Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIN disaster (almost)...

Poster: A snowHead
Testing out the new skis / boots with a quick fire lift served tour and mixed snow descent...

The route is called Catwalk. It’s a diagonal (testing) skin track from col de Gentianes across to col de Ferret from where you can ski down the left hand side of the Lac de Cleuson

The up was great in the sunshine. New Mohair skins stuck well to the tricky skin track

Bec des Etagnes looking gnarly. Access through the little notch in the middle

Traversed hard left looking for a way in on the steeper upper slopes. Oooh this looks nice!

Although probably better with 2 skis Skullie

Thank f**k I bought the brakes!

hello ski

Downclimbing certainly easier than up!

Where I thought I’d be fishing it out from Shocked

Moral of the story... Check your DIN’s! Embarassed
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Always judge a chap by his footwear wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I love that you’re so relaxed about losing a ski that you can stop to take photos!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So were your dins wrong on one ski?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Valkyrie wrote:
I love that you’re so relaxed about losing a ski that you can stop to take photos!

I wasn’t very relaxed when the ski went careering down the hill!!!

@Spyderjon both set on 5 by shop. I had seen it and meant to change them but forgot.... now set on 9 but one came off again today on an icy sidestep where I was banging my skis into the slope to get an edge. Not entirely convinced by these bindings!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 12-01-20 22:27; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Before @KenX, says it, I had an off as well yesterday with my ski going down the hill without me rolling eyes

Was in ascent mode and snow-pack not at all soft and I was in a somewhat precarious position and midst kick-turn, all my pressure on my downhill ski and I gave quite a violent kick to snap the new uphill ski around, so much so that the ski pinged off and rolled down the icy slope, luckily coming to rest in a small bush 15m below me.

Was a very tough ascent as we screwed up on the ascent and ended up on hard frozen NW slope traversing across, me without crampons, and it was very technical at times, so much so that I was the one out the back Laughing

And the descent was no better, just so damn cold and snow had not done it's thing, three days before the same slopes were lovely rolling eyes

And all credit to my OH who tackled the ascent well, and put up with the shite snow on the descent.

And then just as we arrive back at the van, a classic "oh shite moment"

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Better today. They mainly behaved!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And took a guide!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
And then just as we arrive back at the van, a classic "oh shite moment"

Laughing Laughing

Had my share of many such “moments”. Next to the car, or at the bottom of run next to lift entrance... Embarassed
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BobinCH wrote:
....@Spyderjon both set on 5 by shop.....

Time to find a new shop!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
....@Spyderjon both set on 5 by shop.....

Time to find a new shop!!

To be fair even with my limited DIY skills, changing the DIN’s is a 30 second job!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BobinCH, what is it with shops changing DINs to a random number and then not mentioning it?! I got mine back set to 4, but luckily I checked before I busted my shoulder again rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarlet wrote:
@BobinCH, what is it with shops changing DINs to a random number and then not mentioning it?! I got mine back set to 4, but luckily I checked before I busted my shoulder again rolling eyes

I imagined they must have seen my svelte physique and silky smooth technique Very Happy Wouldn’t admit to myself the excess pies over Xmas and put it back up to 10!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, the mismatched poles?! Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't understand it either, I mean it's not as if us Brits ever overstate our skiing ability or have more tackle than talent. wink
ski holidays
@BobinCH, @DB, I was told by the concerned shop owner that “these are expert bindings [Marker Alpinist] but you do not look like an expert skier” Shocked as I'm standing in the shop in street clothes. The only way you could add up my stats to get DIN 4 is if you assume I am a beginner. I'm not one to overstate my ability, but the f-kin' cheek of it!

@Ozboy, nowt wrong with mismatched poles, I'm halfway to a pair myself until I inevitably break another one Laughing
snow report
@Scarlet,
I wouldn't worry about it too much, they would probably set Dave Ryding's DIN to 5.
snow report
@DB, “move down a line in the chart for intermediate level, and two lines for expert level. Move up two lines if British.” ?!
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
@DB, “move down a line in the chart for intermediate level, and two lines for expert level. Move up two lines if British.” ?!

Sounds plausible although I've always suspected there was a special line on chart for "Apres Ski Inselaffe".
snow report
@DB, Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy