Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Custom boots v Good bootfitter

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys, I'm just after some opinions on whether custom boots (Strolz, Daleboot etc) are worth it, or whether I should give ordinary bootfitters another chance.

I went to what I thought was a good bootfitter about 10 years ago in Chamonix and ended up with a pair of Dalbello Krypton Cross. I was living in Chamonix at the time and spent the whole winter going back to have the boots adjusted. They never fit properly and continue to give me pressure on the outside of my forefoot. I am the first person to take boots off at lunch or at the end of the day, and always have to take shoes if jumping on a bus etc.

That bootfitter at the time told me that I have difficult feet because my heels are narrow and forefoot is wide. I think they may be correct about that, but I'll take their advice with a grain of salt because they've shown me that they were unable to fit me in good boots. Their solution was to put me in the Dalbellos which are narrow enough for my heel, and then to punch out the forefoot, but my forefoot was just too wide for that.

I'm a pretty aggressive skier so I do want some high performance boots. I just don't want them to hurt. I'm willing to spend a bit to get this right (so I'll do custom boots if necessary). But this was the first time I actually had boots properly fitted, so I'm just wondering whether I should just find a more reputable bootfitter first.

Any opinions are welcome - thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go to Colin Martin at Solutions4Feet
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Sizzle Mcgee, don't go to an "ordinary bootfitter" go to a good, well recommended bootfitter. Solutions4Feet is one such example (that's who use) but there are others.

Where are you located?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A good boot fitter should send you to somewhere like Daleboots if your feet aren't suitable for off-the-shelf shells. I know that Colin Martin at Solutions4Feet has done that with a couple of the people I teach, so if you're close enough to travel to Bicester that might be a good place to start.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's definitely worth visiting a good bootfitter first before going down the custom route. They'll know whether you need custom boots or not and will advise you accordingly.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@moseyp - thanks.

@Layne - thanks also and yeah of course I intend to go to a well recommended bootfitter. By "ordinary" I mean traditional bootfitter, not one that is using a system like Strolz or Daleboot.

I'm not actually in the UK so would be looking for a bootfitter somewhere in or near the alps (France or Austria would be best) although I plan to be in the UK around Xmas/New Year.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Sizzle Mcgee, As per @moseyp, Colin at Solutions for Feet - he will be honest. If he can fit you boots he will, but also I have been in his shop when he has suggested a customer tries Daleboots, as the others would be unlikely to be satisfactory
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks heaps guys, that's given me a game plan. I'll see if Solutions4Feet will be open over Xmas/New Years. Otherwise I'll be grateful for any recommendations in Chamonix, or failing that, L2A/Alp D'huez region or Tarentaise Valley.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are several threads on Strolz boots on here. Here is one example:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=128435

From a quick skim it seems some love them, some not so much.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Might be worth asking on this thread:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=148407&start=40

For recommended bootfitters in Chamonix.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great, thank you @Layne!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Sizzle Mcgee, I, my wife, and various friends, have all successfully used sole boot lab in Chamonix.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Plastics have changed a lot in the last 10 years and many boots can be blown out by a large amount. There's probably more width/volume choices as well.

+1 for Colin at S4F in Bicester and Steve Rooke at Sole in Chamonix. You'll need to make an appointment at both.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks very much guys for all the responses. I'm going to have a look at Sole as well. That's really helpful and I'm looking forward to getting this sorted out.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Sizzle Mcgee, Have PM'ed you.
snow report
@Sizzle Mcgee, Go see Graham at Rivington Alpine if preference is to have fitted in UK, he's very good.

I've never tried Dale boots but a friend bought a pair and said they were really poor (heavy and numb), and he binned them after one season. Strolz are great boots but they are mega expensive and i'd have thought off the shelf boots are pretty good these days if properly fitted, I've never had problems with my Dynafits last 2 pairs, but had horrendous pain from Nordica, Salomon and Tecnica in the past, ime you've just got to try and ski them and find which fits your foot best, in which case i'd always buy in resort not here in UK, more choice, generally (but not always) more experienced bootfitters ime, and you can keep going back to fine tune as you're skiing about (usually more deals about too if you buy late season). By the way i've got same duck feet as you (narrow heel, v wide foot)....try Dynafit footbed, mine are perfect but it took years to find them, now they are really comfy.
ski holidays
Steve or James at SOLE in Chamonix are both good. The guys at Concept Pro (two norwegian guys) were also very good and friendly but I think they've both left. Whoever Concept employs can reasonably assumed to be good as well though.
ski holidays
Sizzle Mcgee wrote:
I'll see if Solutions4Feet will be open over Xmas/New Years. O

You will need to make an appointment well in advance, I suggest you contact Colin now...
ski holidays
@Sizzle Mcgee, for Chamonix, then either Steve and his Team at Sole, or Jules/Damien et al at Sanglard sports.... as for the debate about strolz/daleboots i will dispel a few myths about them

strolz is a foam injected boot, quite heavy and if well done it works for the right foot, i overheard a fitter in one of their dealers (not the main shop i might add) telling a client that they measure the foot go up by a size and fill the liner with foam as it is more comfortable this way!!! it works for some people not for others, this is also not the correct protocol...., Daleboot is lighter for sure and a compression foam liner, tends to be more accommodating of biomechanical issues, i refer a few people to them with what we call the holy trilogy of F*&ked feet (wide forefoot high instep and zero flexion) again like the strolz if done correctly it works for some people but not for others, each has there merits for the right foot as does a pair of boots custom fitted by a fitter, there are a few factors that determine what a fitter will do to select a boot one of them which is often overlooked is the actual available range of ankle joint dorsiflexion (how much your ankle flexes without your foot twisting/distorting/lifting form the floor) should this not be matched to the appropriate angles in the boot shell then you will get pain either numb toes, ball of foot pain or lateral border pressure... so based on your original post i would think that either your ankle joint is tight or you have a problem with the foot loading the lateral side it might be a boot needs made wider BUT if there is space in the shell when you are stood in the boot not skiing then it is most likely either ankle flexion or the interface between your foot and the footbed causing your issues
snow report
I also have narrow heels, both my race based piste boots and my off piste boots have a 98mm last and in the case the of piste boots I use a foam liner as it really grips my ankle. I've had two really good boot fitters in the past (the first from SOLE), my current one is an Austrian WC race fitter, fits a lot of the stars and really knows his stuff. It can be difficut to get a first appointment though, picking a quiet period helps.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 25-10-19 7:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Thanks very much guys. I have a lot of info here to get me sorted out.

Just thought I should mention too, so I don't cast a shadow of doubt over all the bootfitters in Chamonix - the place that sold me the poorly fitting boots last time is no longer in business. It actually looks like they were only operating for a few years in total so I'm guessing their reputation caught up with them.
snow report
@Sizzle Mcgee, i know exactly the shop you are talking about, the ones mentioned are long term businesses unlike the one you used previously (that said one part of the business was a good fitter the trouble was not the fitting)
ski holidays
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I was in Park City Utah last year and went to Park City Ski boot for a fitting . Fantastic service from Brent ( who has provided services to the US ski team ) . They only sell ski boots thats their business .
I just had the one fitting and the adjustments were done before i left the shop and had no reason to return as the the boots fitted like a pair of slippers . Skiing for 6 to 7 hours a day without any discomfort at all Very Happy
latest report
@Ripstick96, Welcome to SHs.

Not very helpful for Europe though.
snow report
My apologies i didn`t read the thread correctly about the guy living in Europe i just thought it was about the benefits of finding a good bootfitter
snow conditions
Ripstick96 wrote:
My apologies i didn`t read the thread correctly about the guy living in Europe i just thought it was about the benefits of finding a good bootfitter

TBH it kind of was and I think you are just reiterating what can be done with a good bootfitter.
latest report
It's funny actually when I read the title of the thread I was a bit confused. Because to me when you go to a good bootfitter you do get to my mind a custom boot - as the boot is chosen to best fit your feet, it is modified further to your feet where necessary, you get a custom footbed and often the liner is moulded to your foot. At least that is what I got. But then I was reminded of the Strolz or Daleboot systems which perhaps just take a step further.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne, sort of akin to made to measure vs bespoke...

@Ripstick96, no apology needed Happy what we might need is a stickied thread /list of good (and bad) fitters.
ski holidays
@ripstick96 and @Layne - sorry for the confusion but I appreciate your input anyway. FYI I had heaps of modifications done on those old boots as well as custom footbeds, heat molded liner etc. But I think the boots were never going to fit me - they just sold me what they had instead of sending me away. Again - I've gotta point out that this bootfitter is no longer in business so don't let this tarnish the reputation of any of the guys currently fitting boots in Chamonix Smile

The responses here have confirmed for me that I just need to go to another reputable bootfitter anyway. A list of good/bad ones would be pretty helpful @under a new name.
ski holidays
@Sizzle Mcgee, so in Cham, ordered as indicated,

Concept Pro - as family first

SOLE - as Steve and Seb are top chaps

Sanglard (Jules) - as he is also a top chap but I don't know him so very well

I don't believe you'll have a problem with any. They don't all stock quite the same ranges, Steve might comment if he's lurking - I think they probably have the widest range, certainly of brands, but that's just a thought, don't know for sure.

My only caveat is that the current broad (stronger than usual) trend seems to be a snugger fit than the less aggressive skier might prefer ... so if you want a less than racerish fit, you do need to make sure that's taken on board.
snow report
Thanks very much @under a new name, I think I'll head there this winter and pay them a visit.
latest report
Mark at Surefeet valdisere brilliant ,will not sell a boot if he has not got the correct one for you .
snow report
Following this thread with great interest ... Had problems with rental boots when I first started skiing 20 years ago so I soon bought my own off the shelf (with minimal staff input) .. it soon became apparent that they were too big so I decided to splash out on a pair of Daleboots from Kitzbuhel. Big improvement but as my ski standard improved I was still never 100% happy with them. In fairness they got good use so with time liners pack down etc ..Fast forward to 2018 when I went to Canada for a six week ski course. Decided to leave the Daleboots behind and booked three months in advance with the boot fitter recommend by the ski school. Had boots fitted on day three and was impressed at how light the new boots were compared to the old. As well as being lighter the latest plastics can be stretched / punched out a lot more than was previously feasable. End result (after the physical pain of the fitting process) was a pair of boots that yielded an immediate and noticable improvement in my skiing. My instructor commented on same without realizing I had changed boots. Over the next week I returned for two tweaks (adjusted stiffness / small further stretch required) and the end result was a pair of boots that fit like a glove and resulted I me being able to ski every day for 5+ weeks without having to loosen or take off my boots at lunchtime as had previously been the norm. The combination of an expert boot fitter and modern stretchable plastice produced ski boots that were worth every penny spent. Best of luck in your quest. I hope you get a similar happy ending.
snow report
Based on advice above, I visited SOLE in Chamonix for a new pair of boots last week.

For context, I've always had issue with pain in outside of my wide feet. I've had boots blown out several times before, but never really had the problem resolved. Also troubled by burning pain in the balls of my feet which always comes on when skiing hard.

I booked in with SOLE, and turned up on day one of ski trip having not packed existing boots- full commitment! Very reassuring fitting and good range of boots available. Had my feet measured, and was a little alarmed when I was put in a shell 2 sizes smaller than what was being replaced (K2 Mindbender). Principle cited was to size to the length of my feet, support with a good footbed to limit length growth when weighted, then stretch out pressure points. Stuck with it, and ended up with most comfortable ever first day in a new pair of ski boots. (this was my third pair in about 10 years) I went back for a couple of tweaks during the week and was well looked after. Also had some heel lifts inserted which were very helpful. The boot fitter who fitted me (James) was really enthusiastic to hear my feedback on the fitting.

I went back with my dad who bought a pair of boots during a very good fitting with Seb, and my little brother took in a pair of 5 year old boots he'd always been troubled with. He was persuaded to keep the existing boots, and had a new footbed and full re-moulding of his shells. Both returned during the week for tweaks and were warmly welcomed and assisted. All three of us were very happy with the service and result. Would strongly recommend. Thanks for advice above.
latest report
I had a pair fitted by Seb years ago, he really knows his stuff.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy