Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Career break in the Alps

Poster: A snowHead
I'm taking a break from 21/dec to 21/3 mar and getting my dream done by going to the Alps for (most of) the season - I've been interested in properties in Saint Gervais so this would be a good chance to try harder the resort and have some time that doesn't feel like a holiday, so not really inclined to keep moving from area to area but also feel a little concerned of getting a little bored after several weeks.

Points in favour of St Gervais to me are

- easy access to Geneva airport with fair prices (in general) - I'm 100% of the time but the missus will be back and forth
- very pretty town
- Evasion has a pretty decent size and also Espace Diamond within easy reach
- is also pretty close to Chamonix (a personal favourite) and not far from PDS and Grand Massif

I'm also hoping by them will have IASI L1 and potentially get the L2 but unaware about coaching in the area.

Has anyone done a season/part-season in the area? Also looking for a place to rent in case anyone has a contact!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Gustavobs we are there from 18 jan to the 4 april doing much the same as you, we have found accomodation via airbnb and homeaway, we are having to move for three weeks during the half term as the place we are staying was already taken up by the chap who owns it
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gustavobs wrote:
I'm also hoping by them will have IASI L1 and potentially get the L2 but unaware about coaching in the area.

Some of the BASS Megeve people are IASI tutors.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That sounds wonderful, @Gustavobs, how can you even think of being bored? There will be plenty of SHs to link up with so you don't get lonely. St Gervais a great choice.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
St Gervais is very low, so most of the season will be snowless intown.

No snow = no buzz.

Head higher.

Try Verbier, Avoriaz, Courmayeur, or Courchevel 1650.

Or Flaine, if you need somewhere closest to Geneva.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
robs1 wrote:
Hi Gustavobs we are there from 18 jan to the 4 april doing much the same as you, we have found accomodation via airbnb and homeaway, we are having to move for three weeks during the half term as the place we are staying was already taken up by the chap who owns it

Hi robs1, I’ve settled for Chamonix after all, will buy the unlimited pass so should be around St Gervais area too, let’s arrange some time on slopes and a drink afterwards!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs wrote:
Gustavobs wrote:

Some of the BASS Megeve people are IASI tutors.

Yeap, found that later on, already made contact with Derek Tate and his wife Shona, from BASS to discuss that, should be getting lessons with them!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
That sounds wonderful, @Gustavobs, how can you even think of being bored? There will be plenty of SHs to link up with so you don't get lonely. St Gervais a great choice.

I doubt too! I’ve settled for Chamonix after all but will be around St Gervais too!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gustavobs, I'll be around a fair bit this winter in Cham Smile Exact dates dependant on work, but I'll have a season pass and apartment.

BASS are great - I've not had lessons with Derek yet, but have had a few from Shona, and they've all been brilliant.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@fixx, nice one - quite a few of us in the area. Let's all keep in touch
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes that sounds a good idea, when do they release the season passes for MB unlimited can only find ones that last for three weeks @Gustavobs, @fixx,
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@robs1, I was told in October they start selling the season passes
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If anyone is looking for a seasonal rent in St Gervais , I live in the town and have a number of owners who would consider renting for the winter whilst considering selling their properties.

2 bed apartments and 3 bed chalet .

Not a commercial venture for me , just contacts that I can put you in touch with .

Just drop me a line for more info
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
now you tell us rolling eyes Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes sorry - I guess AIRBNB and Home away option is not the cheapest , easiest way.

Being on site you tend to know different people . If you need something now or in the future , give me a call on the number below

Andrew
ski holidays
ok may well pop in and see while we are there
snow report
@Gustavobs, what did you find out of interest si'l vous plait?
snow report
@robs1, annual MBU passes slightly cheaper on sale 1.10-6.10 ...
snow conditions
And we are now permanently Cham resident ...
snow conditions
Gainz wrote:

property-wise? I made a deal for an airbnb property
snow report
Gustavobs wrote:
Gainz wrote:

property-wise? I made a deal for an airbnb property

ok. I used airbnb twice in my life and both times the properties got cancelled with no alternative.
latest report
one of the places we are staying in this year is an airbnb but we have already paid in full so there would be some serious problems if they back out now,
snow conditions
I can’t count how many times I’ve used but especially for a season it is a risk although host cancelling a trip does not come without consequences to them, such as the same dates blocked for reservation, in this case 3 months blocked, plus some others fines less impactful. It doesn’t resolve the guest problem but it’s a slight protection. Also it helps to check the history of cancellation of the host and if he’s taken seasons before. But yes there is a chance
ski holidays
@robs1, we paid in full too. we then went to booking.com they cancelled a week before we went and after a fight we got alternative accommodation that was on the same level maybe slightly better than our original choice. Their alternative option was effing shite man - sorry still mad about those 2 scumbag companies.

anyway @Gustavobs, good luck.
ski holidays
@Gainz, Some right shits about, a deals a deal as far as Im concerned but some seem to have little decency these days, the place we are staying for a month at the beginning and a month at the end is owned by an English chap, might even be on here, so hopefully he will be ok
snow conditions
Gainz wrote:
@robs1, we paid in full too. we then went to booking.com they cancelled a week before we went and after a fight we got alternative accommodation that was on the same level maybe slightly better than our original choice. Their alternative option was effing shite man - sorry still mad about those 2 scumbag companies.

They both sound pretty dodgy from reports in the press here, or at least they seem to have trouble screening scammers. A lot of cases of French people turning up and finding no accommodation where they had booked and paid in full.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 3-01-20 15:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Most rental agents get regular enquiries from potential clients wanting to book somewhere for longer than the usual 1-2 weeks, often the whole season. It's not unusual. You should expect to get a discount for a season rental: apart from Christmas, New Year, Half term and Easter, in most resorts the non-school-holiday weeks are uncertain in terms of bookings. An owner like me may be very happy to get a season booking and up-front deposit at a discount over the usual weekly rate, because at least the income is guaranteed. Downside for the owner is, of course, that they can't use the place. But normally, there are some owners who have a season where they can't use the place themselves, or want to try somewhere else for a change.

So talk to the Tourist Office and go round all the main Immobiliers with your enquiry. Just email them.

Having to move out while the owner uses the place is ridiculous. That is trying to have your cake and eat it, in my opinion. An owner should expect to give a discount and lose use of the place in return for a period booking with a big up-front deposit.
ski holidays
@stgervais estate agent, looking for a month rental (second week January to first week Feb) in st Gervais. Will have small well behaved dog. Looking for 2 bedrooms so we can have friends out to . Interested in any suggestions.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stgervais estate agent wrote:
If anyone is looking for a seasonal rent in St Gervais , I live in the town and have a number of owners who would consider renting for the winter whilst considering selling their properties.

2 bed apartments and 3 bed chalet .

Not a commercial venture for me , just contacts that I can put you in touch with .

Just drop me a line for more info

Chances are you aren't checking this thread anymore but would you be able to give me an idea of the price for a season in these places you mention? Partner and I are thinking of trying to live out in the alps (she is freelance and I am working on it) and it would be good to know what sort of costs we're talking.

Thanks
snow conditions
klang180 wrote:
Chances are you aren't checking this thread anymore but would you be able to give me an idea of the price for a season in these places you mention? Partner and I are thinking of trying to live out in the alps (she is freelance and I am working on it) and it would be good to know what sort of costs we're talking.

Thanks

Depending on what you want to live in, where you want to go (and when) there are still places available from €4,500 for this season.

Drop me an email (marcellus@livetheseason.com) if you want to discuss further.
latest report
marcellus wrote:
klang180 wrote:

Thanks

Depending on what you want to live in, where you want to go (and when) there are still places available from €4,500 for this season.

Drop me an email (marcellus@livetheseason.com) if you want to discuss further.

Thanks for the reply, with over a month now passed it might be too late but I will have a chat with the other half and see what she thinks, sounds like it might be a little too much for this year though.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy