Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chur as a base for a 4 day trip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, currently looking around for somewhere to go for a 4 day trip at the start of march with a small group (half total beginner/half experienced skiers).

After a lot of digging around it seem that Chur could be a good potential base for Arosa and Lenzerheide. How good is the train to Arosa or Bus to Lenzerheide? There isn't much cheaper accommodation in resort hence me looking at Chur itself.

Thanks in advance!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bozor, The train up to Arosa is brilliant. Super scenic and very easy. 45 mins odd as I recall. A/L is a brilliant resort now they linked the two of them up. The lift up the hill is right by the station in Arosa. I never got the bus to Lenz... as I've always stayed in Arosa and transferred from ZCH on the trains

You can also get to Davos / Klosters pretty easily from Chur (pronounced Ker I think) via a change at Lanquart. It's a great base for a few days. I wish I lived there
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also look at Flims, Laax Falero from Chur. It is a ride on the Post bus but i don't think it takes more than 20/25 mins.
It's a fab area and well worth a visit!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's also ~30 mins by bus to Flims-Laax. I've had a few 2 or 3 day stays in Chur for skiing, though I've normally had a car. I think the buss to Lenzerheide is a bit quicker than the train to Arosa
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@bozor, you say that some of the group are total beginners. If that's the case then they'll need lessons. Do you all need to hire gear? Although not impossible, I'd imagine this would all be more difficult if you're based outside resort, and would lead to it making sense to ski in the same resort each day.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies. What is Chur like for some quiet'ish evening drinking? I am guessing the bus/train does not run that late?

Yeah, we will sort lessons/equipment hire. I've been to quite a few resorts that have hire shops or even stand alone places that let you rent lockers. I was kind of hoping this would be the case here...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We had one night in Chur a couple of weeks back in a Swiss trip. If you want to buy a car, it's great, otherwise it's a souless place. Stayed at the Ibis, it's on top of a McD with a BK a few yards away. We were recomended an Italian down the road, which turned out to be canteen style stinking of cooking fat. Ended up in a hotel restaurant which was OK but expensive. As for bars, the numerous petrol stations sold wine and we made our own.

I'd choose accommodation with catering facilities.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bozor, Went to that area a few years ago and skied at Flims/ Laax, good but nothing special, a mecca for boarders at the time and not my thing, big half-pipe seemed to be the attraction. Also skied at Braunwald, very pleasant picturesque place but not very challenging and limited skiing. Never been back, can't imagine there's much craic in Chur tbph, I'd suggest there are places to spend 4 days that represent better value and provide better skiing, eg Montafon - train to Bregenz/ Bludenz from Zurich.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd consider Chur as a fairly typical Swiss town, so not exactly lively compared to a typical ski resort. That said, there's an old town with a reasonable set of restaurants, and a few bars. The Swiss rail site ([url=https://www.sbb.ch/en/][/url]) also gives bus times and info re lockers at stations - it looks like there are lockers in Arosa, if that helps
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm an Arosa fan and did look at staying in Chur but the cons outweighed any pros. The train takes an hour, which might be a pain going back and forth every day. Chur (prounounced Koor! Very Happy ) is a fairly utilitarian place - a few decent hotels and restaurants but no ski resort ambience. The bus to Lenzerheide takes around 30 minutes or so and you can get to the nearest ski area - Chur-Brambuesch - more quickly. There are lockers and a left luggage office at Arosa station (I've used both).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Val Desire, I was actually looking at that Ibis.

@Markymark29, thanks for that tip. Will have a look.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy