Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Magic Pass + 4 weeks off work in March - WWYD?

Poster: A snowHead
It looks like I'm going to be changing jobs, and I will have four weeks or so inbetween finishing one and starting the next. That's basically the month of March. Serendipitously, I have a Magic Pass* for season access to various resorts in SW Switzerland. I'll have a car. I'm a decent skier.

The only Magic Pass resort I know is Zinal. That's one option. It's perhaps a bit isolated for a month tho. I could stay down in a valley town and drive to different resorts. Or I could change resorts each week.

What would you do in my position?

* Magic Pass resorts are:
Anzère, Charmey Châteaux-d’Oex, Crans-Montana, Crêt-du-Puy, Espace Dent Blanche (Evolène-La Forclaz- Arolla), Glacier 3000, Grimentz-Zinal, Jaun, La Berra, Les Bugnenets-Savagnières, Les Paccots, Les Marécottes, Leysin/Les Mosses/La Lécherette, Mayens de Conthey, Moléson, Nax, Ovronnaz, Rathvel, Riviera (Les Pléiades-Rochers-de-Naye), Schwarzsee, St-Luc/Chandolin, Tramelan, Vallée de Joux (L’Abbaye-L’Orient-Le Brassus), Vercorin, Villars-Gryon-Les Diablerets.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
2 seasons ago I stayed for three weeks in a flat a bit above Grone, roughly half way between Nax and Vercorin. This was very good value and meant that all of the magic pass resorts that I actually wanted to go to were within a 45 minute drive and some a good bit shorter. I think that area would also be ok for access to Espace Dent Blanch which wasn't included when I visited. Quite a long drive from there to Saas Fee which also wasn't on the pass when I visited. Perhaps spend the final few days of your trip in accomodation there which could be a great place to finish off with at the end of March due it's altitude. Top tip, Les Marecottes consistently gets more snow from any North West storm than the other resorts and is very quiet and is great for knocking out laps on through their fun terrain serviced by an express chairlift
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great situation to be in!

Unless you really need the apres vibe, I'd stay in the valley and get the trains and drive depending on conditions. There is enough geographical variation that the conditions will vary from one place to the next. Also some of those resorts are tiny and only good for a day really but still worth a visit.

Did you pay the supplement for Glacier 3000?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rambotion wrote:
45 minute drive and some a good bit shorter

That sounds appealing. I'll have a look, thanks!

leggyblonde wrote:
Did you pay the supplement for Glacier 3000?

Nope.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Nope.

Sensible. It's great for off-piste but you may as well pay on the day and it sounds like you have many other options anyway!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I’d look at staying in Vissoie:
- Easy access (a single bus ride if you don’t want to drive) to Zinal, Grimentz, St Luc and Chandolin. There’s a lot of terrain to play with in those resorts. Basically, a commute to the snow, but only a small one.
- Also easy access back down to the valley if you want a proper shop / change of scene.
- Not so far that you can’t check out places like Vercorin, Les Maracottes, Anzere etc fairly easily either.
- Small enough that it should be reasonably easy to meet people to ski with if you hang out in the bars.

I’d be disinclined to stay down in the valley in Sierre or any of those towns because it would be a right schlepp up to the snow each day, and more difficult to meet people in the towns. 1h30 driving every ski day for me seems excessive/unnecessary when you could have so much much closer at hand.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gämsbock, +1, I wouldn't want to be commuting that road up everyday especially not on a powder day.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wouldn't want to rely on the car every day, no. Very happy to be somewhere on a bus route.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd probably mix it up, with some time in resort, and some in the valley. It's worth a week in Grimentz-Zinal (of the 2 I'd say there's a bit more to Grimentz) or St Luc. I'd probably also spend a week or more in the valley. Of the valley towns, Sion is probably closest to most skiing, as a town I prefer Martigny, or you could try Aigle or Vevey for the resorts in Vaud.

The public transport normally works very well, and is well integrated, so it's reasonable to travel to a resort by a train along the valley, then a bus up to resort and back again, though it's necessarily a bit slower than driving
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Maireadoconnor, pssst....don’t forget Nax. Never forget Nax. Best off piste on that side of the valley. But don’t tell anyone....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think there is some benefit to hanging out the same place a bit so you have a chance of finding ski buddies. I assume you know Eric + Penny through Dave who might be able to introduce you to others.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It depends whether you want to try out as many places on the pass as you can, or if you want to really explore a smaller part of it. I‘m in the latter camp - I reckon you‘d not much more than scratch the surface of G/Z in a month. But if you‘d rather see all (or at least lots) of them, then it would be better to stay somewhere down the valley and accept a hefty* amount of daily travel, or move each week - imo it‘s really too hefty for each day, so I‘d move.

*From Sierre you‘re looking at an hour on public transport up to G/Z or a little less to St/C or 30-40 mins drive (on „that“ road). Sion adds only 10 mins in a car but nearly half an hour on public transport as the train from Sion to Sierre is unusually poorly matched with the bus from Sierre up to Vissoie. For the other side - there‘s a funi from Sierre up to Montana but it‘s not all that quick and it’s a decent walk from the funi to the lifts. Plus C-M and the other resorts on that side are mainly South/East facing so not really at their best in March.

Compare that to 25 mins on a single direct bus from Vissoie to Zinal, 20 mins to Grimentz, or 15 mins to St Luc. Or just stay in Zinal...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
valais2 wrote:
@Maireadoconnor, pssst....don’t forget Nax. Never forget Nax. Best off piste on that side of the valley. But don’t tell anyone....

I shall keep the secret safe! Thank you! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I think there is some benefit to hanging out the same place a bit so you have a chance of finding ski buddies. I assume you know Eric + Penny through Dave who might be able to introduce you to others.

That’s a very good argument for staying in Zinal, yeah.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You could spend some time in Evolene and get some guiding from Graham Frost - https://www.frostguiding.co.uk/courses/6/Guided_Ski_Touring_and_Off_Piste_Skiing.html I've done a couple of summer mountaineering weeks with Graham and I'd really recommend him. Trying his Zinal off-piste week this January, can't wait for that!
snow report
No idea, @Maireadoconnor, but have a wonderful time. snowHead
snow report
pam w wrote:
No idea, @Maireadoconnor, but have a wonderful time. snowHead

Thanks Pam! It’s not a done deal yet. But if the timing all works out, this is an opportunity I won’t pass up.
snow report
I would also think Vissioe could work as it is easy bus rides, but I would just stay in Grimentz as it is still easy access to St Luc and no bus ride. If you have a car, then you can still get Crans etc but be based in a ski resort with amazing skiing.
snow report
In a similar situation and will be in the region quite a bit this year with my partner. Appreciate all the info here!

We are both quite advanced off piste etc. so definitely looking to explore some of the different areas.

I'd thought about staying in the valley for the first couple trips, as we will have a car. But I can definitely see the rationale for staying somewhere like Vissoie as has been discussed. Nice to see Evolene/Arolla mentioned too. It looks like there is some really great terrain that way.

Would be cool to link up with any fellow Magic Pass folks out and about this season. I'm actually going to Saas Fee this week.
snow report
There is nothing "magic" about those resorts.

They are all a bit cr*ppy.

Small and flat.

Ski them out in a weekend.

If you have 30 days to spare, it is best to cover 10 resorts and spend 3 days at each.

Crans-Montana is probably the best on the list and could act as a "headquarters" to be based from.
snow report
@Whitegold, if you've got nothing constructive to say to @Maireadoconnor, why bother? She is obviously very excited about this opportunity, as I think anyone would be, and you have just belittled everything everyone has said to her.
@Maireadoconnor, for what it's worth I would stay in Grimentz, the linked area with Zinal is definitely not small nor flat. The off-piste options are massive. Nick Parks of Mountaintracks lives in Zinal and waxes lyrical about the the whole valley; clearly an opinion worth listening to. You may be able to link in to one of his off-piste courses.
latest report
As above Zinal /Grimentz has the most challenging skiing, Villars/Diablerets and Crans Montana are the biggest areas and places like Nax and Les Marecottes are small but have nice off piste options. Arolla and Evolène are probably also worth trying. The small Vaudois places mentioned are very small and kid/family oriented. You could also get hold of Buyclub 49chf passes for a day in Verbier / Chamonix if you want to try those out. Enjoy!

Ps I think you also have Saas Fee which is very high and scenic! A good option if it’s warm and the lower resorts struggling for snow
snow conditions
@Maireadoconnor, have no useful info for you at all but just wanted to say, have a fantastic time, what an opportunity.
snow report
@drakesnow, I know 3 more magic pass holders - we’re all based in Swiss cities so will be predominantly weekends but up for meeting up (also mainly interested in offpiste/touring).
snow conditions
@Whitegold, Clearly you have either not been to those resorts, or more likely you are incapable of skiing the type of terrain they offer. Val d'Anniviers on particular has huge amounts of accessible steep and deep terrain. It is downright unpleasant of you to give the impression to a genuine poster that you have some insight, when you clearly don't.

@Maireadoconnor, My advice is to completely anything he says.
latest report
We will be riding/skiing in Magic Pass resorts again this season having done so two years ago, a 2 month trip in our motorhome each time. I actually enjoyed the Vaud ski areas as much as the higher steeper areas like Grimentz, especially the smaller "flatter" areas where I could regularly ride an entire piste in solitude.
snow report
Wow, Guys,

This has helped me so much. I am planning to spend the month of March in the different Magic Pass areas. I am trying to avoid renting a car.

So could probably work something from the above information.

Is there a good place I can find all the public transport routes?
snow report
https://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SBB website is comprehensive.
latest report
Hi all,

Hopefully not a hijack as the thread has gone quiet, my wife & I also have the magicpass and after about 7 trips to Saas Fee now looking to go somewhere else, Grimentz Zinal seems perfect, does anyone have a recommendation for accommodation for 2?
ski holidays
@DTB, what sort of accommodation are you looking for? There are several small family run hotels and lots of S/C options.
snow report
Not too fussed, we will drive, can self cater, close to lifts, wife insists on a private bathroom
ski holidays
@DTB, Here are a few places to get you started. Mountain Heaven are a UK based company.
We stayed in the Hotel Alpina about 14 years ago when we were buying our place, it was clean and functional then, no reason to believe it's changed, the reviews remain pretty good.
http://www.alpina-grimentz.com/
https://cristalhotel.ch/
i-g.ch
https://www.mountainheaven.co.uk/
ski holidays
First post....... be gentle please,lol

I had the magicpass last season and had a great month in February with it. 2 weeks based out of Grone, and then another 2 based out of Leysin (and then a cheeky hop over to Crans at Easter too Laughing ). I felt it to be great to wake up and see what the conditions were like and then hit whichever resort I fancied.

From Grone, its a short hop around the mountain to Nax, as has been mentioned, lovely little 'resort'. I quite liked Vercorin, but by the end of a few runs on the black, the button lift back up was a heck of a long way - but the blue / red run from the top to the village is a fabulous cruise, then back in the gondola to the top. Zinal had some really nice runs, and a long black back (probably not the best thing to attempt on tired legs) to the car park in Grimentz (sadly, I was too lazy in bed to ski both resorts). Anzere had plenty to keep me amused until the weather shut the mountain.

Over in Leysin, they have lots of chairlifts, which is a plus. The linked resorts of Les Mosses and La Lecherette are small by comparison, and only have buttons, but you don't get the crowds, and there is the ski bus from the bottom end of the Leysin resort on the Solapraz piste to get you there and back. Villars / Diablerets were also nearby so got plenty of use - particularly like the long run from Bretaye back to the the car park at Villars (Roc d'Orsay Lift).

If I had the time off this year, I'd be there in a heaertbeat. Sadly, I'm going to have to restrict myself to a week with the sprog during Feb half-term. Better planning is needed for 2021 I think Cool - I just hope they keep the MagicPass going and expanding the resorts available.

Have a great time.
ski holidays
In Les Mosses right now, sunny all day, no wind, hovering around zero. Apart from a few group of kids there must have been all of 40 people out, that's about 1 skier per km of piste. Oh, and I saw 4 other snowboarders too. Very Happy
ski holidays
Hi,

My whole family are all Magic Pass holders (have been since it started a few years ago) as we live in the area. Some of my tips are:
1) Villars can be way too crowded on weekends, especially in good weather. Great on weekdays though! It has probably one of the biggest connected ski areas on the Magic pass (Les Diablerets, Villars & Gryon).
2) Leysin has a a great snow park if you are an advanced freestyler, but some of its chairlifts are museum pieces, and don't slow down when you get on them.
3) Those North facing resorts deeper into Valais have some of the best snow conditions (Grimentz-Zinal, Nax, etc.).
4) Glacier 3000 has good off-piste, but is an expensive add-on to the Magic Pass.
5) Some of the smaller resorts have excellent runs, and very few people - they just lack variety and choice. For example the yellow run down from the top of Moleson is worth it, and no queues.
6) Saas-Fee has a decent glacier if you want to extend your season, and anyway has an amazing snow record as it is very high, surrounded by 4,000m peaks. Real bonus for the Magic pass this season.

Have a great trip,
latest report
@Checkflaps, great first post, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
It's partly cloudy today in Les Mosses so that has thinned the "crowds" a bit. I walked 100m from the motorhome to the Arsat lift 45mins after opening: first rider. Second lift 1 hour after opening: first rider. Third lift (in downtown Les Mosses): fourth or fifth rider. Then, towards the top of that lift, I saw another person on the piste!

Pistes almost perfect btw.
snow report
Hi BoardieK,

Did it snow last night there? If there is some fresh snow, I may go tomorrow.
ski holidays
It did but sadly not enough to fill the corduroy!
The only icy bit I've found was the crossing on the way back from La Lecherette. Other than that pistes are better than when I arrived on Monday.
Off to Saas Fee now.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy