Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is Mottaret horribly expensive ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hot chocolate up the mountains in Bulgaria is 80p, and lunch with a bottle of mineral water is about £2.50.

So go on, scare me....
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mike.healy, BOO !
You will need a Meribel Pass or a full 3v pass. A Courchevel pass will be no use in Mottaret. As a rough guide 4X the price in Mottaret
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mike.healy, you might be able to get a bottle of mineral water for £2.50. Take sandwiches... wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mike.healy, just back from Val T lunch in Mottaret...burger + chips x2 1litre evian + 2 cokes €40 ish if i remember rightly (it was very nice though)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM, it would have to be for that price!!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman, Just to make sure I understand this properly. Are you saying that a lift pass in Mottaret is 4x the price of a lift pass in Courchevel. So maybe £125 in Courchevel and £500 in Mottaret ? Or the other way round ?

And is this an indication of other prices in Mottaret, is it very expensive ?

I am toying with the idea of a late bargain week away but I have no knowledge of Alp/Pyrenees resorts apart from 1 week in LDA last July.

I don't want to find a cheap deal and then spend the whole week annoyed by steep prices. LDA was ok but it was summer and I didn't eat on the mountain.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 30-03-06 9:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mike.healy, a 6 day 3V pass is Euro 210. Yuo can probalbly buy one for Meribel only, but what's the point of that.

CEM's prices sound horrific. I don't remember the area being that expensive at Xmas (although we didn't eat in Mottaret). We usually lunched at Courchevel 1850 and had a decent lunch (pizza, pasta, even the odd steak tatare) and a glass or two of wine for that sort of money.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mike.healy, Laughing Its a marketing idea of mine but I dont think it will catch on. I posted the stuff on Courchevel as I noticed you enquiring about it on another thread.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, Thanks. On here its hard to tell when people are joking.

richmond, Is Meribel very small then ? I am happy skiing the same runs several times, Bansko kept me entertained for a week with only 65 Km of run and I probably only did 70% of them, I would happily go back there.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mike - if you are staying in 1550, Courchevel is in my view a far better skiing area than meribel and should easily keep most people busy for a week if fully open. I also suspect that conditions will detoriate in meribel before courchevel. You need to decide whether you want the 3 Vallees pass or courchevel only. I think the diff is about 40 euros.

Before I need to duck there are good runs in meribel. The 3 vallees pass also opens the VT area. Meribel' ski area Is roughly the same size as courchevel.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mike.healy, I daresay that Meribel is a decent sized resort on its own, but it's good to have the option of travelling around a bit without having to worry if you are moving outside your pass area. There are a couple of decentish restaurants in St Martin, for example, which is worth pottering over to. If you go up to Saulire, you might feel tempted to ski down to Courchevel 1850, as there are some good runs down that way.

I don't think that you save much by buying a single area pass; if you're going to go outside your area more than once or twice, get a 3V pass. The snow conditions can vary from valley to valley as well; at Xmas the best skiing I found was on the Val Thorens/St Martin side of Meribel valley, much better than Courchevel where we were staying, so the 3V pass was useful.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No, its just 'horrible'.

In my opinion that is Very Happy

See thread 'Some thoughhts on Meribel' in Resorts forum....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IIRC, Meribel and Mottaret are different lift companies, despite being the same valley, with a girt big sign saying "You are now entering Meribel" or something like that, so a single area pass may restritct you fairly substantially. However, this could be just scaremongering, as I had a 3V pass and didn't care.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
richmond, just found a receipt 38 € for the food listed, this was at the cote Brune which is right at the bottom of the lifts and quite nice, when i go on holiday i try not to think about these things, after all i do not get too many holidays, best lunch was in Val T cost €46 but we ate well and the weather was shocking so it was a treat, sure youi can get a slice of pizza and a bottle of water for less it all depends on what you want.
latest report
CEM, I wasn't disputing your bill! I think that we found pretty good value for money in Courchevel 1850, which sounds surprising.
ski holidays
1993 skiing down to Meribel from Saulire with 3 friends in hot thirst quenching conditions. Stopped off at amountain restaurant (sorry don't know which one) ordered a 1 litre bottle of mineral water to share. Promptly arrived with the bill for 40 FF (about £5 in those days) !

Not expensive but extortionate .. but well worth it at the time. Don't know what that would be now allowing for 13 years of inflation etc. Guess we were just ripped off and being young we never said anything.
ski holidays
We also found good value in 1850. The boulangerie in the Forum building.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
We also found good value in 1850. The boulangerie in the Forum building.

They do very nice panini there. Often use it for a quick lunch when I don't want to spend too much cash. Also the Kalico (by the piste at the bottom of the forum building) does good value pizza.
snow report
nice mountain restaurant at restaurant at top of chenus bubble - chicken and sea food paella -12 euros. ITs a nice terrance. Just go round to the left as you get out of bubble
latest report
mike.healy, if you're looking for a late week away we have space for the last week of april in La Rosiere for £266.00 in a fully catered chalet, the Espace San Bernardo lift pass (France & Italy) is 150Euros for six days, a beer is 2.6Euros, a coffee or hot choc is 2.5Euros in mountain restuarants and it's even cheaper in Italy. There are 150 kms of pistes, there's almost 4 metres of snow at altitude and 2 metres in the village. I'm certain you won't find better value anywhere in the Alps.
snow report
Wrong week but thanks anyway David@traxvax
snow report
Another resort on offer is Val D'Isere, snow looks deep there, any comments on that one ?
snow conditions
mike.healy, you really like the upper end of the resort spectrum Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
mike.healy wrote:
Another resort on offer is Val D'Isere, snow looks deep there, any comments on that one ?

Very big ski area, lots of good skiing, not great for low intermediates, are the usual comments, and from my experience (1 week) I'd agree with them. It didn't seem especially expensive (for a ski resort) or especially cheap. Bits of it are distinctly high and there's glacier skiing, so snow should be as good as pretty much anywhere. It's also reputed to be full of crinkly haired Ruperts, but as we stayed in Tignes (which didn't seem to be) I couldn't possibly comment. I don't really care who else is in the resort, anyway, within limits.
latest report
Face it, 3V and Espace Killy are the most expensive because they are the best. You get what you pay for. They will both have masses of skiing of the best quality available at easter and there are always ways of avoiding high prices. A search of this site will give you plenty of good-value recommendations for both places. snowHead
snow conditions
dan100, I agree with you about Courchevel 1550, its got good access to the pistes, but isn't as expensive as 1850.

Meribel is quite limited for beginners with very few greens and blues, although I have heard it is reasonable for all others. However, if you are going to do all the 3V then why stay somewhere as expensive as Mottaret?
snow report
Why do people pay silly prices ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Paul Mason, because they refuse to go to somewhere less expensive/less crowded!
snow report
Indeed, if they are paying a lot, they assume the product must be good
ski holidays
I don't think you should worry too much about the price. If you are drawn towards a resort you haven't been to before it means you are meant to go there, so just go! Mottaret didn't seem that costly to me, you could get a slice of hot pizza for a couple of quid. I don't think you want to be eating too much during the day anyway, cos after a big lunch your body wants to rest so you could become lethargic and ruin your afternoon of ski-ing. Drinks are the most important - water is the best thing and you could do a lot worse than buying yourself a bladder which fits nicely under your clobber so you can rehydrate any time .
You're going ski-ing, it's not a cheap sport but it is getting cheap, hence one often hears chav banter these days. Keep it posh i say.CHAVS and scroungers OUT !
latest report
hollybee, ok then bye folks - I'll crawl back under my working class stone and go camping with a bbq and box of stella - see you folks its been nice meeting and talking with you all.

Frosty the Snowman, Charlanefc you better pack as well Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
Paul Mason, I think I'll be leaving too - I can't afford to waste money skiing in Europe most of the season... Laughing
ski holidays
Paul Mason, But we are neither Chavs or Scrounger. Louts would be a better description.
Wear The Fox Hat, Glad to see that skiing in the States is now classed as a capital expenditure wink
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, Glad to see that skiing in the States is now classed as a capital expenditure wink

That reminds me - I must get a receipt from admin for the EoSB... Wink Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy