Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuhel run grading

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
If you've just learned to ski/board then I'd suggest not going to the Kitzbuhel area. Whilst the map shows lots of blue runs the run grading seems to be incredibly hit and miss and lots of the runs labelled blue are in my view harder than blue. There are blues like reds, reds like blues, blacks like reds etc.
Is this just my imagination - I've just got back and I did my first ever black run BEFORE tackling a red - before that I'd never been on anything but blue runs!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I found some of the reds easier than blues in that whole area (westendorf and the skiwelt included), simply because the blues were often skinny tracks, whilst the reds were wide. But the wider blues definitely felt blue. Some of the steeper reds didn't feel different to some of the wide short blacks.

Having said that, watching people come down a black in westendorf that looked vertical to me made me think there was merit in the grading! Shocked

Perhaps in some places it's more about what kind of run the person doing it thinks is easier rather than the colour of the markers? I much prefer having room to turn!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well our 7 year old loves it having skiied there since 3 and hasn't found anything to complain about. All runs can be harder or easier depending on the condition of the snow.

At this time of year many of them will be pretty icy which does increase the difficulty factor.

Don't get hung up on grades, just ski what's in front of you.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The grading is pretty subjective in all resorts. Conditions have a big influence too. An icy blue can be a real challenge but a black in good conditions can be straightforward.

As far as Kitzbühel & SkiWelt are concerned I would say the grading is about right, the run down from Choralm that @ElzP mentions or the Diretissima in Kitz are definitely steep and not for the faint hearted. The difference between a red and a blue can be small but in my experience the reds are steeper but it is no more than general guidance. Time of the day is important too, pistes are generally easier to ski first thing (though not if
the snow has frozen overnight after a warm afternoon) and get more difficult as the day goes on.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
its austrian thing to mark reds as blue Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've just had a look on youtube for the Diretissima (black 38?) and it doesn't even look steep.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@homers double, yes Diretissima is OK, but can be a bit windblown and icy at the very top. The most difficult piste is a red on the way back from Pass Thurn to the 3S Bahn which catches a lot of people out and should really be black. I often can't tell the difference between reds and blues.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy