Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz vs Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Myself and 3 friends have booked our flights for the easter weekend at the end of March to Geneva.

We were originally considering Chamonix, however, thought we would also consider Avoriaz as we heard there is a Folie Douche and great for apres. Looking for advice from people who have been there!

Which would be best for 4 days?
We want somewhere great for Apres; always a bonus if there is something outside on the mountain, as hopefully it will be sunny Very Happy
It's late in the season, so we are looking for the best snow we can get
I am a boarder and they are skiers, so a resort that is maybe a bit boarder friendly would be great Razz

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You've already had answers on your first thread - though it is in the wrong part of the forum.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=167777&highlight=
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Having been to both, I'd say Avoriaz is better for apres in terms of on the slope drinks that turns into staying out late with your ski boots on! The Folie is in a great location if staying in the village as the is minimal skiing post session.

Chamonix is more of a "download to apres" town with minimal apres on the slopes. But with it being a large town, will have more to offer in terms of restaurants, bars, etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Folie Douche

Niche apres? Each to their own.

Personally not a massive fan of Chamonix unless skiing off piste. I'd go somewhere else. I'd also be wary of Avoriaz that late in the season as it is low.

From Geneva for the apres/ski combination I'd go to Verbier. Or I'd suck up the transfer and get further into France.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@gorilla, Avoriaz is not low- town is at 1800m and is usually skiable until closing at end April.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
But tops out at what? 2400?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Avoriaz has the Folie Douce, however, it's hardly a party town beyond that. Morzine is more that scene, but you then have the issue of last lifts down etc after the Folie.

I'd agree with @gorilla on Verbier probably. Even if you stayed down in Le Châble to save money, the lift runs until late as a form of public transport.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can't imagine avoriaz to be a great party place, it's pretty tiny. More bars and clubs in Morzine by the look of it
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@gorilla, 2227m and the highest average snowfall in France. So….
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Nadenoodlee,
Yes, normally plenty of snow in Avoriaz in April but you have to like skiing slush.

For a combo of snow and aprés I agree with @gorilla, and would choose Verbier.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ram80 wrote:
Can't imagine avoriaz to be a great party place, it's pretty tiny. More bars and clubs in Morzine by the look of it

Agreed. But again, Morzine only has the La Tremplin bar/hotel at the bottom of the run home but nothing more in terms of apres slope side!

Really depends on what the OP is after.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
1. Book accomodation in Morzine.
2. Ski up in Avoriaz and sit in the Folie as long as you wish.
3. When you're done ski down through town to the Prodains gondole and take the gondola + bus back to Morzine (last gondola 21:00/last bus 21:15).
4. Dump kit/change and head out for food and drinks in Morzine.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gorilla wrote:
Quote:

Folie Douche

Niche apres? Each to their own.

Maybe expecting wet t-shirt contests.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Resorts with an easy transfer
Book accommodation first as it is a split week, holiday weekend, and school holidays in a number of countries
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Avoriaz.
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@gorilla, Avoriaz is not low- town is at 1800m and is usually skiable until closing at end April.

+1
I can't remember a time when you havent been able to ski on the last day of the season and party Chez Flo, and thats the back end of April.
If you want a bigger choice of bars go to Morzine, and get the gondola down each night, but there's plenty in Avoriaz and its ski in ski out.
Because the Cham ski areas aren't joined, you'll have to bus it around a bit, but it's a lot bigger than Avoriaz so more choice for apres.
Personally I'd just go for Avoriaz as you wont have to think about how to get home, and you'll spend less time getting to the slopes when you come round at 11 am.
snow report
It’s the Chamonix Unlimited music festival over that weekend. Lots of acts both on-mountain and off. Probably the more interesting option but you’d have to plan ahead with which tickets to get etc.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy