Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will I be laughed out the shop?

Poster: A snowHead
I've been skiing for 30 years now, but have got worse not better as I've lost my confidence. I'm less fit, have a replacement hip, and can't be sure how many more times I will ski. I had my own boots for years which I thought were comfortable, and because they took 3 or 4 years of "adjustments" to get to that point I was loathe to replace, until about 5 years ago when they were about to shatter they were so old so I hired for a few years and couldn't believe how much more comfortable the hire boots were.

I lost a toe-nail two years ago, because I stubbed my toe. Last year I bought some Decathlon boots that seem to fit really well, but again I lost my toenails. The Decathlon boots seem to fit well, I use them with conformable custom insoles from the previous boots. Toes just aware of the end of the boot when standing, but not when flexed. No heel lift in the left one, last week I thought there was a bit of lift in the right, but didn't want to cut off my blood supply, so I put some foam under the heel and that seemed to work - but once again I have bruised my big toes and reckon those nails will be goners again.

So my question - is it worth taking a cheap pair of Decathlon boots to a boot fitter? Will I get laughed out the shop? I am wondering if I might need the toe box blown a bit (my previous well-loved Nordicas had to be blown at the front and on the little toe)

As I can't guarantee that I'll ski more than a week or two more so it doesn't seem worth spending too much, as my husband said apart from my toes looking ugly I don't actually have any pain from these boots - and I am only skiing blues and easy reds now so I don't need a "performance" fit.

Any ideas how much having the toes stretched should cost?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm sure Spyderjon will be along in a minute to give an expert view. Where are you in the UK or where are you next going on holiday, people will then be able to point you in the right direction. But I don't see why you should be laughed out of a shop, unless of course they don't want your euros! Shouldn't be too much.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Might it not be an idea to hire? While it would be a bit of a faff, you could change as often as you like until happy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I live in MK - so can get to Ellis Brigham at the Snowdome or to Bicester

I hired for a couple of years, but never got a fit anywhere near as good as the Decathlon ones I have now and I only go for a week so spending time in a hire shop isn't relaxing - I did once hire a pair of Lange that I intended to purchase at the end of the week - but I fell and broke my shoulder and got skied of the mountain on a blood wagon - buying boots was the last thing on my mind lol!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skimummk, A good fitter should not laugh at your decathlon boots. I would personally drop it off at a good shop in the resort you are skiing after day 1 and have them blow out the toe box overnight for you to save a couple of trips in the UK unless you are happy to do so.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Personally, I would get someone competent to assess the boot fit before deciding to get someone to blow out the toe section. The bruised toes could be an indication the fit is too loose allowing the foot to move forward too much.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It'd be poor form for a shop criticise your boots - if they did I'd recommend you spend your money elsewhere. However they might criticise their size/volume/flex/suitability for you which is of course is somewhat different and is acceptable providing it's done in a courteous manner. The difficult thing at this time of the year is that the shops are really busy so many boot fitters don't have the capacity to work on boots that they did not supply so I'd recommend calling in advance and asking if they'll do the work.

Just because your toes have been bashed it doesn't mean necessarily mean that they're too small. If they're too big with insufficient heel hold then your feet can just move forward, especially if you get a bit backseat. When you say "toes just aware of the end of the boot" but what you're feeling is the end of the liner not the end of the boot. I'd recommend doing a shell check before embarking on any mods, and a good shop should do that first before doing any work.

If the shell length is good and you know you're not getting backseat then it could be that you're subconsciously gripping upwards with your toes so have a think about that as it might be you need more height in the toes rather than length.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the advice.

As we have just returned from skiing I'm not in a hurry to get them sorted - we might possibly go again this year but if not then I have till next winter. I should have got them checked in resort as the idea of making an adjustment then trying it seems very sensible - but it might be easier to explain to someone in the UK what exactly I am feeling. So taking into account that boot fitters will be busy I'll leave it a few weeks as I can get them looked at out of season if we don't go again this year.

If I had to criticise the fit at all it would be that there is a bit of lift in my left foot, but the right feels fine - it could be walking in them that causes the damage as that is the time when I am aware of my toes, if I trip (I'm clumsy) the toes smash into the boots and as spyderjon says its on top rather than the end.

As I've lost my confidence on the slopes I think I probably don't lean forward as much as I should. Perhaps a lesson at the snowdome before I go again would be as equally useful as a boot fitting lol!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
olderscot wrote:
Personally, I would get someone competent to assess the boot fit before deciding to get someone to blow out the toe section. The bruised toes could be an indication the fit is too loose allowing the foot to move forward too much.

Yes, that seems like a possibility to me.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@skimummk, A random thought but could the boots be ok and you are leaning back, lifting the toes and then they are pressing the top of the boots and getting banged about?

I'd personally pop into Bicester (with an appointment) and say you are after a boot check, and see what they say.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skimummk, personally I'd avoid ellis Brigham for boot fitting, I am sure they have some competent people but they are primarily in my view boot sales people and not boot fitters. Go to bicester with the boots, Colin will tell you if he can work with them and then you know where you are at.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
got mine fitted in ellis brigham, with custom fitted insoles, i took them for a spin at gloucester ski slope and one of them really hurt my big toe, i took them back to the shop and they stretched them perfectly and now have no problems, there are plenty of ski boot snobs on here who wont go any where near ellis brigham or snow and rock, but they done a good job for me.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@skimummk, go to Bicester when the season is over and it's quieter and have a proper assessment.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My mate done a straight swap for his new boots he though was great until skiing in them for a day for rental boots that felt like slippers. He still uses the rentals today.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski wrote:
@skimummk, A random thought but could the boots be ok and you are leaning back, lifting the toes and then they are pressing the top of the boots and getting banged about?

I'd personally pop into Bicester (with an appointment) and say you are after a boot check, and see what they say.

Just be aware that at the moment Colin is not taking boot fitting appointments on boots they didn't sell (I called yesterday and was - ahem - put in my place).
snow conditions
Quote:

ski boot snobs

Not snobs, just people who want correctly fitted boots. There are good fitters at most places, but it's hit and miss as I said, so why not go to someone who fits boots for a living and doesn't fit boots between selling other ski gear.
snow report
oldmancoyote wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Just be aware that at the moment Colin is not taking boot fitting appointments on boots they didn't sell (I called yesterday and was - ahem - put in my place).

Busy time of the year. I would expect there would be no problem out of season.

I took in my previous boots that I'd purchased elsewhere for custom insoles and modification.
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
oldmancoyote wrote:

Busy time of the year. I would expect there would be no problem out of season.

I took in my previous boots that I'd purchased elsewhere for custom insoles and modification.

Indeed - and Colin did say so himself yesterday. It's just that the OP's boots seem to need some work now... (so I added some emphasis to my previous post)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy