Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

telemark binding keeps popping off

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi telemark newbie here. I have been telemarking for two weeks. I don't exactly know what bindings I'm using but it looks like Olympus Mt Gear binding (bought skis and bindings secondhand). However the binding (the heel bit) keeps on popping off every 5 or 6 turns. I noticed it normally happens to my downhill ski right after the lead change (so the cable pops out after the turn not during the turn). I have been told various fixes. My ski instructor seemed to think the cable tension is too high and the guy in the ski shop thought it's too low. I have tried upping or lowering the tension but to no avail. Do you guys know what's causing the issue?

One more question. How do I adjust the tension of the cable? Do I turn the cartridge or the cable? I thought its the cartridge as that's the obvious thing to do but it seems that rotating the cable actually did the trick for me.

Sorry if I've been asking dumb questions!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 14-01-20 21:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I suspect not many here will be familiar with the binding.

This one?

https://www.wasatchski.com/tts.htm

Are you using tele boots with bellows or AT boots or tele with tech fittings?

The heel there looks like an old Rottefella R8 so turning the cartridge should work.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm using tele boots with tech toe (scarpa tx pro). Yes the binding is TTS.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Apology actually looks more like this https://www.moonlightmountaingear.com/products/pure-tele-2016
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Turn the cartridge. When you attach the heel lug, does it snap closed? Can you do it with one hand? If yes and yes then not too tight. Next question is where are you attaching it on the heel?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ski wrote:
Turn the cartridge. When you attach the heel lug, does it snap closed? Can you do it with one hand? If yes and yes then not too tight.

It's quite difficult to put the heel binding on as it's quite tight and can't be done with one hand.

ski wrote:
Next question is where are you attaching it on the heel?

I attach it to the part just over the tech heel (not sure about the terminology but it's the rim that is just above where you normally lock your heel on alpine skis).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This article may help:

https://www.telemarkskier.com/inserts-weak-link-of-2-pin-tech-system/

If not that one, then likely somewhere else on that site.

Or you may get more ideas here:

https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/product-categories/telemark-bindings
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@altis, thanks for the links - will check them out.

Just to clarify the part of the binding that pops out is the heel bit not the tech toe pin.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm pretty familiar with tts and it's variants. Where are you locating the heel lever? Depending on the lever brand it can be better to rest the lower part on the ledge above the sole unit rather than in the heel piece insert - can you send a photo of it with the boot in place?

If you can't latch it with one hand then it's probably too tight.

Might seem like a dumb question but do you ski with the boot upper locked in ski mode or in walk mode? The latter can cause issues.

Happy to try to help if you want to pm me and share some photos.

Ben
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BenA, I have my boot in ski mode when I ski. Thanks a lot - I've pm'ed you.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi there. Appreciate it isn’t the answer to the question you want, but if you have TX Pro boots, I have some NTN bindings for sale (Rottefella Freeride) if you are looking for another solution. I’ve never had them fail on me and ended up with a surplus pair.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
they look like great bindings.

Have fun, teleskiing is a fantastic experience, keep it up, the sort of problems you are having are part of the deal, nothing is easy- but that is the fun.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy