Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Testing and buying skis in Morzine

Poster: A snowHead
My OH and I are off to Morzine next week (27th-31st) and planning on buying new skis. Does anyone have any advice on the best shops for hiring/trying with a view to buying?
We have both been skiing on piste orientated skis ( Rossignol Hero St Ti and Völkl SL)in recent years, but now feel its time to move to something more all mountain which will cope better with varying conditions, appreciate we may sacrifice some of the pure piste performance for a more versatile ski.
Having read various review we are keen to try the new Elan Wingman along with Volkl and Stockli. Other suggestions/ recommendations very welcome.
Thank you.
Matt
Ps first post so apologies if in wrong place.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gravier ski shop. Just down from Pleney lift.
Sort of opposite Tinetan Cafe.
Former ski instructor. Lovely helpful man.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The big Intersport towards the head of the valley (as opposed to the one next to the S-M gondola) has probably the widest range of skis in town, though not sure they do anything special in the x% off hire if you buy, etc (I just did some day hires, then bought online in the post-season sales).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Michel Gravier is indeed a lovely chap. Has he stopped teaching? I didn’t think you were allowed to do that, under ESF rules.

My own thoughts would be either FB Sports (just below the Tremplin Hotel, up from Gravier Sports) or All Mountain Rentals, which confusingly disguises itself during the day, while not crime fighting, as “Beanies” cocktail and coffee bar.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for all the advice, always good to have a recommendation to start with. I’ve no doubt we will end up visiting most of them as I suspect we won’t find all the skis we are keen to test in one shop.
Looking forward to next week and getting thoroughly confused trying different skis!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@MattR14, not sure where you'll find Stöckli in Morzine.

The Wingman only goes up to 86mm. Not very "all mountain" by today's thinking... (I can't believe I am typing this) Mrs U and I are both on ~98mm and I don't believe we have sacrificed any on piste performance (I really can't believe that), actually, no, I am sure we have, but I am not carting a million and one* skis around just to satisfy my every whim.

* slight exaggeration, for effect.

As a "first" wider ski, I'd be looking at something like the Völkl Kendo 92 (or Mantra M5 but that's a bigger jump).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name,
Quote:

but I am not carting a million and one* skis around just to satisfy my every whim

Why would you do that? Wouldn't you just pick one out of the garage in the morning and ski on that?
I think there is a strong case for only having one pair of skis if you fly but if you have a place in the mountains why is more than one pair any kind of hassle?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@MattR14, just enjoy your ski and in Oct/Nov head to Zermatt for a skitest event. Truly impresive
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Or go to the skitest in Avoriaz on opening weekend in December.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jedster, because we quite often ski elsewhere ...

And often I can’t be bothered to think too hard about it! If Yul Brynner could get away only ever wearing black ...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If I had the dispensable budget I would probably acquire a pair if SLs. I’m not convinced I want to go over 100mm but apparently the new fat Mantra is very good ...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@@under a new name, not too worried about finding Stöckli, I seem to have compiled quite a list already!
For me: Rossignol Experience 88Ti, Volkl Kendo 88, Blizzard Brahma 82 or 88 and Elan Wingman.
For Mrs R: Rossignol Experience 88TiW, Volkl Yumi, Blizzard Black Pearl 82 or 88, Elan Ripstick 88W

Understand about 86 not really being all mountain in today’s world but when you are coming from 68mm SL’s a 20mm jump seems massive! All mountain is possibly the wrong description for what I think we are looking for probably more versatile would be better. We both do about 3weeks a year and at the moment almost entirely all on piste, however we are both keen to learn to ski more variable conditions and off piste/side piste when available and move out of our comfort zone (although not sure steep icy blacks I enjoy are Mrs R,s idea of comfort skiing!)
Trying to remain open minded so will definitely try some wider skis if possible Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mooney058, @doddsie, Ski tests sound like an excellent idea for getting an extra few days of skiing Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@MattR14, Yves Tavernier Sports have Stöckli skis in the window on Taille de Mas du Pleney. Saw them in there the other day. Not sure which models though
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@swskier, thanks we’ll pop in and see what they have next week.
snow report
@MattR14, you could try Alpine Sports. Just down the road from Super M bubble. Adam, the (English) owner stocks Head, Volkl, Scott, Elan.
Tavernier sports stock of test Stocklis is fairly limited but worth having a look.
snow conditions
@MattR14, yep, get where you are coming from. A small part of me says, "poop or get off the pot", as modern piste skis are so much easier off piste than old skool skinny skis, you almost might as well not bother changing if you mostly ski on piste.

That said, Brahmas and Kendos are very, very nice skis. But it's a little like the conversation Mrs U had with me a few years ago.

"Why buy an apartment when we want a house?"

Do you want to ski "all mountain" (whatever that means) or ski on piste? entirely reasonable answer either way, if it's on piste only, then stick with the sort of things you have.
snow report
@zzz, thanks, sounds like we’ll be visiting Alpine sports next week.

@under a new name, you’re absolutely right we probably need to decide what we are likely to be skiing before committing to buying. Looking forward to trying wider skis and will report back what we find.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy