Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva - New Vehicle Emission Rules from 15 January 2020

Poster: A snowHead
Be aware if your are planning to drive your own car through Geneva during days of high pollution. French Crit'Air stickers are valid.

Copied from attached article:
https://www.ge.ch/document/air-stick-air-and-differentiated-traffic-geneva-information-english/telecharger

From 15 January 2020, during an air pollution peak, any motorized vehicle not
displaying a Stick'AIR sticker corresponding to one of the authorized categories will
be temporarily prohibited from circulating in the centre of the Canton of Geneva.

The Stick'AIR sticker will be on sale from December 2019 at a cost of 5 francs.

Air pollution is a major threat to health, affecting in particular the most vulnerable persons.
To combat this more effectively, the Canton of Geneva is introducing a new emergency
scheme in the event of air pollution peaks. This notably provides for a measure
unprecedented in Switzerland: differentiated traffic within a temporary low emission
zone.

Accordingly, as from 15 January 2020, whenever an increase in air pollution is observed or
forecast, vehicles with the most adverse impact on air quality will be banned from circulating
in the central Geneva urban area between the hours of 06:00 and 22:00. This restriction will
be lifted once air quality returns to normal.

This measure is based on the identification of the environmental
performance of vehicles by means of a Stick'AIR sticker
available in 6 different categories.

During a smog episode, only vehicles displaying the Stick'AIR
sticker corresponding to the authorized categories will be able to
circulate within the temporary low emission zone. This measure
will be announced in advance in the media, on air.ge.ch or via the
smartphone app Air2G2 and, when activated, at points of entry to
the temporary low emission zone by specific signs on main roads.

Apart from certain exceptions (see overleaf), this measure
concerns all vehicles, regardless of their place of registration.

From December 2019, the Stick'AIR sticker will be on sale at a
cost of 5 francs at the Office Cantonal des Véhicules. If correctly adhered, it will remain valid
for the lifetime of the vehicle.

In addition, the Geneva anti-smog system includes a new powerful incentive to encourage
modal shift: when pollutant concentrations trigger the reinforced traffic restriction level,
public transport will be temporarily free of charge throughout the cantonal network (zone
10).

All these provisions can be activated in Geneva as from 15 January 2020 in the event of
increased air pollution - with a grace period until 31 March 2020 for the purchase of the
Stick'AIR sticker. In addition, a transitional period of two years has been set up for
professional transportation vehicles.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd advise getting one of the French stickers as the Geneva ones aren't at this stage valid in France and potentially they could be needed for the Savoie region, Annecy, Lyon, Paris, etc, but the French ones are valid in Geneva.

Order direct from Crit'Air (in English) and the are about 4 euros including postage
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you generally go through the Geneva to get to the airport and you car is 'banned' for that day you will need to take the longer route around the center (not all of Geneva is in the zone) and possibly via the autoroute (don't forget your vignette). The fines are fairly chunky as well, 500 CHF if you get caught. I suspect the Swiss will be very vigilant on this.

I will use my French Crit'Air, and as indicated above, cheap and easy to obtain
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
is it possible to buy the French one without doing it onine as we are off on Friday and wouldnt get one in time if we apply onine
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@robs1, you would only need one on particular days when they deem pollution to be too high and if you enter the inner Geneva city zone which can be by-passed as per @rwilson. Its unlikely pollution will be high next week as forecast suggest a shift in the high pressure system to more unsettled weather. I am not aware of Crit'Air being enforced anywhere in Haute Savoie.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the info. I reckon cars rented in the french or the swiss part will already have the sticker?
And how can one know if the access is limited? Most people won't check the website prior to arriving in the area...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Swiss car nazis make driving in Switzerland very unpleasant.

Avoid the country altogether.

Ski elsewhere, in France, Italy, or Austria.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Whitegold, Changed your tune have you? You frequently include Zermatt and Verbier in your 1. 2. 3. recommendations
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DJL wrote:
@Whitegold, Changed your tune have you? You frequently include Zermatt and Verbier in your 1. 2. 3. recommendations

Maybe Whitegold only ever uses Swiss railways to get to the resorts - oh, wait, he doesn't like railways does he? wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
robs1 wrote:
is it possible to buy the French one without doing it onine as we are off on Friday and wouldnt get one in time if we apply onine

When you apply online you get chance to download or print an invoice which covers you until the sticker arrives and is defense against a fine if caught out
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When you apply online you get chance to download or print an invoice which covers you until the sticker arrives and is defense against a fine if caught out[/quote]

Thanks will do that as we are there for eleven wks this time and will be going to the airport a few times picking up folk and some are non skiers so may visit the city.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Geneva air pollution rules are in force this weekend. Am I right in thinking that my rental hire car tomorrow (from Geneva airport Swiss side) is unlikely to have a sticker?

I was hoping to go through the city on the way to Abondance, but may have to use the motorway instead which I think is outside the zone.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@denfinella, my rental last weekend from GVA did not have a sticker but I always take the swiss mortorway around the lake.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The pollution level has been really bad, from where we are in St gervais you can see it easily and I drove to the airport to pick up family on thursday and it was really bad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@denfinella, thinking about it rental cars are probably exempt as it would be impractical to implement as cars are transferred all over Europe.

@robs1, the dominating high pressure system is not helping disperse the pollution and as such crit’air restrictions are in place tomorrow in Annecy city centre.

https://www.ledauphine.com/environnement/2020/01/24/pollution-haute-savoie-vignette-crit-air-obligatoire-a-annecy-ce-25-janvier-pass-air-pur-sibra
snow conditions
@Ozboy, I can't see any specific rules for the Geneva zone, but for the equivalent French ones, hire cars are *not* exempt.

However, apparently there is a "grace period" until the end of March, so does that mean it's not enforced yet?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy