Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Baby/toddle ski trip advice - Chamrousse / Les Saisies / Val Cenis / La Rosiere or somewhere else?

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking at a mid-February ski trip but will have baby and toddler in tow. There will be two families with two kids each, all adults can ski well. Toddlers unlikely to ski but might want to have a little play in a snow garden (3yo). Babies will be looked after by adults on rotation, so we'll tag team the skiing. I've been considering Chamrousse, Les Saisies, Val Cenis, or La Rosiere so far. Anyone been to these and can give pros/cons? Are there other resorts that I should be considering? Looking to DIY on a tight budget.

Skiing wise - ideally like it to be readily accessible so no faffing with ski buses, etc, as we'll have limited time to get out on the slopes. Ideally some reds/blacks with a chance at off piste if conditions are right. Doesn't need to be a huge area but I'd say 60km or more would be best, but in reality a smaller area with higher proportion of interesting pistes would be preferable to a larger area of mostly flat greens and blues.
Resort wise - nightlife not important, but would like a couple of cafes/restaurants to hang out in with babies, possibly a pool and other child friendly activities for the day time?

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chamrousse will be very busy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If it helps we did Morillon 1100 with a 3yr old. Booked him in to club Piou-Piou with ESF for the mornings up until midday and it worked very well. We all skied in the mornings and tagged for the afternoons. It wasn't an expensive holiday, and everything was convenient in resort. Crucially our son enjoyed his first experience with ESF who I have to say were great. They got him introduced to skis, did a lot of playtime, and dare I say it, even changed the odd nappy whilst they looked after him. Ever since he’s looked forward to ski school and cannot wait to get going on a morning.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@carettam,
I've been to Val Cenis a few times including once in Feb holidays when it wasn't to busy.
The skiing is pretty much exactly as you describe though the blacks are not testing.
The off piste can be great.
It's generally pretty inexpensive though it's a bit spread out and some of the accommodation is a distance from the lifts, some is ski in ski out.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would discount Les Saisies because of your red / black requirements (the blacks are nearly all very easy, and the part of the ski area around Les Saisies in particular is very gentle) and also as I think it will be very busy in the French holidays.

I suspect Val Cenis would be the quietest on your shortlist, but I can't comment on child-friendliness.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@carettam, Is mid Feb the only option? If you are on a budget you would be better off going mid March and the resorts would also be a lot less crowded.

I have been to Les Saisies, Val Cenis and La Rosiere of the places you mention. I much prefer Les Saisies and La Rosiere to Val Cenis and would not rush back to Val Cenis. Having said this the skiing in Val Cenis matches what you are looking for more. We stayed in Chalets de Flambeau but Les Balcons du village might suit your needs better.

I have done La Rosiere with a three year old (many years ago) and it was a good choice. The drawback for you would be that the more interesting runs are not the most accessible if you are not planning to be out all day. Fontaine Froide/Ecudets has a slow lift back and it can take a while to get over to the Italian side and back. You would like the new runs in Montvalaisan though and it does not take long to get to them.

You could also look at Sainte Foy and Montgenevre.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

If you are on a budget you would be better off going mid March and the resorts would also be a lot less crowded.

This. Anywhere in France will be crowded and expensive in mid February.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Get the three year old on some skis. A perfect age to learn.
My son was on them before his 3rd birthday and by the second day was doing blue runs. They have such a low centre of gravity and absolutely no fear so they pick it up easily. You'll have to help them onto the chairlift though. Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all. I'm a teacher so tied to school holidays unfortunately. I'm aware some paces will be busy. I've been to montgenevre before and liked it, but would like to try somewhere new.
I went to La Clusaz when my youngest was a baby and that worked well. Val Cenis seems to fit the bill in terms of skiing but seems a bit marmite?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@carettam, Val Cenis has some good runs, a good selection of self catering accommodation, some decent mountain and village restaurants and the wonderful view of the Lac de Mont Cenis. I like the fact that it has a slightly off the beaten track feel and people speak back to you in french...although I'm sure that at half term there would be plenty of other English families there. The drawback for me is that does not feel that cruisy and most pistes face north which is good for snow cover but I tend to like resorts like Les Saisies and Montgenevre where there are some north facing pistes but also pistes with different aspects (Also the case in La Rosiere but you have to go to Italy for the north facing). Some of the lift system in Val Cenis has been updated since our visit so it could be a better option now.

My children are also now teenagers so we are no longer tied to ski school and can spend all day skiing to further parts of larger resorts. With young children you need somewhere that is easy to get back to after a couple of hours and I think Val Cenis would be good for that. It is family orientated and one of the most reasonably priced french resorts we have been to. L'escargot green run would also be perfect for your three year old. My daughter started skiing on her third birthday in a different resort and is now doing skiing as one of her sports for PE GCSE...time flies!

Easter hols also worth considering.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Went to Val cenis last new year (not the one just gone). 7 adults, 5 kids, 4 of them in ski school. We booked with peak retreats and had a self catered chalet that was ski in ski out about 200m to the main gondola and ski school meeting point. Even at new year the only time there was a hint of a queue was when esf loaded on first thing, and even then it was cleared really quickly. Ski school was fab, best french one I've ever used and I've used a few!!! Of the adults 6 of us ski and all pretty tidy, plenty to do there, nothing really difficult but we didn't have the snow to explore the off piste. It was my choice to go there and I think some of our group were a tad worried stepping away from the more well known resorts we've frequented over the years but by the end of the week they were all sold on it and agreed it's definitely one to go back to.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Its going to be busy that week wherever you go so firstly I would focus more on finding the 'right' accommodation. I would want ski in/out right on the slopes so that its really easy to get back to the little ones, and for lunches if self catering and on a tight budget. Perhaps look at sunweb or post a question in the solutions room at chalets direct.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@CaravanSkier, From memory Les Balcons in Val Cenis Lanslevillard matches those criteria. Although we stayed in Chalets de Flambeau which was also at the foot of the pistes but more luxurious - I expect it would be quite a bit more expensive than Les Balcons at half term. We went at Easter when it was cheaper. Like Scongie we went with Peak Retreats who offer a lot of accommodation in that resort and self drive inc Eurotunnel. They are family orientated and their customer service is very good.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all, that's really helpful. I think we'll look into Val Cenis a bit more, seems to tick most of the boxes for us. I'll definitely look at sunweb, used then previously. Have already seen a few apartments on homeaway and the like for good prices. I'm not expecting to be raving about the skiing, just want enough to keep us busy. I'm liking the sound of the lack of queues. I know everywhere may be busy but that's all relative to the resort.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
we are off to Obertauern Feb 1st. Grandchild, who will just be one, 3 daughters and husbands and Partners. Staying at the Glocknerin, Pool, Water slides, bowling alley, ski hire on site, nursery slope and lift adjacent. Absolutely ski in ski out. Been there a couple of times over the years. Decent skiing although limited vertical. Picked for grandchild essentially. Oh there are horse drawn sleigh rides, and its an hour from Salzburg airport
snow report
Obertauern would fit the bill well, but based on my experience it would be significantly pricier than Val Cenis.
snow conditions
La Rosiere would be a good choice,there is a very good creche/nursery that takes kids from 18 mths and will look after them all day. Give the Tourist Office a look on their website or call them, they're very helpful and will advise you which lodgings are nearest to the creche.
snow conditions
@carettam, I would recommend Morzine as it great for kids. There is so much they can do like swimming, horse and carriage rides, fun train ride, and there’s a park. If you do need childcare check out Altitude Nannies which is a nanny company I run http://altitudenannies.co.uk
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy