Super-U down in the valley. It sets off the theft alarms at the exits, as I discovered last year Shock
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ingemar_Skidmark wrote:
Quote:

Also don't keep your lift pass in your pocket when you shop in the large Super-U down in the valley. It sets off the theft alarms at the exits, as I discovered last year Shock

This also applies to Sainsbury's. Went out in my ski jacket the other day as it was cold, and set it off. Forgot I had last year's pass in my sleeve pocket.
snow report
Don't forget passport photo and elastic springing fob thing....
Oops wrong century
snow conditions
Quote:

Oops wrong century

This made me laugh - I'd forgotten all about those fob things. I used to love them as a kid.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Borrow your buddy's lift ticket on their dayoff wink

Already this season people have been caught out by this, not really worth the fine.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
* When choosing a life partner select one who genetically will give you taller kids so that the RFID pass is close enough to the sensor

Or genetically shorter so they're 5 and under until they turn 10 Smile I actually had to go back to get a passport at Les Gets to prove my child was under 5 being so tall! She couldn't fit under the turnstyle rolling eyes
snow report
@Canuck, I have one of those ( a 5 yr old that is so small looks like he is 2). Does this mean that I can get him an under 5 pass or do you usually need to show passport?
snow conditions
I don't think you usually need to show id for a child, just in this instance I needed to get her a pass despite being 4 as she was too tall to go under the turnstyles. I guess they must not have believed she was 4. My niece who is quite small still gets to ski for free despite being 6 Smile
latest report
Looks like it depends on the ski pass office. Here we ask for ID's.
ski holidays
They don't seem to ID children in Canada anyways, I suppose most parents wouldn't have ID for their child unless they'd been on holiday.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, Madonna Di Campiglio.
snow report
check out the insurance offered, even if you have off piste travel insurance. No questions asked and no payment required if a recovery from the mountain is ever sadly required, (2 daughters so far over the years), - I speak from experience.
snow report
Another point to add - It's easier if you don't have your mouth covered when asking for your skipass!
snow conditions
Quote:

I don't think you usually need to show id for a child

IME you are often asked for passports for kids for whom you are seeking an age-conditional reduction. I also had major problems buying a family pass for friends who were not married and skiing with their two kids. I only got away with it because I knew the woman in the ski pass office (who spoke no English, which is why I was doing the buying) and could assure her that I knew them, and they were a genuine family. French families have state documentation which does the job.
snow report
When using your online pass for the first time and passing through the photo gate, wear a comedy Donald Trump mask so your friends can borrow your pass as long as they wear the same mask.
If they forget the mask, then simply go nuts on the St Tropez fake tan and glue a shredded wheat to your barnet.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oleski wrote:
Fold the receipt so that the proof of insurance is visible, put it and the pass together and wrap into clingfilm to prevent water damage.

This is a good idea.

If you lose your pass you also lose the receipt
ski holidays
harrim51 wrote:
Oops wrong century

Or Scotland!
snow report
twoodwar wrote:
check out the insurance offered, even if you have off piste travel insurance. No questions asked and no payment required if a recovery from the mountain is ever sadly required, (2 daughters so far over the years), - I speak from experience.

Or join the Austrian Alpine Club (kids are free)
snow conditions
If you ski alone, perhaps leave a note of the pass/receipt number with friends or in your accommodation. In the unlikely event you get injured but not found, e.g. in a hole off the edge of the piste, it might narrow down the search area to somewhere below the last used uplift.
latest report
Thought I would repost this as the Feb holidays are not so far away now.....
latest report
ecureuil wrote:
If you ski alone, perhaps leave a note of the pass/receipt number with friends or in your accommodation. In the unlikely event you get injured but not found, e.g. in a hole off the edge of the piste, it might narrow down the search area to somewhere below the last used uplift.

How bizarre: whilst boarding around La Clusaz on my own today, I was just thinking that I should probably give my girlfriend my pass number for this very reason.

Even though my off- piste straying is VERY limited.

Best not tell her why I'm giving it her though.
latest report
Make sure you note which is your pass and which belongs to your 6 year old son, both cc sized bits of plastic with no obvious markings!

When you get stopped wrong side of the mountain nearing closing time and given 30 minutes to bring the right pass or the €250 pass belonging to you son is going to be destroyed!
snow conditions
La paix wrote:
Make sure you note which is your pass and which belongs to your 6 year old son, both cc sized bits of plastic with no obvious markings!

When you get stopped wrong side of the mountain nearing closing time and given 30 minutes to bring the right pass or the €250 pass belonging to you son is going to be destroyed!
That happened to my better half in La Clusaz - the guys over there were quite rude to her as well. Had to rush from La Balme to Beauregard with our son (and the exchanged pass)
snow report
@Alpinebear, is this a name change?
snow report
When you’re teenage kids have spent all their money on tattoos and weed and bully you into buying their season passes, you can do it online and put their names in as Jerry mcstudmuffin and upload a real embarrassing photo, then sit back and enjoy the lifties laughing at them every time they go through a gate.
snow report
London_Falcon wrote:
Take a photo of your receipt and lift pass on your mobile. The paper receipt is all too easy to lose!

This year the woman at the lift office also recommended taking a photo of the card itself, showing the number and bar code. She also recommended all members of the group (including children) did the same
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
@Alpinebear, is this a name change?

I was wondering that, but if it's the person I'm thinking of they ve really mellowed.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy