Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New BASI L4 technical std videos

Poster: A snowHead
BASI has just released some new videos on the technical standard required for L4 exams. Be interesting to compare to the Irish ones

Bumps

Variables

Steeps

Shorts

Longs
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think these are really, really good videos. Great that they had both a guy and a girl skiing, they are long enough to show all the different tactics and techniques needed and great to see demos using various types of skis to avoid the "what ski should I be using to pass" argument. The terrain used is the exact same pitches used for the exam (but they got lucky and had hero snow instead of the usual ice and hardpack Wink )
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@skimottaret, Cheers. Interesting stuff.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@skimottaret, Yeah, really good. The bumps one especially, really good to see the different lines / tactics illustrated. I also liked that as well as having a male and female and a variety of equipment there were noticible differences between their skiing too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was assessed on a 4 tech by the male trainer in the vids and being able to take all the lines in the bumps was something he really stressed during the week and we had to change in command. I was pretty confused during the week on longs as I was never sure what turn size they were looking for , I was on cheater gs skis not sl as most were so it was good to see them demoing using different skis. Also the allowance of caddying skis for steeps and variables is a good addition. gunning fast GS turns through steep variables on 71mm wide skis is a bit unnerving..

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 20-04-19 13:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
level 4 is the highest level right?

The bump skiing is a pleasure to watch, would make nice ambient viewing with some music.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@davidof, yup the highest level is 4, there are certainly BASI L4's who ski to an even higher level than the videos but they do a good job of highlighting where the bar is... the bumps sequence with the drone footage was very cool..
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skimottaret, assume BASI trainer is "officially" higher than L4??? I used to think i was a good skier until I skied with BASI L3, L4 and trainers!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski wrote:
@skimottaret, assume BASI trainer is "officially" higher than L4??? I used to think i was a good skier until I skied with BASI L3, L4 and trainers!!!
Trainer is an appointment rather than a qualification or skiing level. Not all Trainers are appointed/employed to assess at every level of BASI qualification, and only a subset of the Trainers currently appointed by BASI will be scheduled to assess L4 candidates. BASI introduced a re-validation scheme for Trainers a few years back, and I believe the minimum standard for keeping Trainer status was to be able to ski to L3 standard across all strands.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The best BASI trainer I've experienced (in terms of the training given, rather than their personal skiing, which I know very little about) was I think "only" L3 qualified. This underlines that trainer is a job not a qualification.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
interesting that the people in the video are using different types of skis, at L4 can you take a "bumps" ski out for the day you are doing bumps and a wider one when doing variables??
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ah, they answer my question 3mins into the variables video where they say

"we encourage performers to have access to equipment more suitable for soft snow conditions. This gives the option to ski a wider ski. Not all performers will choose to do so and the variables and steeps strands could still be skied on piste skis.

With a change in equipment we would set different tasks and expect different outcomes in terms of speed and line"
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kitenski, They seem to be encouraging just that now (well at least for variables).
@kieranm, Was that an adaptive trainer? there isn't a L4 in that discipline. The trainer on my L1 Adaptive was L3 Adaptive + Alpine and was working towards L4 Alpine.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Tubaski, how does it work out on a course, do they tell you to bring wider skis the next day as required???
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kitenski, I'll let you know if I ever get good enough to find out Laughing
latest report
@Tubaski, lol!! How do you know they are encouraging swopping skis????
snow report
@kitenski, I don't know they are, I only said they seem to be, and I'm afraid I inferred that from the comments on all the videos. Although I do remember the trainer on my L2 saying they were going to allow it in future.
snow report
@Tubaski, aha, cheers!!
snow conditions
@Tubaski, yes, adaptive trainer.
ski holidays
Respect for the L4 instructors, skiing that aggressively in bumps and the steeps requires some courage and skill !!
snow conditions
@Gustavobs, not knocking them aren’t those skillz what you’d expect of an L4?
snow report
@under a new name, I expected to be a lot but that was more than I thought, but I had never seen an L4 video before. It was not my point anyway, my angle was how tough must be to get to that level.
snow conditions
@under a new name, I've only seen L4 instructors giving it full beans one or two times, so videos like those really are humbling as to how good a "good" skier is, but then again a WC skier is probably another level up again for some tasks!
latest report
If that is 'skiing', I can't ski. At all. Amazing to watch, though.
ski holidays
@Hurtle, the old - the more you learn, the less you know. Very humbling.
ski holidays
Quote:

a WC skier is probably another level up again

Very, very much so, not that I've seen that many free ski...
snow conditions
@Gustavobs, the expected lots of hours, work and effort...
ski holidays
PS those bumps look lovely yum yum.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
'SHORTS' , the BASI way aren't anything like how Austrians do them...i got my own style going on to -lol...
snow report
under a new name wrote:
PS those bumps look lovely yum yum.

I can't ski bumps like they can in those videos. Not at all.
But I'd still reckon I'd look pretty decent in THOSE bumps!

I like bump skiing but they are still the real test. Of all those videos I'd look furthest away from the standard on the bump test
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy