Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 Days Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

We (3 men aged 56, 31, and 26) are off to Chamonix on the 26th January 2020, for 3 days skiing, and staying at La Vert Hotel. We are all intermediate skiers who are comfortable on reds and the odd black (if not too steep or bumpy). We are high mileage skiers. We have looked at the Vallee Blanche on youtube and think it would be too difficult for us at the moment.

Could you guys please suggest how we should spend our 3 days in Chamonix. We normally have our partners in tow but this time we will be able to motor on ahead by ourselves.

Cheers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd give skiing a go. It's great fun wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Vallee Blanche via standard route isn't that difficult - if you are comfortable on reds that would be sufficient.

Skiing above Argentière is the best but you'll probably want to do 3 different sectors - one each day - if you have never been before.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As @Layne, says, the standard VB is not at all difficult and spectacular views on a clear day. You do need a guide however as it is over glaciated terrain. And not worth it if you can't see the views.

I also agree, if good weather do one day each at Brevent-Flegere, Grands Montets and La Tour. If it's bad weather head to Les Houches and trees.

No idea what the Vert's like as a hotel but they had a cracking "Man and Wolf" IPA on in the summer. A good Sunday roast as well.

You might get more thoughts if you make your thread title a little more directional? It's a bit useless as it is...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
if good weather do one day each at Brevent-Flegere, Grands Montets and La Tour.

This. The best skiing is in Argentiere (Grands Montets). But Flegere is worth a look and La Tour, particularly the run down into Vallorcine which is also good in flat light. I'd do one area each day, its not worth the faff to move to other areas. In multiple trips to Chamonix I spent 90% of the time in Argentiere and was very happy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

ts not worth the faff to move to other areas

This.

We normally ski Brev-Fleg as it's 2 minutes from our door...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Vallee Blanche is practically a bunny slope.

Anyone can do it (with a guide).

How fat is the 56yo?

Slamming him from sealevel up to 3800m, and sliding 10-20km at high altitude and low oxygen, may kill him.

That will be your biggest challenge.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Whitegold, Oh, you've hit a new low.

Keep digging.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
La Vert used to offer a free minibus transfer to the lifts. It's pretty popular so worth reserving a good time slot early so you can avoid the public bus and avoid lift queus etc.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the replies everyone. Is there enough skiing in Argentiere from the mid station? We might give the Vallée Blanche a miss this time. One of our party is getting married in April and we have been warned to bring him home in one piece
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
At the moment it looks like we will opt for Brevent Flegere, La Tour and either Argentiere or Les Houches
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
my friend manages le vert hotel , for a two star it's crazy value the food is awesome
Put the grande montet at the top of your list trust me ,i'm a decent skier there is something about
la tour i love it's not challenging on piste as such , but set out real nice
brevent and flegere are my least fav i'd say but that is being picky
Just an awesome resort
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
The Vallee Blanche is practically a bunny slope
A very common misconception, which is why people (especially without guides) die on it each year.

The ability to ski any type of snow - particularly powder after a snowfall is a pre-requisite. Otherwise be prepared to spend a very long time on the run...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bitsand,

- (Argentière) - The Grands Montets stil has Bochard, Herse and the Lavancher bowl operating. Way more skiing than you need for a weekend.

- Vallée Blanche absolutely fine and generally a tracked out mostly flat-ish trail. The reason people die is they don't take a guide and fall down crevasses. It is not that hard. But no point in less than perfect weather.

From the Vert I'd kick off with Brevent-Flegere. And see how you get on. Depends on the wx of course as if claggy, Les Houches has trees.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whitegold wrote:

How fat is the 56yo?

Some people in their 50's are still running sub 20 minute 5k's Whitegold.

They will be in the top few percentiles for runners. Like you are in the top few percentiles for idiots.
latest report
Hi I have been to cham before.
Is it better to get the train to LH
And GM. We are staying just outside Chamonix next to vert hotel. I know the buses are very busy. Just a thought??
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy