Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Australia Snowy Mountains Fires

Poster: A snowHead
The NSW ski resorts of Thredbo and Perisher Valley are under serious thread of being devestates by current fires as is the gateway town of Jinderbyne. Please spare a thought for those under threat and also the ones staying behind to defend property. Thredbo is special to me as it’s where I leaned to ski and spend many years progressing and know a few property owners. My father in law is bunkered down at his farm near Braidwood a couple of hundred kms away also ready to defend assets and animals (please don’t judge as it’s a complex issue as to stay or leave when one is part of a community and fire fighting volunteers need to be supported).

http://youtube.com/v/H6w7tH2g2SY
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Ozboy, awful for everyone concerned. I can't begin to imagine what it must be like. Best wishes for you and your family in the coming days
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@holidayloverxx, Thanks - seems the wind has been kind and Thredbo is safe for now but fires are still active and residents are not yet able to return. Looks like the small but historic Mt Selwyn ski resort has been extensively damaged Sad

https://www.newschoolers.com/news/read/Fires-Australian-Ski-Resorts
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Its truly awful. I have family and friends in threatened areas, indeed one has already had his property completely destroyed. As you say its a complicated decision as to stay or flee.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A half-billion animals have died from the Aussie bushfires.

Not to mention thousands of pets (like horses) and livestock (cattle) roasted alive.

Wildlife has suffered far worse (from these almost-entirely-manmade fires).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold wrote:
(from these almost-entirely-manmade fires).

Wrong!! These are fires in remote areas mostly caused by nature - lighting strikes in hot, dry and windy conditions burning a prolonged drought. The fires create their own storm systems and well as flying ambers many kilometres in front of the fire front propagate the problem. Many are stated by humans either through arson or back-burning, undergrowth clearing that get out of control.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ozboy wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
(from these almost-entirely-manmade fires).

Wrong!! These are fires in remote areas mostly caused by nature - lighting strikes in hot, dry and windy conditions burning a prolonged drought. The fires create their own storm systems and well as flying ambers many kilometres in front of the fire front propagate the problem. Many are stated by humans either through arson or back-burning, undergrowth clearing that get out of control.

Nice try.

They are 80-95% manmade.

Have a chart wink

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Whitegold, source??
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well, that settles that then.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Wankergold,
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We left my home hill of Falls Creek the day before a “Watch & Act” notice, which basically states: getting out now is the safest option, otherwise activate your fire plan if staying. It was already a little scary - the smoke was really thick. Dry lightning had just set off a fire only 1 or 2km away, as the crow flies. A compulsory evacuation order was issued the day after for Falls and surrounding areas, including another resort, Mt Hotham.

The more benign weather over the last 36 hours, with a little rain, has eased the threat somewhat. It is however far from over.

This has been horrific fire season, with comparisons being made to some of worst, like 1851, 1939, 2009, etc. The scale of the current fires is hard to imagine without seeing a map. Well over a thousand homes have been lost, and some have lost everything, including their lives. The heartening thing is how people are pulling together to help those in need. A lot of money has been raised. People are offering shelter to strangers. It will take a long time to rebuild those communities and people’s lives.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://www.ga.gov.au/scientific-topics/community-safety/bushfire

It’s true some of our bushfires are started by humans but the majority are by lightening strikes from ‘dry’ storms.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stanton wrote:
@Wankergold,

Expert at one-handed MS Excel.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ulmerhutte, glad things seem better right now and hopefully it’s heading you can shortly return to your home.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ozboy, thanks. I actually live in Melbourne, but am a member of a club lodge at Falls. Been skiing and bushwalking there for a lifetime, hence I think of it (to use an American slang term) as my home hill.

I hope I have not mislead people - the imminent threat to Falls Creek has eased for the moment, but with more hot weather predicted, the situation is far from safe. There are other areas around the south-east that are still facing considerable danger from uncontrolled, and uncontrollable, fires. The current rain is useful, but we need days of drenching, monsoon-level rains to put the fires out. Then, of course, that much rain will create the risks of landslides, flooding etc arising from soil no longer anchored by vegetation. Tough country.
ski holidays
https://www.2gb.com/selwyn-snow-resort-suffers-devastating-damage-in-bushfires/
Mt Selwyn ski area has been badly affected by the fires.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy