Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots that fit fine around the foot but are sloppy higher up

Poster: A snowHead
This is what I currently have, with Head shells and Sidas thermo fit liners.

The problem only starts after a few hours and is noticeable only if one is skiing quite fast.

Obviously one tries to tighten up the top two "buckles" on the boots, and the strap. The last shop I went into suggested this strap
https://www.ellis-brigham.com/sidas-booster-strap-expert-racer-710011
(about €90 in the resort) and it works, and I had to get it anyway because the stock one started to tear off, but is pretty hard to get tight enough.

I don't think I have thin legs. I walk up local hills every day, cycle, etc.

Elsewhere, Zipfit liners have been suggested as a fix for everything but nobody sells them anywhere near where I live (south east, long way from London) and I am not sure if they do anything for the upper part.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get a tape measure and find out the circumference of your calves where the top of your boots go to.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Where the strap is, top of the shell, 28-29cm. At the top of the liner, a bit more. Boot is a Head Duo Flex Nexo 110 LYT 260/265. Liner is a Sidas Central High with ultralon foam.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter, is this another attempt at trolling or do you really want help, and are prepared to listen?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No idea what you are talking about.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No problem. Somebody else can help you. I won’t waste my time.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have got Atomic Redster 120 boots from a few years ago and have always struggled to get them snug at the top of my calf. However, I put loads of pressure through the fronts of my boots and generally finish turns by moving my weight further back, so I don't mind too much. I have also fitted booster straps this season to try and help.

I found that the straps allowed me to tighten the boots up more at the top as the booster is narrower and only contacts the cuff, not the shell. However, after playing around with it over a few days, I found that I preferred it reasonably loose, as this allowed for the elasticity to by more pronounced (probably!). My feet also tend to get pins and needles if the boots are too tight. Maybe I need some new ones........
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
" and only contacts the cuff, not the shell"

That's really interesting since mine is lower down and the front part of it is over the very topmost 2-3cm of the shell material.

It is in the same position (vertically) as the stock strap was.

It was fitted by a ski shop in Cervinia. It was a seemingly good shop, with tons of kit, the laser foot scanning stuff, etc, and the guy sounded like he knew what he was doing.

This shows where the strap sits:

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is this honesty? Or are we wasting our time with you given you reject all advice and experience?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PS google boot spoilers
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have heard an instructor say the power strap goes over the cuff only and not over the shell

But this guy I have a lot of time for his tutes and he is ambivalent

http://youtube.com/v/yeo_8CoGqUM&list=PLM7W94B6e4-2-Ekxe9pWxIe3JoQu94VVg&index=18&t=0s

Just says it needs to hold your shins in contact wit the front.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ulmerhutte wrote:
No problem. Somebody else can help you. I won’t waste my time.

Funny you should say that, I had exactly this same problem with a pair of boots although thankfully it got sorted in the end. ..... but yes you are right, it‘s not worth helping people who instead of thanking you just argue with you.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Interesting video, ster. Especially the bit about the middle buckle being the most important.

Disregard the stuff posted by the 5-digit-post-count egotistical lot Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Peter Stevens, You will inevitably make a bit more room in the shells and liners after a few hours, or some fast or choppy runs, as you're working and pressuring them and your feet are getting warmer. Some boots and/or liners are better or worse than others in this respect. External temps and weather will obviously also play a part.

Tightening up the buckles and straps is OK to a point, but if there is genuinely too much room then you can over tighten and cause pain and nerve/vessel impingement, shell deformities, etc.

Some boots fit better or worse around the lower leg; simple fact, and one of the factors to take account of in boot choice, once foot hold is sorted, if you have the option.

Booster straps - technically meant to go from back shell around (only) rest of cuff. But in my experience, a lot of recreational modern ski boors simply won't allow that, so you have to do the best that you can.

I sympathise with the problem. I have the same, always have. Just the way that my leg shape is. Exercise ad nauseum won't necessarily change that.

Simple starting point - get some thin rollmat, neoprene foam, etc, and experiment by sticking it down inside the cuff, inside the shell between it and the cuff, front and/or back. See if it helps, and where. Then you have a starting point to go to a fitter and get something more permanent done (proper hard wearing foam stuck on, for instance).
Or try boot spoilers, as someone else said, if you can affix them (stick-on Velcro)?
Or anti shin bang things.

Or just improve your technique, check your stance and adjust boot forward lean angle if possible, learn to cope and, as some might say, apply Rule 5 wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did google on boot spoilers and decided it must be a joke Smile A google on ski boot spoilers finds them. Some look like they are riveted into the back of the boot.

You think the packing should go behind the leg, not in front of it? Between the back of the liner, and the back of the boot, there isn't much room. Maybe 3mm. I certainly can't push a finger there. The Sidas liner is about 1cm thick in that area.

I can certainly try some foam in there. Thanks; never knew these things existed as a product.
snow report
My boots are not super tight around the top of my shins/calves, they are lower down. It is not an issue IMHO, you balance over your skis, not your boots.
snow conditions
Peter Stevens wrote:
Interesting video, ster. Especially the bit about the middle buckle being the most important.

Disregard the stuff posted by the 5-digit-post-count egotistical lot Smile

You mean the people who probably haven't spunked £1000+ on a boot solution that doesn't work and knew the bottom cuff clip does the important work Laughing

& yet people were prepared to help you if you dropped the 'tude. Unfortunately it seems you're incapable of that. There is another possible cause of your problems and that's you're a shitty skier riding on the back cuffs of your boots. Of course you'll never know that if you keep thinking there is a gear way out of it and getting the full "I saw you coming" treatment on your wallet, when a couple of lessons with a good instructor might sort you out. But then I expect they know nothing because they'll have maybe a 1000 days experience.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 5-02-20 23:44; edited 2 times in total
latest report
@Peter Stevens, Have you tried thicker socks ? Not to take up space in the boot but to reduce the transfer of heat from your leg to the liner.
snow conditions
@Peter Stevens, without a doubt you are my favourite sock troll on Snowheads, nicely inventive and well written. Chapeau!
snow report
"Have you tried thicker socks"

No; I was told by everybody that thick socks are not a good idea because they enable too much foot movement.

Do you think the issue is with the liner getting warmed up and going soft?

You asked me for the leg diameter. Was this to see if there is something wrong there?

The rest of the resident beat-up mob, get yourself a life. Actually this is a good business model for ski shops, especially some of the UK ones: sell prepackaged lives Smile Would be tough though; the package would have to include restricting internet access to 23hrs/day.
snow report
@Peter Stevens, have you considered wearing thicker leggings to increase your leg diameter without increasing your foot volume?
latest report
Tuck your jeans in your boots.
snow report
Peter Stevens wrote:
I did google on boot spoilers and decided it must be a joke Smile A google on ski boot spoilers finds them. Some look like they are riveted into the back of the boot.

You think the packing should go behind the leg, not in front of it? Between the back of the liner, and the back of the boot, there isn't much room. Maybe 3mm. I certainly can't push a finger there. The Sidas liner is about 1cm thick in that area.

I can certainly try some foam in there. Thanks; never knew these things existed as a product.

You don't need any "packing" in the top of your boots. I can move my calf maybe 2-3cm from the front of the boot to the back, it's not an issue. You just need a decent technique to avoid leaning back in your boots.

Or make sure you tuck your salopettes, especially the thick elastic bit inside your boots, that will also fill any gaps.
ski holidays
look how "sloppy" the top of the boots are in this vid, you can see her shin moving around and "gaps" at the back, pretty sure she isn't worrying about padding out the top of her boot!! Especially around 1min 3secs onwards. She appears to have a second strap

http://youtube.com/v/6-8TIENFWkE
snow conditions
DB wrote:

Laughing That made me spill my coffee! Laughing
snow report
@kitenski,

I couldn't acces that clip so tried to find it on YouTube only to find out Mikaela Schiffrin's father died last Sunday. Sad

https://www.today.com/parents/olympic-skier-mikaela-shiffrin-heartbroken-after-father-s-sudden-death-t173210
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
You don't need any "packing" in the top of your boots. I can move my calf maybe 2-3cm from the front of the boot to the back, it's not an issue. You just need a decent technique to avoid leaning back in your boots

The last sentence I will definitely concur with. But for some people it isn't just that very top calf bit (much as I'd prefer not to have that at all anyway) but a lot of the way down the lower leg, front and/or rear. There isn't sufficient liner/strap/shell contact where and when you need it, and overtightening just leads to unwanted pain and numbness and poor boot performance issue. Taken me a long hunt to get a shell/cuff which gets anywhere near working (still not 100%), together with foam stick-ons and then replacement liners: but now I do feel that I actually have some feel and control in there (when I apply decent technique, of course). I personally also just hate the feel of any slop of movement at all within a boot (ski/board, climbing, hill, everyday, trainers, sports...). Personal preference...
Skiing a lot of choppy and UK 'combat' (well, not necessarily a "lot" ATM Sad ) doesn't help, nor moguls and the like - that's, to me, when lack of snug boot fit really starts to cause problems and you get extra chucked around even if you're trying your best to stay out if the back seat.
Of course better technique here will also help: but we're not all super stars yet... (sadly, and not for want of trying and wishing wink )
ski holidays
@kitenski, I see no sloppiness in that vid ...

I've added spoilers to my boots. Helps.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

How long have you been skiing?
I don't know how anyone skis for more than a couple of weeks without working that the ankle buckle is the most important.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
DB wrote:

Laughing That made me spill my coffee! Laughing

+1 you owe me a keyboard Laughing
snow conditions
" You just need a decent technique to avoid leaning back in your boots."

Interesting video. I will never be 1% as good a skier but it is good to watch. Actually it isn't front to back movement that seems to be a problem (there is maybe 1-2cm depending on how hard one presses); it is left to right. And I found that the looseness is a problem only on "fast" sections.

Using that "booster" strap to tighten up the top of the shell ought to do it. I think it is a partial solution; I need to do more skiing and play with it, and maybe some spacers.

"but we're not all super stars yet."

Indeed; reading some of the above tripe, not everyone here appreciates that Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy