Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can bindings break or come off

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm starting to get worried about bindings breaking or coming off of the ski. I'm not particularly worried when in normal skiing position but when one leans back to where all of the body weight is hinged on the binding/mount. I'm not particularly heavy (75-77kg) but it's been a growing worry as I lean more and more on my skis (either to sit on the back of the ski or to bend it so that it performs a small jump when the tension is released).

Is this a very unlikely scenario or should I avoid putting such stresses on the bindings?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@s5s, they can break or come off. But it's not something I'd worry about, provided they're properly set up and your weight is in range.

Why are you sitting back? Why are you trying to make it jump? Have you never watched a WC downhiller in slow motion? Can you imagine the stresses?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The stresses are immense I'm sure but a large component of the force I put on them is upwards, not sideways if you see what I mean. So while one skis, the stress on the binding is lateral, meaning you're forcing it to move perpendicular to the length of the ski. When you lean back, you create a moment about the heel and there is a large upward force at the front of the binding which is why I was worried the binding bolts might give up.

As to why - just having fun.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@s5s, no the stresses are immense in all directions. Admittedly on heavy duty bindings, but still. Properly mounted bindings should not detach (although it does happen). Plastic ones can break (I have such as they are lightweight and have broken a set, first time in 48 years skiing).

Really not something to worry about.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, bindings can break, I had one shatter on me 1/3 the way down a heavily mogulled itinery.
However
Someone could ski into you.
A ski could fall off a lift & hit you
Etc
Etc
Etc
You see where it's going?
Don't worry,
If poo poo happens, at least you were having fun at the ti.time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As @under a new name, view, although fairly crude in design / material spec, they are nonetheless particularly effective and resilient to the stresses imposed upon them.

It does seem, even with shock loading, that if the binding doesn't release then it's the tib / fib or knee joint that would give first Very Happy

If you just put a plain old wood screw into a piece of solid timber, then try to remove it with a claw hammer, you'll appreciate just how much force just that one screw can tolerate before it will show any compromise in integrity. To pull multiple examples out and the toe binding with it is substantially above usage levels it would appear.

That's if they're installed correctly Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try telemarking- the bindings break all the time, my Cobras at least 4 times, Targas at least once- which is why they sell a lot of spares!

Alpine- very very very unlikely- but possible.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thinking further about load paths in doing what you are @s5s, there's no real tension on the front binding fixings at all. The tips are just not secured in any way so the front binding isn't particularly loaded.

The load path is effectively putting a fulcrum at the rear end of the ski, then flexing the tail to rear binding portion of the ski only. Leaving your centre of mass high and moving it rearward just moves you past the fulcrum, loading the rear of the ski with kinetic energy, which comes back out in the "pop" when you bring your mass forward again.

The front bindings aren't really doing much in the way of load, just stopping the ski falling oft your boot.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had the base plates underneath the back bindings break - independently the day after each other whilst out skiing.

I swore then I would try and get new ski's every 3 or 4 years as much for the binding as the skis and/or get spend a bit more on a higher grade/quality binding when buying new skis.

Although to be fair the one's that broke probably weren't that old but they were second hand when I got them and I'd done a fair bit of skiing with them. Another factor my have been the kids were quite young and like to do a lot of jumps.

TBH despite the experience it's not something I think about when skiing. As someone else said there are lot of things could go wrong - but thankfully rarely do.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As people above have said, it can happen but it is very rare.

Sitting on the back of your skis isn't great for your ACL's and i would be prepared to bet that your ACL's will snap before your bindings do.

The demographic that you will see ripping bindings most are park and extreme big mountain skiers with the Din's cranked to 18, Hucking big cliff's and going off big kickers.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Only ever seen one binding actually break, and that broke at the rear, not the front. Plastic Tyrolia, broke in the mogul field down to Happy Valley from Schindler in St.Anton.
Why would you be leaning back? That doesn't sound good!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy