Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quiver Killer removal & plugging

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This may be of use to anyone planning to remove QK inserts - I had some QKs which were redundant (bindings changed), but wanted to continue using the skis with the other bindings.

The perceived wisdom is to heat the inserts with a soldering iron to soften to epoxy then back them out, so I started off by screwing in an M5 bolt plus locknuts and heating this with a gas soldering-iron (using the mini blow-torch fitting) - this worked fine, but the amount of heat required was a bit hit and miss and I could see the top-sheet starting to bubble a bit.

I then found that without heat, by carefully & slowly tightening the bolt and locknut with separate spanners, you could feel the point the epoxy failed (without actually screwing the QK in any further and damaging the threads) - at this point the QK backed out easily.

I wanted to plug the holes using an insert with the same threads as the QK, so found these 1/4in x 5/16-18UNC allen socket grub screws on eBay (for 10p each) which I've glued back into the original QK holes

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Watch for lot of rust on those.

Perhaps nylon would be better:
https://www.mcmaster.com/94735a791
https://www.mcmaster.com/94735a791-94735A495
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Those grub screws will rust in short order. When they rust they will expand and blow the holes out. Get them in stainless.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why not just leave the QKs in?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
Watch for lot of rust on those

Good point : I've gorilla-glued them into the holes but I'll run some epoxy over them & into the socket too. They're quite old skis & only going to be used as occasional rock-skis locally, so not too worried about them
Quote:
Why not just leave the QKs in

Because I want to use them in another set of skis
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Life's too short to want to re-use inserts.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Life's too short to want to re-use inserts

Not when you've got 3 bindings worth on 2 sets of skis ~96 qks ~= £192 Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
geoffers wrote:
Quote:
Life's too short to want to re-use inserts

Not when you've got 3 bindings worth on 2 sets of skis ~96 qks ~= £192 Smile

Fair enough. Probably worth the hassle then.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use these (which are cheaper):
https://www.tappex.co.uk/products/inserts-metals/trisert-3?thread=M5&length=8.4&extras=303+stainless+steel&type=reduced_headed#selector

Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy