Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which resort

Poster: A snowHead
Can anybody help. Planning to go skiing next year with two granchildren age 6 and 7. The challenge is my grandson 7 has a disability relativy mild but gets tired very easily and can do no.more than 1hr at a time. In essence I need direct nursery/easy slope access from the accommodation and easy access from there to simple green runs. My grandson can just about snowplough but needs support from me. Drag lifts are a challenge as these sap his energy so long .magic carpet or chairlift. Added requirements include no more than 2 hrs transfer and other kids activities as we cannot ski all day due to the disability.. Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Plagne 1800 would work in terms of other activities and the Mille 8 gondola accessing an easy 'fun slope'. Maybe 2.5 hour transfer tho.
Passo Tonale also would be two hours from Bergamo and has lots of easy skiing and lifts along the front of the main town.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Gets? I can’t remember what the nursery area is like though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Saisies, very accessible easy baby pistes with magic carpets, leading onto longer gentle pistes accessed by chairs from the same point. Also there's Le Signal centre with pool and bowling, and a mountain twister lugey thing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pxh1, how about Avoriaz? It's much less than 2hrs transfer time, and is set up as a family friendly resort.

All accommodation is ski in/ski out, and has nursery slopes running through the centre of the resort. There are then green runs straight off the resort, including one with a few mini rollers and a gentle ski through the trees ('lil stash) with tree houses in the woods.

It's also got lots of other non-skiing activities, most notably Aquariaz which is a tropical themed waterpark with slides, a lazy river and lots of pools.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Handy Turnip, nursery slopes in town are drag lift though...but the run down through lil' stash is marvelous for kids and lift served. Plus as you say, it's a lovely location if you're not skiing.

Courchevel has some good gentle slope options off a gondola, but can be a bit of a motorway with lots of other pistes converging. Also not sure if you can do transfer in under 2hrs.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@SnoodlesMcFlude, yes fair point - it is a drag lift through the resort, which isn't ideal. The green down to proclou is fairly flat and has a chair serving it, so they could always skip the nursery slopes. Avoriaz seems to tick so many boxes that it's still probably worth the OP taking a closer look.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi thanks all i have skied Avoriaz without children I cant remember name of green run you mentioned but remember the chair goes over the jumps. The run would seem ideal. Just need to find accommodation near that run so we could ski straight onto it. Thanks
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think a little more research than just the resort is necessary here. People will put forward their normal ideas, as you have seen, when they will be far from suitable in real terms.
It's about planning accommodation that is bang on the doorstep of the nursery areas and then good progression that is still close to the room.
Could I suggest you look at La Rosiere as accom can be sourced near the lifts in Mannesier and the piste front is charming with a child's ski area in the trees to the left, Valmorel with accom in Creve Couer, Les Deux Alpes with accom near Jandri or the other bubble or Alpe'd Huez.
The key is accom close by if you don't mind me saying and apologies if Im teaching you to suck eggs
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agree with @Yellow Snow, Valmorel or Les Deux Alpes would be excellent. LDA has a great beginner area accessible by short gondola.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yellow Snow wrote:
I think a little more research than just the resort is necessary here. People will put forward their normal ideas, as you have seen, when they will be far from suitable in real terms.

Just curious, which suggestions have been 'far from suitable'?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pxh1 wrote:
Hi thanks all i have skied Avoriaz without children I cant remember name of green run you mentioned but remember the chair goes over the jumps. The run would seem ideal. Just need to find accommodation near that run so we could ski straight onto it. Thanks

Ahh.. sounds like you know it already. The green run is proclou - and it's possible to ski only on green runs if you pick the right accommodation (as you'll see on the map). To be honest the Proclou blue is pretty flat anyway and would be green in most resorts. We stayed in Saskia Falaise one year, which is almost perfect as it backs on to the little Trashers green, which then leads onto the main green.

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Handy Turnip wrote:
@SnoodlesMcFlude, yes fair point - it is a drag lift through the resort, which isn't ideal. The green down to proclou is fairly flat and has a chair serving it, so they could always skip the nursery slopes. Avoriaz seems to tick so many boxes that it's still probably worth the OP taking a closer look.

Agreed, the runs down to Proclou (I forgot the name of the lift) are really good options as quite wide and fairly gentle angles. Also the other lift which heads in the opposite direction from the same spot (Seraussaix) has gentle greens off it too.

It's right that you need to make sure you get the right accommodation too, but no resort will be perfect in that regard so I'd say is the secondary thing to bear in mind.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Les Arcs 1600.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you are considering Geneva as route there, then Flaine would make a good destination.

Particularly Flaine Forum as it has a chairlift dedicated to the immediate nursery slopes.

In addition, for non skiing, you can ride both of the principal lifts up and down again to let him see more of the ski area without having to worry about tiredness on return. Main lift has café at top and great mountain views.
snow report
I would suggest Les Saisies, Montgenevre or Val Cenis at the beginning of school Easter holidays in that order.

I would be hesitant over some suggestions above in particular Flaine, La Plagne and Les Arcs. I would say these are better for confident intermediates.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy